• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Titan thumb choices

What setup should I start with?

• Just Keep it simple and go manual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get the hydraulic model and figure out the hydraulics

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get the hydraulic model and see if Titan will sell me the fixed strut also

• Get the hydraulic model and make a fixed strut

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black_Cirrus

Nor familiar with sweetgums, but I have a hillside in Idaho and a few huge Doug fir stumps I've pulled and usually have only 90-180 degrees around tree to work from. To hard to pull from the uphill side...

The weather doesn't look promising for outside work tomorrow. Probably not going to weld in the rain. But maybe I can look at and decide on bracket placement.

Black_Cirrus

Sweet! Thanks! Good ones, I even have some of those small boulders with the holes in them!

If your referring to the cinder blocks they are just leaning against the rocks, I'm to lazy to find another spot for them. I have piles of rock to build with, and a couple half built walls to work on this year.

Black_Cirrus

I got the thumb kit up to the backhoe on Saturday. My friend doing the welding is a few weeks out. First opinion is I had higher hopes for the pin quality. And nothing is 5/8" steel but the 1/2" looks plenty strong. I want to get the hitch clips and some hydraulic fittings figured out before we weld.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Which length did you get?

My 36" was 5/8" on certain parts. Some pieces were thicker.

Tinkerer

Where did you buy the thumb ?
I had a Titan made with 1/2" and it and the pins bent as if they were rubber.
I replaced it with their extreme duty model. Much better thumb. Made with 5/8 inch steel.
The pins that came with it did bend somewhat. I replaced them with 1" grade 8 bolts.

Black_Cirrus

Got the 36" straight from palletforks.com
https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...n-weld-on-hydraulic-backhoe-thumb/122986.html

Specs read the same for both the 36" models, if I remember correctly. The pins are 1 1/4", and I'm inclined to replace them with bolts, but wife saw the price on 1 1/4 bolts and said I need to use it before I spend over $100 for 3 bolts, washers, & nuts ( I haven't got to the farm supply store yet and hope they are better pricing if they go that big, most places stop at 1")

I can see the play in the parts allowing stuff to bend, I'd like to do similar to what Tinker did, but times, skills, and money may make it tough.