• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tile plow dual wall trench box

ironhorse82

Is anyone familiar with the what I would describe as a "drag trench box" mounted to the back of the tile plow shank used to install dual wall tile sticks for farm drainage mains (mouthful I know!)? I cannot seem to come up with anything via google search. Who manufactures them? Thanks.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Ive never seen anything like that, but i know what you mean.

It would be at least 20' long i guess? Going around a curve is out of the question. Plus, how are you going to make the connection down at grade, when the box is at least 4' deep, and a max of 12" wide?

Maybe i don't understand what you mean?

SE-Ia Cowman

I know were there is one for sale in MN fits a hydramax 2600 made for up to 15'' dual wall

Randy88

Never heard of that done before on a plow, theres a guy in MN that installs cement tile with a plow and made his own boot to do it with, can't recall his name though right off hand but never 20 ft sticks of dual wall ridgid, if you come up with it let us know and post some pictures, as they say if there's a wiill theres someone going to find a way.

Randy88

Thats single wall pipe they are putting in by the looks of it, dual wall is ridgid and would never make the bend on the bottom of the boot to lay flat, those are larger size pipe that don't come in maxi's rolls, only 20 ft sticks and hooked up individually. Single wall pipe is flexible and can bend to make the corner at the bottom, dual wall is more like pvc pipe and can't be bent much if at all, to install it you'd have to have a box more than 20 ft long and you'd have to hook them together while it laid flat on the bottom of the box or at a slight angle and be fed in but that would require a box even longer behind the knife. With a trencher we hook a half dozen together and toss it into to trench as we go and then back fill it later.

TileGuy

Thats single wall pipe they are putting in by the looks of it, dual wall is ridgid and would never make the bend on the bottom of the boot to lay flat, those are larger size pipe that don't come in maxi's rolls, only 20 ft sticks and hooked up individually. Single wall pipe is flexible and can bend to make the corner at the bottom, dual wall is more like pvc pipe and can't be bent much if at all, to install it you'd have to have a box more than 20 ft long and you'd have to hook them together while it laid flat on the bottom of the box or at a slight angle and be fed in but that would require a box even longer behind the knife. With a trencher we hook a half dozen together and toss it into to trench as we go and then back fill it later.

No, that's dual wall. That boot will put in up to 15" dual wall pipe. It's made for 10' sticks. This is the company that made the boot in the picture:
http://backmanwelding.com/

They also made a boot that'll handle 18" dual wall, and they made a boot for plowing in underground water and manure pipe in 20' lengths.
It works pretty good, but you have to have the dozer hooked on the front at all times. It'll plow 5.5'-6' deep. It'll make gradual turns, but that's it. It's a lot faster than digging it in with an excavator and it does a perfect job of laying it on grade. A guy rides down in the front of the boot and stabs the pipe while the two guys on top hand the sticks to him.

Randy88

So the boot must be about 15 plus feet long with the platform for the guy extra and the operator must either go really slow or stop to allow for connections? That gives new meaning to the term of a small enclosed place to be, down in the boot. That's a new one on me, I've never seen anything like that before, is that a wolf plow in the picture? Thanks for correcting me, we've only ever put 20 footers of rigid in never knew they even made 10 footers before, I've asked about 30 or even 40 footers so I had less connections but nobody would make them for me but again I trench and then hook them up and toss them into the trench and then blind and backfill after.

Is that the same place that makes a boot to lay cement tile behind a plow? I heard about that from a salesman last fall that had seen the demonstration of laying cement tile behind a plow at one of the shows, the only upside to that last fall was they probably had something to put in the ground while everyone else was scrambling to find plastic tile to put in.

Just out of curiosity what do they put dual walled in for manure for? there's not usually that much distance to manure storage and most of that is dug in with an excavator? They aren't pumping it to the fields in dual walled are they? and if so how do they clean the lines out after they are done so it doesn't set up and plug the line for later?

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
That's a first for me too, great pics. Who knew it could be done???

Gotta love that black dirt too. Never seen that before. Its beautiful stuff.

hvy 1ton

Just out of curiosity what do they put dual walled in for manure for? there's not usually that much distance to manure storage and most of that is dug in with an excavator? They aren't pumping it to the fields in dual walled are they? and if so how do they clean the lines out after they are done so it doesn't set up and plug the line for later?

Never heard of using double wall tile, but i know KSU is doing work with subsoil drip irrigation for manure. They had to have valves on the end to flush them once a week or something close to it. On a mildly unrelated note, dirt digger has some pics on here of a wastewater plant that irrigates hay fields. I'm waiting for the county to build one here.:D

lemmer28

Yes we do manufacture dual wall boots@ Backman Welding and Robotics . Call Wayne 320-287-1790 for pricing

I had one of our customers tell me they plowed in 2500' in 1 hour and twenty minutes with one of our dual wall 18" boots and they are very happy with it.

westerveld

and if so how do they clean the lines out after they are done so it doesn't set up and plug the line for later?

They clean out the pipes by sending a sponge ball(or dodge ball) down it and blowing it through with air pressure, that s what the manure guys do around here, keeps from freezing overnight

westerveld

I've seen this online before, would work great for concrete pipe, I don't know how you would make the connections with plastic pipe. Some times when we need to pull a big main through a hill we cut it down with the excavator, so you actually only plowing 2 ft deep

lemmer28

This is for dual wall plastic drain tile ,we have a pusher system we have installed on some of our recent models that is working very good , and our customers have been plowing up to 6 foot deep with the proper heave plate.The customer that i spoke about that did the 2500 ft of 18" dual wall did not have the pusher in his model . We also make boots for pvc pipe also.

TileGuy

I bought an 18" dual wall boot with a pusher on it last year, and added a pipe rack that we keep full with a skid steer. The pipe layer sits on a seat at the back of the boot and runs the controls. These boots are wide enough for someone to stand in, and there is room to put split couplers on if needed. The whole boot is about 16 feet long from end to end. We've run it in some pretty heavy soil and it pulls easier than you'd think. You can usually run up to about 5' of depth before the spoil gets to be too much and you can't pull anymore. Like lemmer said, you can get a lot of pipe in if the conditions are right. I usually average about 1000' per hour, but as always it depends on conditions.

Attachments

• 1275056_237506359736515_1205658217_o.jpg
    1275056_237506359736515_1205658217_o.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 1425797_248990381921446_411353159_n.jpg
    1425797_248990381921446_411353159_n.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 733