• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tips from Foremen and Managers?

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Tomorrow I will try to say something to the effect of " since no one is volunteering to take on some responsibilities, here is how they will be assigned".
P.S. I hope I haven't mislead anyone into thinking I lead a huge team, There are only two guys I need to manage, one younger and one much older. I'm starting to think 3 is the perfect number to always have two against one. For a while it was me and another decent worker against one slacker, now it is reversed.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
The thought of it kept stressing me out over the weekend, by Monday morning I knew I would not be able to calmly and nicely explain to them what had to happen, so I just retreated and immersed myself in a job. Later my supervisor asked what was up, I said they were getting to me. So he says " don't let it get to you", then proceeds to list several situations where he had noticed poor work and slacking coming from them. I guess keeping the peace, is more important than quality work. One thing that really disappoints me is the younger guy, He has never worked in a shop, but he just finished school. I thought, I could show him reliable troubleshooting paths, and good repair techniques. But he is more dedicated to being buddies with the older guy, so he's just learning bad habits. I've seen enough to realize he doesn't have much work ethic anyway. I'm just glad I've worked in enough places to know this isn't normal. I know I'm not a Super Tech above everyone else out there. Hell, when I worked at a CASE dealer, I was the one trying to catch up, and learning something everyday from the guys around me. I just wonder if this place is so slack because it is family owned. There is a corporation in town with the exact same trucks, but they did huge layoffs, Can't a place be somewhere in the middle?

Red Bank

Well, I work for a family-owned business, we have 35 employees- I am the only mechanic/fleet manager. The thing I have noticed is the two boss's do not condone or tolerate anyone slacking off, it is their money and they want the most for their money, meaning if you don't give 100%, you are gone. Funny it is not like that there with your company. The good news is your supervisor realizes what you are up against. And I think finding someone right out of school with a good work ethic is rare. One option is just let it all go-quit worrying about it, if your supervisor jumps about their performance-fire them. And life is too short to worrying about this kind of crap on the weekends. Another option is to go after the older guy, get him off to the side, explain to him you need his help with the kid. If the older guy does not have the right attitude to be able to talk to him and get results then relax, go on, and when it gets tough, fire them. This is all tough talk and I realize that you may be in a situation where this should be the last straw, in terms of giving up and firing them, but "what we have here is, a failure to communicate.....some men, you just can't reach" Hang in there Mufflerbearing, you are bringing back a lot of memories of the trucking company I worked at and making me glad to be where I am now:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
but "what we have here is, a failure to communicate...

Pretty good advice Red Bank, and you did it with one of my favorite movies; Cool Hand Luke! Maybe Muffler Bearing should just use "the Captain's" line and take it from there. :D

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Nice, I'll have to watch that again to catch the "captain". The owner of the company only makes brief visits to the shop. My supervisor could relay any info he wants up the chain. The older guy is my biggest problem, yesterday when I was off he went after a truck that kept making too much air. After replacing, governor, dessicant, unloader valve, relief valves and spending all day on it, he gave up, this morning as he was discussing changing a compressor or an airtank?! I took over, found the bad check valve and got it working. Then later he had a comeback on a little pick up he just turned loose.... now, he has comebacks all the time, but for some reason the super got really upset about this one. My super told me, "we are going to have a shop meeting" I thought "great" but then he disappeared for the day. So I am really curious to see if anything happens tomorrow.

This is such a sad, pathetic little soap opera, makes me want to cut the heads off parking meters!

Red Bank

This is such a sad, pathetic little soap opera, makes me want to cut the heads off parking meters!

Yes, but then you will have to eat all of those eggs:drinkup. Maybe the supervisor needs to cool down before the meeting? The trucking company used to do the same thing, wait a couple of days then have a meeting about a problem, after everyone has calmed down and diffused. At least the older guy is digging his own grave.

