• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tie rod end to steering cyl shaf loose on case 580SK backhoe

Ed Zaber

I have play between tie rod end and steering cylinder shaft with weight off front end. Better than an inch on both left and right arms. Is this adjustable and if so what to do?

mitch504

Nope, but it's not that hard or expensive to replace the ball joints, or it might just be loose 'til the rest of the machine wears out.

Ed Zaber

Nope, but it's not that hard or expensive to replace the ball joints, or it might just be loose 'til the rest of the machine wears out.
The tie rod ends are not loose, but where the Shaft connects to the cylinder, there is about an inch play laterally, that is the
Area would like to know if there is a way to tighten the lateral play. Would like to know before I tear it apart so I can locate parts first if needed.

mitch504

OK, I was assuming 4wd. If it's 4wd, where the tie rod end attaches to the chrome rod is actually a slightly different type of ball joint than where it attaches to the steering knuckle. If that's where your play is, there's nothing to do but replace the tierod end, but they will run a long time.

Ed Zaber

Thank your for your reply. I figured it was a different type of ball joint. I will get parts here first before I tear it down. So im not down for backorder or some other issue. Depending on the price, i may see if Hagan has some used ones in good shape.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I did the whole front end on Case 580 Se probably didn’t cost 100 bucks.