• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tightening tracks on a D5M

Rickyb1968

The track on the right side of dozer chatters alot when moving. All the plates are tight. The measurements are as follows. Right side between sprocket and carrier roller is 17/8”, carrier roller to front idler is 23/8”
Left side same order of measurement is 2” and 25/8”.

The left is right on the verge of being loose but the right one is jumping more. Should I tighten these up and to what?
Thanks Ricky

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Post a photo taken from the LH side of the tractor and one from the RH side that show the complete tracks from sprocket to idler.

You need to measure the exposed length of chrome on the track tensioner cylinder that’s behind the idler.

Doesn’t the operator Manual include the track tension specifications.?

Rickyb1968

Here you go Nige. The chrome is at 27/8” showing.

Attachments

• IMG_3440.jpeg
    IMG_3440.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3439.jpeg
    IMG_3439.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38

56wrench

If you didn’t already know, when measuring and adjusting tracks, to be the most accurate, you need to drive straight ahead without any turning for about 30 or 40’ to allow the tracks to settle into their operating parameters. Don’t back up. Lock the brake. Then measure

Nige

I think the tracks maybe look too tight, but it may be an illusion of the photo.
If you stretch a piece of string from the track above the sprocket to the idler then measure the distance from it to the top of a grouser bar as shown by the blue arrow, not to the base of the shoe.
The total of measurements 3 & 4 added together should be between 1.8 and 2.2".

Edit: Count how many total track links you have on each side. Should be 44.

1694270346139.png1694270835498.png

Last edited:

Rickyb1968

Thanks guys because i was doing it totally wrong, and i have the manual, but it didnt explain it like Nige. One question 56wrench. I basically let the dozer run push the deceleration pedal all in, lower rpm to an idle then shift to neutral. What do you mean by Lock the brake?

Nige

One question 56wrench. I basically let the dozer run push the deceleration pedal all in, lower rpm to an idle then shift to neutral. What do you mean by Lock the brake?
Here’s how I would do it.
Dozer on level ground, blade lifted about 6”.
Run forward at medium RPM in 1st gear.
Simultaneously flick transmission lever to neutral and hit the decelerator. Let the tractor stop on its own.
Apply park brake. Gently lower blade to ground. Measure track sag.

bigbudsr67

Ricky, attached is the spec on how to tighten your tracks like my D5M. Pickup that guide from cat nice to have. Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0057-1.jpg
    IMG_0057-1.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 14

Nige

Ricky, attached is the spec on how to tighten your tracks like my D5M. Pickup that guide from cat nice to have. Kevin
Excellent suggestion. I went looking in my library and actually found an electronic copy of that same document.

Attachments

• PEGP5027-08 - Undercarriage Management Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Rickyb1968

Sorry guys been dump truck broke down and it became top priority. This morning i was able to measure the tracks. If i convert the measurements Nige posted 1.8= 1 13/16 and 2.2= 2 3/16. My measurements total on the right side 1 11/16 on the left is 2 7/16.

Im a little tight on right and a little loose on left. If i compare the left to right track almost 3/4” difference. I will adjust and see if that helps.

bigbudsr67

Ricky follow the cat specs I sent u should be 1.4 low 1 high 1.8 make sure u move the cat forward and let it coast to a stop without apply brakes I do it twice to make sure Kevin

Nige

Ricky follow the cat specs I sent u should be 1.4 low 1 high 1.8 make sure u move the cat forward and let it coast to a stop without apply brakes I do it twice to make sure Kevin
The Undercarriage Management document is at odds with the Service Manual SEBU6901 for Ricky's particular D5M Serial Number 3DR00216. Refer to the diagram in Post #6.

"If the machine is equipped with a carrier roller, then the total of dimension (3) and dimension (4) should be 2.2 ± 0.40 inch." So that is actually looser than I mentioned earlier, a total slack of somewhere between 1.8 and 2.6 inches (1-13/16" and 2-5/8").

Ricky, according to your measurements the RH side @ 2-7/16" is within the acceptable range. The LH side @ 1-11/16" needs letting off a bit to somewhere around 2-1/4".

Rickyb1968

Ok I definitely understand there is a difference between the two documents. I have read both and both state two totally different ways to measure. Bigbudsr67 states 1.4 which is roughly 1 3/8”.
If i take my measurements and divide by 2 for an average i get Left = 1 3/16”
Right is roughly 3/4” so i would need to loosen both sides especially the right.

Nige explanation which is shown well in post 6 shows the right side needing let off a bit. Both ways show the right side being to tight.

PS:: I forgot to count links in track which i will today. Thanks guys because your both correct in regards to the information you have.

Last edited: