• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tips on CDL test

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Tips on CDL test:

only 3 shots of beam per hundred lbs. of body weight within 2 hrs of driven part of test
Is that really true... only 3 shots/cwt???

That wouldn't be enough to remove a persons test anxiety.

How 'bout Wild Turkey, it goes all the way to 108.2 proof, that would be a little more relaxifying... help remove some of that terrible stress associated with shifting too... :D

OCR... lol

Just kidding... driving drunk is a... :nono

Duke

Guys I think it all comes down to the guy in the driver's seat and the guy in the passenger seat. If the guy in the passenger seat doesn't like you, you have troubles.

Give them their power trip, call them "sir", don't dress like a pig, don't smoke, chew, etc. and don't try to suck-up to them, either. Be business-like and do the best you can.

My single best tip would be to keep both hands on the wheel unless you're shifting or signaling.

heavylift

I read the book once... got a 90. 95. 85 .90 on the 4 parts
here the ask about the vehicle inside and out.. like name that part .... that was my 85
the last 90 was driving... stopped over white line at red light.. second was when she asked me the bridge height... but I wasn't watching the bridge . I was watching the car crashing into the guard rail... opposite us...

mustbecrazy

DMV tricks

How did they set up that crash into the guard rail opposite of you? How did they know that you would be at that exact spot at that exact time? Boy, the effort that they must have gone thru to try to keep you off the road.
All in good jest, Gene.

broman78

keep your head moving checking your mirrors and get there early before the lovely women of your DMV have a chance to get mad.

CatManDoes

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
hi!

the post was nice and informative!
I don't remember the CDL pre trip being very hard. I am in Minnesota and took my class A in 2003 I think. Seems to me that was about the easiest part of the whole test. Just get familiar with the truck you are going to take the test in so you know where everything is, and study that manual.

Shifting the truck is where I thought I was gonna get failed. I live in a river town with hills everywhere. There was one particular hill on a busy road that I remeber hitting maybe 3 gears and then missed one and rolled for what seemed like forever as I struggled to find a gear it would go into. :beatsme

The other thing I didn't do so hot on was the "alley dock" or 90 degree corner in reverse. I took the test with a 28' pup trailer and just never really got the hang of backing that thing. I find a 48 or 53 is so much easier to back up.

Not trying to brag, but I went from never having drove a semi in my life to having my class A in 2 weeks. I did however study the manual for who knows how long. Alo longer then 2 weeks. 6 months maybe. I had that thing memorized.

Guess what I am saying is its not all that hard. If you know how to shift a manual truck transmission already, or if your gonna drive an auto, your miles ahead already. After that you need to get used to the goofy wide turns you will have to make with a trailer, backing up and all the common sense and safety stuff that goes with driving a big truck. Always being aware of low wires and branches, increasing the distance between the cars infront of you, watching for cars sqeezing up along side you when your waiting to turn right, ect. most of that stuff is touched on in the manual.

What kind of truck will you be driving? Do you need any of the endorsements? The Haz-Mat one is a pain in the ass to get. Pretty long written test and section of the manual you have to study and an expansive background check is required now.

Best of luck to you on the test! I am a bit jealous, I hung up the keys to take a non trucking job 3 years ago. Somedays a really miss the feeling of driving a truck. :( Andy then somedays I don't... :rolleyes:

-Andy