Eqman

Equipment manager

I always tell my guys to treat the equipment or vehicle like they own it. I seem to get good results with this. Especially with the younger guys coming out of school. I also tell them that lives are in their hands, so make sure you do in depth inspections. The advice about matching the man to the job is priceless. Anyway hope all is going better.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Muffler Bearing well how is it going now ?was the meeting ever held??

dozerdave

Hi Muffler Bearing,

Going home at night with a lump in your stomach is not acceptable. I would quit a job if I was not able to terminate a trouble maker and believe me any hand that gives a supervisor a hard time, be it shabby work, hands that won't follow instructions, horse play, unsafe practices, equipment abuse, a wise guy type or hard to control needs to be terminated. Green hands need all the help you and the old hands can give them. On 1 project it was reported to the union that I was hard to work for and had terminated to many skinners. The BA came to the project to talk about the complaint, I said really. If you quit sending me drunks and drug addicts and people that showup on time I will quit running your people off. I also said to the BA, [business agent] that I have a cat skinner with 1 eye and a blade operator with 1 arm, go ask them if I am hard to work for. Also remember that the more hands you have working for you the easier your job will be because you have more talent to choose from and you can put the problem child where he belongs. Working for a family owned business can also be tuff because how do you tell dad his kid is an idiot. Yes I quit that job.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Hey Guys, Kind of you to ask how things are. Well, for starters I read a book called "Stop Pissing Me Off" (What to do when your Co workers drive you crazy), it was very enlightening and made me realize I had more problems above me than below me. I approached to super and said some discipline actions needed to happen, I said the employee hand book starts with write ups so I want to do a write up. I made him a very specific simple write up and said that wouldn't work, so I said fine talk to the HR lady and get me a form or find out how to do it. .....nothing... then He said he was going to handle it in a shop meeting. I said " The important thing is to keep it specific, not vague" I explained how you can't just tell someone to work harder or get a better attitude because that is too vague, I said a specific example is everyone should ask how to use shop equipment if they are unsure how it works ( based on an incident) or people need to call Cat or Cummins when they are unsure of specs or procedures ( incident) I said keep it simple and focused.. So He made a big huff and went on a 30 min. ramble that went all over the place and ended by saying if you are unsure which parts to order, have tim do it, ....thanks if they are too dumb to order parts make me do it for them.

So With no support from above I have sort of lost heart for this job, I continue to do my work and I give the younger guy stuff that will help him learn, but I'm content to just let the older guy occupy himself however he wants, I just keep him away from critical work.
And since we are only moving about 20 yards of concrete this week, I have a feeling big changes are on the way for everyone. I guess that's why my toolbox has wheels. And I'd like to thank all of you guys again for the support and tips.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
So With no support from above I have sort of lost heart for this job, I continue to do my work and I give the younger guy stuff that will help him learn, but I'm content to just let the older guy occupy himself however he wants, I just keep him away from critical work.
And since we are only moving about 20 yards of concrete this week, I have a feeling big changes are on the way for everyone. I guess that's why my toolbox has wheels. And I'd like to thank all of you guys again for the support and tips.

Don't get too bummed out about it bro. When it's all said and done and we're laying 6 ft under...the crap we put up with at work becomes a little irrelavent. You have a wife and a newborn, work is just your means to provide for them. The only thing that matters is you do your best, you can't worry about the attitudes of persons around you. I know this sounds crazy since your the shop forman and your kinda resposible for the other guys. But, they're your co-workers...not your kids.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Well if what you think is going to happen,well don't stress out over it, you haven't contributed to this situation,have you considered that you may be kept?? and the rest let off:worst case scenario you move your toolbox but look at how much you have matured and the experience acquired so, "pip pip old friend chin up and keep a stiff upper lip "and always remember no matter how low you feel there is at least one step lower, the final one is a dussey all of 6' with 2 yds of back fill.

Speaking of books see if you can get "Who moved my cheese" and read it and of course the guru book "The seven habits of highly effective people" and let us know what you think of them.

Also remember in the words of a wiser one than I

A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

Last edited:

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
I swear this forum is the coolest thing I've found on the net, as ironic as it may sound I consider you guys my link to reality. I'm definately not leaving this crew.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
and always remember no matter how low you feel there is at least one step lower, the final one is a dussey all of 6' with 2 yds of back fill.

True words, my friend...true words. :yup

Everyday you wake up still breathing oxygen is a good day. ;)