• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Scott S

We are looking at purchasing a 6355 after owning a 255 for years. The machine is bare with no lines sitting in yard here in Oregon. While we are really familiar with the 255 system by appearances the 6355 drum set has us baffled, gears are on both sides of the drums? Is it possible to run any drum independently of the others? We can slack line with our machine, can it be done with the 6355? Can you shotgun with it?

Thanks,

Scott S

furpo

Hi Scott

I cant answer your question about slacklining and shotgunning as i dont know. The extra gear train down the other side of the drum set has two advantages. First is for the counter rotation of the two front drums for open or closing a grapple or letting a drop line of an MSP in or out. With the 255 you have to spool the rope off the out winding drum on the wet brake. The second advantage is that when out hauling the machine is still interlocked which is faster and burns less diesel. This is what is called a two way interlock yarder (i.e. inhaul and outhaul). The 255 is one way interlocked (i.e. inhaul only) so you have to drag the wet brake on outhaul.

Are you going to keep the 255? If so my opinion is that you would be best doing your skyline work with the 255 and getting into grapples with the 6355 as this is where these machines shine.

Roadswitcher

Just adding to Furpo's reply on the question of slacklining and shotguning. Standard ex factory, not capable due to insufficent braking and they are not control plumbed for either of the above. You can operate each drum individually by way of isolation valves. Interesting to note that the early 355's up to around 1995, had an extended 255 drumset of which were set up for shotgun.

Last edited:

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Looks like there was only 4 6355's built, 2 of them being the BC model. One went to NZ, two went to BC. The one you are looking at might be S5162 and I think Huffman and Wright had it before?
I was told it was the last one built, I didn't get the number. It's in the photos above with the 155 at Acme.

Scott

Scott S

Looks like there was only 4 6355's built, 2 of them being the BC model. One went to NZ, two went to BC. The one you are looking at might be S5162 and I think Huffman and Wright had it before?

I think Wayne said it was from Huffman. It really is in pretty good shape the best I can tell but won't suit our purpose if we can't shot gun sometimes with it.

Scott

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Scott, can you check in with Wayne and find out? I don't know him really well.
I think Wayne said it was from Huffman. It really is in pretty good shape the best I can tell but won't suit our purpose if we can't shot gun sometimes with it.

Scott

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech