• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tilt bed experiences

Rustedcutlery

Iv been looking for a good quality bumper hitch tilt bed. Something to haul the 259d and attachments around on, but also I want to haul cars and pickups too. From my experience it seams equipment tilt beds have a shorter deck, and can be a pain for loading a full size pickup.

Iv pulled a felling a lot when I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic, love the trailer, wish it had only 1 latch, but still a nice trailer, spends though.

Been thinking about Kauffman, pj, and big tex. I like the 8ft of stationary deck on a Kauffman, but the tilt seams a little short, I'm sure a guy could order a longer one.

So what's everyone's preference when it comes to the subject?

JDOFMEMI

I have had good luck with the Econoline tilt I have had for about 15 years. I have a 7 ton tilt, bumper pull, and it seems well built. One latch too. You can get them with an extended deck so the load angle is less, and also a fixed front deck. Mine has neither, and is somewhat of a pain to get a truck onto, but I have hauled many with it, and with a 259 you will never hurt it. I used to haul a D-4C with mine, but would not recommend that.

PJ looks like a good trailer, and a friend is thinking of getting one, but I have no direct experience with them.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If you by any of trailer ask to pull it first to check to be sure that it does not dog track before putting your money out. It is surprising how many new trailers do not pull straight and pull harder because of it. No quality control? Also on many the steel is not even primed or painted under the trailer(PJ is one) all ready to rust. Just a couple of things to check before buying any trailer so you know what you are getting.

Reedo

We have a 26' PJ deck over tilt and it has been great. After 5 years it has not given us any trouble. The spring loaded jack can be a pain but it is great for hauling our tractor and skid loader along with attachments.

ericscher

I just bought a 22' tilt-deck PJ.

Although I did not buy it intending to haul cars, I did find it handy to use to drop my Honda Pilot SUV at the dealership when I didn't have anyone around to give me a ride.

I did find it a bit challenging to tie the darn thing down because it doesn't have any exposed tow hooks, but other than that it worked quite well. I ran the bed up, drove up onto it and then hit the wireless remote to set the bed back down. I've also transported a TLB and an excavator on it... no problems.

Dualie

I understand the no tie downs on modern vehicles, i had to basket the wheels with ratchet straps on the better half's Mercedes when it needed service.

tbaero153

ericsher, I also tow my personal vehicles often on my equipment trailer. I bought a pair of j hook chains from AWDIRECT.com for under 100 delivered. Comes with t hooks and other common hooks on one end and a j hook on the other to put around the axle. Makes securing any vehicles car or truck a breeze. Hope this helps

ericscher

I bought a pair of j hook chains from AWDIRECT.com f... Comes with t hooks and other common hooks on one end and a j hook on the other to put around the axle. Makes securing any vehicles car or truck a breeze. Hope this helps

It does, thank you.

clarkat

We purchased a Landoll 20 ft tilt a few years ago....wiring ,construction and powder coat to the same standards as big trailers;it was a bit more money but we have never had to fix anything.

Dualie

Be VERY careful with the hooks like that, I witnessed a several late model vehicles need massive repairs after transport drivers used to much English on the tie down bars while using T and R hooks. mid 80's cadillacs were very common to have to come off the transporter and go right on the frame rack. also securing the the independent suspension A'rms and trailing arms on new vehicles is a sure fire way to ruin the alignment. and possible bend parts.

safest way without consulting the massive tow securement bible is to secure the wheels by basketing them. They sell basket tie downs that are cheep and effective securement. Id be afraid of using chains ANYWHERE on your pilot.

JDOFMEMI

Good advice there Dualie.

I second that. It is tough to find anything but the wheels to tie on many newer vehicles.

tbaero153

All vehicles produced after 1997 have oblong holes in the frames left, right front and back for the sole purpose of installing the t hook end of the chain for tie down.
It does not touch any other parts of the vehicle. Only know because I have towed thousands of different cars and trucks over the years working for a large wrecker service.
The j hook end is for going around the axles on a vehicle such as a pick up or earlier model car. Hope this helps

Jim Dandy

I have a felling tilt deck. I like it but I have bent an axle and had to reweld the the tilt cylinder to the frame. The bent axle is not the trailer's fault but I still maybe wish the trailer was a little more robust. I probably should have a bought a 7 ton instead of a 6 ton as I am frequently hauling at the trailer's limit. Keep in mind if you are wanting to load a tilt deck in the snow it will be a pain. The night before it snows we cover the deck with a tarp.

Dualie

I have a 14K Walton 16' tilt, Its been a fantastic trailer, i don't think i have ever had a better pulling tag trailer. BUT i live in Sunny California, and i don't think the square tube construction would fair well in any climate that gets a fair amount of snow or freezing rain.

The trailer has close to 50,000 miles on it over the last 12 years. Other than one full set of GOOD tires, 2 sets of brakes w/bearing repacks and finally one re decking this winter its been flawless. Heck i think i only replaced two lights on the thing.