• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tig, stick, and plasma cutter. Opinions?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
The boss wants a plasma cutter to play with, I want a tig for aluminum. Being able to weld steel in the shop would be a plus instead of starting the welder and plugging in the suitcase.

This seams like a reasonably price all in one unit. Good reviews and a 5 year warranty. Opinions or experience with one of these would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-PowerPro-plasma-cutter-Process/dp/B00AD8E3B6

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Just remembered we have 208 single phase, is there anyway to convert to 240 3 phase? Or do I have to get with the power company?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
208 volt is generally 3 phase, if you really need 240 volt, a 32 volt autotransformer will be needed to boost voltage. That said, most things will function fine with the lower voltage, maybe with a lower output.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most of what I've seen in this area is 208 single phase as that is what most of the lighting circuits are that are put in shops. Last I looked at those kinds of unit they usually would automatically switch to run on the lower voltages. I seem to remember duty cycle will be the issue on that type of welder. Most of the three phase machines I've looked at would be at or close to 100% while the single phase units were 60%.

That's a great thing to have an employer looking at providing you with something to work with.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
208 single phase is a odd concept around here, you still have to have 3 transformers so I don't see the point unless there are several businesses close and the power co. is trying to balance the current. Oh well, I have learned something new, can't beat that!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Used to be a lot of 208 single phase around but I have not seen it put it in a job for years. Lighting circuits for the most part have all been 277V on every larger project I have done in the last 20 years.

brianbulldozer

Been a million years since I studied this stuff, but if I recall correctly on a three phase circuit the line to line voltage is the square root of three times the line to neutral voltage. If you wanted three phase power to your house and shop, as an example, the power company would supply you with 208 three phase (line to line) which would give you 208 three phase for the toys in your shop (lathe, mill, welder), 120 single phase line to neutral (wife's tv and hair dryer), and 208 single phase line to line (heat pump and dryer). If you wanted three phase power to an industrial facility, the power company would supply you with 480 three phase (line to line) which gives you 277 single phase line to neutral for your lighting circuits. If you needed 120 single phase for the office, an additional transformer would be required.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know much about the stuff but recall being told that neighborhoods were split out on the phases somehow to balance draw. I looked at another line for my shop and dropped the cost estimate like a hot frying pan full of burning grease. I've seen quite a few shops with phase changers years ago but most of the buildings in the industrial places now are wired all three phase 480. I do remember one shop I worked at where the lighting transformer caught fire when I hooked up a block heater of a D9G overnight. That and Getting slapped by 480 once I've stayed well away from it ever since.