• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thread size for the Cat final drive plug part no. 4B-2363?

LCA078

These are the plugs used across most of the older Cats final drives, bevel gears, etc. so I'm posting in the general forum. I need to change the bevel gear oil in a 941B but don't have a have to capture the 16.5 gallons all at once when I pull the plug. I can only get about 5-6 gallons at a time so I was thinking of removing the plug and then quickly screwing a cheap pvc valve or similar into the drain hole so I can fill up buckets at will. I just don't know the thread size without removing a plug so I have no idea what can fit. I can't find the thread specs in SIS or anywhere else but figured it would be common knowledge amongst a few here.

Anyone know the thread size and/or a easy way to throttle the oil when it's draining so I don't have a mess?

obsolete

Thread is 1 1/2-12, it's a straight thread not NPT so not easy to find something simple to thread in. I have used another of the same plug and drilled and tapped it to accept a length of pipe to get oil to drain past the belly pan without going all over the place, spilled a little when switching.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can't find the thread specs in SIS
This may or may not work depending how your SIS account is set up.
Go to the RH top corner of the SIS Main Page. Click on the 6 dots for linked sites. A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "Similar Parts Search" which will open up a new tab in your browser. Type 4B-2363 into that and voila.........

1689069579438.png

JEVANS

The 8K im working on right now is 2” npt plugs for the main transmission/bevel gear oil drain. The bottom of the torque is a straight thread probably 1.5” with a copper sealing washer and the final drives fill port was the same, but final drive drain was 1” npt.
What worked ok for me was to unthread the plug almost all the way. Then just tip it to control how fast it drains. When the bucket is full screw it back in and dump the pail then do it again. Just dont drop the plug or you’ll be hooped.
The other way you could try is set up three or four buckets around the drain. Then use a trough about 18” long to direct the stream to each pail as you fill them up.
The best way is having a 50gallon tub that you can just letter rock out all at once.
(Obviously)

LCA078

Thanks, JEvans. I'll probably do what what you suggest with back out the plug then tip it to fill up the bucket. I'm sure I'll still make a mess but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it by the last bucket.