• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TL130 with a miss

JD8875

I've got an 06 Takeuchi TL130 that just rolled 2600 hours. It's developed a miss when you load it hard. It will start missing if you throttle it down it will lay out and quit missing. When I got it 4 years ago at 1700 hours, some genius had bypassed the water separator. I hooked the water separator back up, changed filters and fluids at that time initially. I'm leaning towards a bad injector. I've done some reading on changing the injectors on a Yanmar and they don't like sound like a fun job. Anybody been there before or got any tips/tricks to offer?

Thanks
John

74inchShovel

Can you force it to miss by sending hydraulics into relief, bucket curl all the way back, lift all the way down? If so, have someone in the cab doing this while you crack high pressure lines one at a time at the injector to see if if there is one injector that when the high pressure is cracked does not change the miss. Does miss seem to follow engine rpm? Or does it feel more like fuel starvation?

JD8875

No just maxing out a hydraulic circuit isn't enough load to make it miss. The miss is in time with the engine RPM, in that if you are running at high throttle then the miss is faster paced. It's not as prone to do it at half throttle and under as it is at higher engine RPMs. Which is what makes me lean towards an injector with a failing pattern as the fuel load would be more at higher throttle and more prone to poor combustion.

Thanks for the reply
John

partsandservice

I may have misunderstood , but did you state you have 1000hrs on the fuel filters? If so, I would change them first. Any engine smoke when missing?

DIYDAVE

If you can somehow load it to the point, where it starts to miss, then isolate which cyl is doing the miss, you will be a long way toward finding it. If the miss is static (unchanging, from cyl to cyl) then I'd agree with a bad injector...

JD8875

Fuel filter had about 300 hours on it. I sawpped it out tonight but haven't got a chance to run it again. This machine has had this same issue since I bought it, just seems to be getting worse now.

Engine smokes black pretty routinely when running. Enough so that it's picking up carbon in the exhaust.

JD8875

Had a thought this evening... If I flip the cab up and ease it against the tree in front of my shop.... I might be able to load it and be able to get to the injector lines enough to try to isolate the cylinder.

Thanks guys
John

heymccall

@2600hrs, I'm more inclined to believe you have a fuel supply issue.
On my TL150s, my illustrious operators remove the filler neck strainer when fueling (because it's faster), then proceed to grab the nozzle out of the bed of the landscape truck, resulting in dirt, rocks, and straw in the fuel system.

First to plug is the tank outlet elbow, followed shortly thereafter by plugging of the water separator inlet elbow. And that water separator has proven worthless in "prefiltering " the fuel to the final fuel filter.

So, first and foremost, disconnect the separator inlet fuel hose, and lower it toward ground (lower than the fuel level). It should run at full stream. If not, remove the fuel cap and blast a little air up there.
Then, remove the separator unit and verify no blockage in the inlet.

I finally added an inlet strainer in the tank, and replaced the separator with a stanadyne fm100 w/ fuel bowl.

Oh, and verify that the fuel pump "rattles" in operation. That'll also give your symptoms.
As for the soot in the exhaust, I'd call it normal, unless you're filling the neighborhood with black smoke.

JD8875

I've been through the plugging fuel lines. This machine had an issue with biologicals in the fuel tank. I chased that for months. I agree that "water separator" is a joke. I will look at replacing it as a whole. I don't have an inlet screen so I'll Fab one of those as well. Didn't know this machine came with one. I've considered adding an inline prefilter ahead of the fuel filter. I had to do that on my back hoe because it also had a biological issue from sitting before I bought it. Sounds like it's time to tear apart the fuel system ahead of the injector pump before I dig under the valve cover. All of those things would be cheaper and easier than a set of injectors.

Thanks guys. I'll start down this list tomorrow and let you know what I come across.

John

JD8875

New fuel filter, good full fuel flow through water separator, still got a miss under load. Miss is noticeable on cold start and immediate full throttle as well. Anybody ever use any of the fuel injector cleaners... Not really looking forward to pulling the injectors on this machine. Even expensive injector cleaner is 10% of the cost of one injector, let alone the labor and down time.

Thanks guys
John

heymccall

Before tearing down anything, can you verify that the high idle rpms are correct? 2300, iirc, for a 4tnv98. I only ask because the governor bandit used to work here. All in all, one idiot got 2 TL150s, a TB53FR, two Finn strawblowers, an IR175 compressor, and a 4" Godwin driprime pump (had that baby up to 3900 rpms).

I'm not saying that your injector theory is wrong, but, I've got 9k hr 4tnv98 engines out here, on original injectors and pumps.

As for difficulty in removal, pretty sure your going to find it only sounds difficult. The 4tnv106 injectors in a TL150 are about the same.