• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

TorkelH

Tsy-6140 slr

I am out for a TSY-6140 SLR (or 6240). Need to be an SLR, it's basicly written in big letters on the boom. Anybody knows about one for sale?

Last edited:

Rose1

I know there was one in California. But i don`t know whether it was SLR .It was in little town call FT Bragg just about 200 miles up from San francisco. It is tsy -6140

furpo

I think I have found the last remaining Kiwi PSY 200. So the list goes:

10504 - Currently for sale by Gene Phelam. Was Darryl Huttons machine (HT Contractors)
10510 - For sale as a parts machine with 10504
10517 - Currently owned by FOMS, previously Andrew Barnes and then Ross Davis
10530 - Harvest Pro Gisbourne
10532 - Currently NZ Woodlot Harvesters (not sure what is happening as they just went bust), prior to that Tony Bowman, then Gary Hancock.
10570 - Apparently Tuckey Contracting has just brought it. This was in Gisbourne for some time. Previously it was in Nelson with Moutere Logging.

There has been at least one more in the countrey. This was a rubber tyred machine that has wreaked at Rotorua Forest Hulage a couple of years ago. I never got the number.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Howdy Mr JeremyM70, I must have gone completely through this Thunderbird thread for at least the 15th time. I always find something new. Any way, on post #52 you have several pictures of a nice looking T'Bird TSY-6255 SLR.........but what is REALLY interesting to me is the fellerbuncher next to it. I can see two sets of tracks.....on the same side of the machine, I believe it is either a Washington feller buncher (they only built two), or the outfit that bought the rights to build it after Washington Iron Works went broke. Allied built a dozen or so of these feller bunchers according to Mr. Grapple. Did you happen to take pictures of it while you were getting pics of the 6255? I would love to see them if you do. I don't know where they'd go, I suppose in the feller buncher thread.......Mr. Grapple did say he would start a new thread dedicated to this feller buncher.....he must be soo busy....I sure would like to see'em if you have any. Thank you Sir.

I had to load up the pics on my backup hard drive, since I recently wiped and started fresh with my laptop. It was an Allied ATH28 and I will throw a few pics over in the buncher thread. As I remember hearing that machine was donated a year ago or more to the Camp 18 museum on the Oregon Coast and in fact I drove by there yesterday and saw it sitting there. No time to stop and get pics though.

sleddr

A couple of Thunderbird yarders in Salmo BC. The TY40 is used frequently, the other one not so much....

photo-14.jpg

photo-13.jpg

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Murk100, very nice job! are you doing this without a spotter? camera? who builds those grapples? what application does a machine this size fit best? skid length? unit size? do you do it if you can't have a tail machine? is it mostly hand fall? the insurance cost of ground guys in yarding go up again in washington this year to $20/hr, this stuff is going to have to be used more and more, currently the most common yarder uses motorized slack pullers. i will ask more questions later........................theironoracle

loggers son

Occupation
shovel logger operator
Yes CL, this is how it arrived direct from Ross Corp. Perhaps the tower/gantry had been made and painted earlier. A TY 40 came out on the same shipment and that was still in orange but a TTY 6170 that arrived a couple of months later in September 96 was complete burgundy and green, tower tips in all. I don't have any other shots of 6155's down here (indeed, if there are any others) so have been looking through a few pix of 6255's for a colour example and noticed also that of the four that I'm aware of down this way, only one had the raised cab and that was one of the earlier ones. I don't know if is relevant but it was also the only one with single lever control. On reflection, it may have been a customer option.

A couple of pics to compare cabs and view the complete burgundy look - they are both SLR machines.

The first pic #S5214 Dec 1999 (me thinks the haulback is in the wrong sheave at top of tower - it should be in the top swivel fairlead)

Second pic #S5190 Feb 1998 (this is the one with the single lever control) Untill recently anyway, it had only ever shotgun with Maki carriage.

RS

View attachment 72610View attachment 72611

just going back through this thread and came upon this picture.

I was running holmes loggings' other tsy 255 (Sorry no photos) at the time they put a learner on the new 6255.

like most kids he was allergic to grease guns or any maintenance so the top swivel sheave ended up seized and jammed off to the side after swinging...........and he didn't notice until red hot lumps of sheave and haulback started raining in through the open top window and into his lap.......new haulback and sheave required.

some time later he ended up on the 255 ( I had been given a brand new 527tsk to run, once again no photos) and wonderboy pulled the 255 over onto its side by working outside of his guylines....... he doesn't work in forestry any more

furpo

Been for a bike ride to find this machine over christmas. This is 105070. Im a bit stumped on the serial number. I suspect someone has added an 0 to the end of it so it should be 10507. The air tank has a build plate on it with 1978 which would fit with the 10507 serial number.

Anyone know how many of these were built? I would love to get the build records.

Still a bit of work to be done but it is looking much better than when I last sore it.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,334

furpo

Ty45 ba138

In the same forest as the above PSY200. Hope you guys enjoy them as it was a 19km round trip on the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,328

furpo

Na. This one is in Upper Hutt. It is the one that come from your way and sat at Cables Rotorua for a while.

crisco6255

Occupation
hooktender/timbertramp
starting back under a 6255 at wheeler logging Whiteswan WA worked under it before lots of power love it. I set chokers under it

crisco6255

Occupation
hooktender/timbertramp

boardbysled

That one is up near Acme, I've heard there is another one up near Day Lake. Also heard there is a old lowboy truck up near Oso near the Granite Lake potholes.