• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

thumb teeth length vs bucket?

mike944

Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Hi all!

i need to get a thumb for my Akerman H10B, primarily for picking up trees, but also large rocks too. I don't have very much time in a machine with a thumb.

what's the best length for the thumb teeth? My choices for off-the-shelf weld-on mechanical thumbs are about 8" longer than the tip of the bucket, or about 1" shorter. The shorter one seems better matched, but perhaps they shouldn't be matched?

Thanks,
Mike

Wytruckwrench

I would go with the one that's a little shorter.
For what I do, it works a little better and isn't in the way.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
mine are 4-6" longer than the bucket and fit between the bucket teeth. they are also curved at the end. works great for trees, brush, and building/ concrete demo. The hook on the end is a must have for me.

maddog

be careful going to long, when curling in if the thumb is to long it could hit the boom or if the cylinder is located in front of the boom it could smack that.