• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Timing Belt

mbavers

One rule of thumb-Heat and how many cycles has it been through. Because you live in a cooler
climate not AZ belts have a tendency to wear better. But that doesn't mean that it hasn't started
cracks at each cog. And for reference the Fiat 128 of years ago timing belts were to be changed
every 17,000 miles and it was accurate, 19K and there went the intake valves. Just change it.
For what the vehicle is worth running-try and replace it at todays unrealistic used vehicle values.
Everyone thinks their used SUV with a 130,000 plus is worth gold, it's shot that's why they want
to get rid of it. It's a worn out piece of crap, used pickups 10 years old with 160,000 at 20K go
pi$$ up a rope. The trans is shot, engine shot, brakes shot, suspension shot, catalytic system shot
yeah go price a catalytic converter, average life of those about 100K before start to fully plug.
You only have 60K on it, drive it till it drops or you can't get parts. Remember it isn't your job
to keep autoworkers busy.
Amen on the used vehicles being offered-and you didn't mention worn out bearings and leaking seals. I'll being changing the belt; it's just a matter of when.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Audi's ever strong 1.9tdi pd engine had a recommended change of 4 years 60k miles or 5 years 80k miles depending on which dealership you spoke to. i bought a very rough bodywork A4 with a little under 110k miles on it was assured the belt had been done at 80k. yeah that belt last until about 112k and stripped 4or 5 teeth off, i was so lucky, nothing impacted anything and it just lost a load of power.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
At 10 years, despite the low kms, it's the age that matters. And Kevlar and synthetic belt materials don't last a huge amount longer than natural rubber products.

They all crack and perish, and the teeth peel out of the average belt - IF they don't have the cords woven to follow the tooth contour.

Many belts today simply have the tooth profile cut out of a layer of synthetic rubber, and the cords only run in a straight line, following exactly the outer layers of the belt. Good timing belts have the cords following the tooth profile.
I have found Gates (and surprisingly, Mitsubishi) belts are the longest-lasting belts.

The annoying part of many timing belt designs is the ones where the belts are buried in the front of the engine, and which require a lot of dismantling to get at - and the ones that drive multiple ancillaries, not just the camshaft.

Just think - you're getting off lightly - you could have one of those dreadful European machines such as a sh***y Audi with a V-type engine, where the timing chains are located at the rear - and they need to be replaced every 100K kms, as well - and you need to pull the engine out to replace them!!

chidog

The interesting thing is, many auto makers ditched the timing belt in favor of a timing chain, because of the bad press about needed to service them.
All one needs to do is search the stories about timing chains, there are many of them that are very lucky to last 100k miles. The job to deal with a timing chain as well as parts costs is many times more than the old timing belts. What has fueled the problem is the influx of over head cam.
I've seen some auto engines with a mass of many timing chains using an in the oil (wet) belt for the oil pump, yeah good idea.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Timing belts are only scary when:

1) You let them go for 10 years,
2) You replace them with cheap junk,
3) You don't replace the idlers/tensioner/water pump with the belt.

Last edited:

Old Doug

Thanks everyone for input. Some scary stuff here.
The best thing a person can do is take care of what you have and try not to think about it. I bought a wrecked 2006 Jeep liberty that had alot of money spent on its transmission . I have been driving it about a year and it takes longer than i like to go into gear then some times it down shifts hard . I would like it to last till the end of this year then i will junk it . I dont have much into it so what ever happens it will be ok.