• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tires Cat 623

tireman

Nige, as usual, hit the nail square on the head. Michelin hands down the best tire made. You get what you pay for, period.. If you want to run bias ply tires, which is what the size numbers you've listed indicate - go Firestone or General. If you are gonna get rid of it soon, put anything cheap you can find on it, but if you're planning to keep and use it, stay away from anything else.

Gavin84w

100% Michelin the "Caterpillar" of tyres, funny thing with 623,s and it started with 621,s & J621,s my dad who was in earthmoving tyres all his life always said with those machines you put the brand new tyres on the trailer as you dont want to be going in to that stupid axle set up to often changing those due to the extra headaches to remove the wheel/tyre before you even start changing them. A close 2nd for the worst tyre to do on gear we had in our area was these really old Euclid belly dumps with a 27.00 x 33 and they ran a tube with a rust band, what a pain to manhandle all that.

tireman

No doubt, in the saddle set ups are a pain in the a$$, as well as any tube type 5 piece wheel set up. Although, I'd rather deal with an in the saddle set up than have to jack the front of a scraper that's down on the ground.

Aussie623

Thanks Guy's for your comments, presently the 623 is running General but this brand of tyre is rare in Australia.

Karl Robbers

Admittedly, not a scraper and working on a very different surface, but the mine where I work will not use anything but Bridgestone tyres on our Cat ad55 trucks. We trialled Michelin, but they were terrible with most suffering blowouts at as little as 300 hours. The Bridgestones stay on the truck until they wear out and I cannot remember the last blowout we've had. These trucks were running on underground haul roads that were maintained constantly by graders. Tyre pressures were maintained and monitored by the fitters to manufacturers specs.

Gavin84w

Admittedly, not a scraper and working on a very different surface, but the mine where I work will not use anything but Bridgestone tyres on our Cat ad55 trucks. We trialled Michelin, but they were terrible with most suffering blowouts at as little as 300 hours. The Bridgestones stay on the truck until they wear out and I cannot remember the last blowout we've had. These trucks were running on underground haul roads that were maintained constantly by graders. Tyre pressures were maintained and monitored by the fitters to manufacturers specs.

I suspect there is more to that story why Michelins failed.

JDOFMEMI

I too would like to find out more about this. It seems odd to me, as all the Michelins I have ran got good service. The only downside is they seem to crack and cut worse on the sidewalls, but they run like that for a looong time.

Karl Robbers

I agree that there must be another factor in these failures. I went and looked at the 2 Atlas Copco MT6020 trucks that we also run and they are fitted with Michelins and have had no problems. I am wondering if perhaps we got a bad batch earlier, although I would imagine that quality control and inspections would be pretty rigorous at either the Bridgestone of Michelin factories.
Sure would like to know because changing tyres on a loaded truck underground was not fun at all.

tireman

Well, the first thing to look at would be are they the same tire,i.e. model(XKA,XLD,XK,XTXL,XTSM,XMINE) tread depth(D1,D2,E3,E4),etc. I would be very surprised if they were. Then I would look at are the pieces of equipment similar and doing the same job in the same conditions. My money is the answer lies in one of these two places.

Karl Robbers

The machines are similar, both being 55-60 Ton artic trucks running on underground declines, both similar power and speed limited to 25 KM/H.
I cannot recall what the tire designation was on the Michelins fitted to the Cats was, but I will try to get a model from the Atlas Copco trucks when I can.

tireman

If they are loaded anywhere near the same payload, running that slow, I'll guarantee you they were totally different tires. No doubt in my mind. And it's never any fun to jack a machine that's sitting on it's wheel, underground or above. I can relate.

Stump Knocker

Occupation
Retired
I totally agree with "TIREMAN"!!
Well, the first thing to look at would be are they the same tire,i.e. model(XKA,XLD,XK,XTXL,XTSM,XMINE) tread depth(D1,D2,E3,E4),etc.

Company replaced the right bowl tire on my 623 with mis-matched lugs.
Left side cut about inch and a half deeper than the right.