• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tips on bucket pin/bushing replacement

Teemo

Changing bucket pin and bushings on my excavator for first time any good tips on bushing removal and replacement.This is the main pin in the bottom of stick for the bucket.

Tim

bobin35

Weld up the inside of the bushing,get it good and hot (after ya clean out the grease of course)dont burn through the bushing either then let it cool down you can then drive them out,weld the entire gushing all the way around and in as far as you can.This shrinks the bushing,the when it cools press the new ones in with a cylinder or get some dry ice too cool the bushings.

Lee-online

Clean out the old grease then head 3 strips of the bushing front to back and then let cool. The bushing will then shrink and it can be driven out with a hammer and a drift. You can also weld some stringers to the bushing to get some heat into it.

installing the bushing usually requires a press, pulling rods and plates. Freezing the bushing helps get it started. You can also soak the bushing in liquid nitrogen for 20 minutes and then put it in by hand or with the help of a hammer.
i bet you could rig up a bottle jack to press in the bushings if its all you have.

Teemo

Machine is a doosan 225,aout 24 tons
I have access to a press to put in the new bushings,from what guys around here are telling me,the old bushings need to be cut out with a torch carefully.Those are some good ideas though.
Thanks,
Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Of course, I do like others and clean as much of the grease out as possible, just makes the job a little less messy. :yup

If it's a brass type bushing, another method for removal that I have used is a sharp, oval shape, carbide burr in a die grinder. Simply move the burr across the bottom of the bushing and grind a groove in it. A good sharp burr will cut a trench in it fairly quickly. When the groove gets near the steel bushing boss, you can visually see the steel appear because of a color change. Continue cutting the groove, skirting just above steel bushing boss. Once the bushing is split by groove, it allows the bushing to relax, and you can simply tap it out from the backside with a small ball peen and drift punch. ;)

Teemo

Yeah,theres alot of grease in there,ill be sure to get that as clean as i possibly can.
The bushings have no brass in them,ive called up a buddy of mine that works for a local dealer and hes done plenty of these to give me a hand,thats going to be big since hes bringing his own tools.Should go smoothly.
Tim

dayexco

we just slice the old bushing with a torch, tap them out with punch and small hammer....run a brake home lightly thru the old bushing bore, put bushings in deep freeze night before, put film of STP on bore, and bushing.....tap them in with a lead or brass hammer...do it all the time, works slick.

Teemo

Thanks for all the tips,its all been helpful
Much appreciated.
I'll take pics of the process and let ya know how i make out.
Tim

tex7550

I like to use an arc gouger to split the bushings, very fast. Lightly polish with flapper wheel on a die grinder then press in the new bushings.

Teemo

yeah,i agre about the torching
i hired someone with experience to do the job
ill let him do all the torching since hes done it quite a few times before.
he works for cat so i wont worry about it
nice to have buds that work in the field

ditchdiggerjcf

yep, having to weld up and line bore the end of your stick because you got carried away with the torch would not be cheap.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
I'm a bit late by the looks of things but here's my 2c. I Clean area thouroughly. Don't bother with a gouging tip, waste of time, use a standard cutting tip. Heat a straight line through the axis of the bush along which you want to cut until it is glowing. Move the tip to the outer edge of the bush where you will start to cut. Continue heating until it is literally about to melt and fully depress the oxy trigger and if you've done it right it will blow it straight through but not to the parent metal. Move the tip further away to reduce the heat and aim it down towards the last layer of bush material. Repeat for the second cut then hit the bush out. Fin.