• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thumb

Tinkerer

I'm glad I found your pictures on Red Power , Willie !
It seems strange that in that set-up there was sagging issue. Any chance the piston seals in the cylinder were leaking ?
I had to cut up a white oak in my backyard yesterday that toppled over in a recent flood. Prolly a 150 year old tree. I wished all day long my fixed thumb was hydraulic. I spent a lot of time re-positioning the hoe to prevent gouging the lawn with the bucket teeth.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm glad I found your pictures on Red Power , Willie !
It seems strange that in that set-up there was sagging issue. Any chance the piston seals in the cylinder were leaking ?
I had to cut up a white oak in my backyard yesterday that toppled over in a recent flood. Prolly a 150 year old tree. I wished all day long my fixed thumb was hydraulic. I spent a lot of time re-positioning the hoe to prevent gouging the lawn with the bucket teeth.
I can't swear. Never thoroughly tested it. The problem manifested itself the day that valve was installed & the cylinder came back from the hydraulic shop. When I asked them about it they gave me a long list of procedures I had to do to prove to them it wasn't the tractor hydraulics. It was really obvious they had no intention of backing their work. The new one doesn't sag, I presume the problem isn't in the tractor hydraulics.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A nationwide trash hauler you probably know began in Rutland 20 miles from me. They have an excavating company, & a hydraulic rebuilder. They felt the extra bypass valve was needed. They provided. At a preset pressure it sends oil from one side of the piston to the other. I believe it does so all the time.

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
20200804_174136.jpg 20200804_174158.jpg
This is what I came up with to add auxiliary hydraulics to my 74' Case 580B. This valve is only one direction but they do offer a 2 way valve. Bought this from my local case dealer (they thought me a bit odd) and was supplied by BIC.

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
Not sure how to answer your question other than yes, it has built in flow control as well as pressure adjustment. Unlike a power beyond the functions down the line remain active as long as you have flow over the auxiliary implement although at a reduced speed. I looked at a lot of options out there and this seemed to be the best one for me. Valve operates from a lever mounted button.
This is what I did to get by until I can afford a newer wheel barrow.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Priceless ! :)
I back filled the entire foundation of my first house with a wheelbarrow. Young, dumb and poor.
I had a 1965 Jeep CJ5 with a snowplow. Dad helped some. I had to replace 1 stud & 1 piece of plywood sheathing.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
New knowledge:
I now own a Case 580K & a John Deere 410C. I gained a hard lesson in John Deere hydraulic plumbing early on after buying this machine.
All hydraulic functions are protected by one or more pressure relief valves. In this John Deere, that is set at 3500 PSIG.
If one lifts a load at or near capacity close to the tractor, then moves it away using the dipper extension or crowd leverage changes. The 3500 PSIG in the boom cylinder grows sharply. The John Deere has "port relief valves" for 8 hoses on the backhoe. If one fails, replacements are NLA from John Deere. I've searched at length, they are not available elsewhere.

Thumbs have a similar issue. If moving the thumb toward the bucket, little risk of overpressure in the thumb circuit. Moving the bucket toward the thumb, the pressure relief valve does nothing. Thumb valve is closed to the port.