• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thoughts on a 08 International 7400

wornout wrench

I'm looking at a 2008 International 7400 single axle.
Ad says that it has a 300 hp Maxxforce with a 6 speed

After googling the specs on the truck, it would be a 6 speed stick with air brakes
I'm not sure which engine it is, the 466 or the 530.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about International trucks. I worked on a couple back in the mid 80's, now mostly K/W, Freightliners and Western stars, but I'm more into the stuff with tracks on it then rubber:rolleyes:

What do you know about these trucks, good or bad

1) Engines any good
2) What are the most common problem with the engine
3) How is the wiring, any known problems
4) How dose the truck hold up to a bit of abuse. I am easy on the truck but westcoast logging isn't. Steep hills and some fairly rough gravel roads
5) Dealer support and parts. Any problems with parts. There is an associated parts dealer in town, just as long as things are available I should be able to get it
6) What is parts pricing like on International parts, not the regular stuff you can pull off any shelf?
7) One last thing, what are they like on fuel? About average or a bit of a pig?

So any experiences or thoughts on the subject will be most appreciated

Thanks in advance
Brian
The Wornout Wrench:waving

Old Doug

I dont have one but i like IH just because they so far are easy to get parts for and the dealer parts department here is great so far. If it has a 466 that is a plus. As for the 6speed i hear more about trucks not gear right for the job they do than any thing. Either they are off road alot and not low geared or they are on the road all the time and to low geared.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
don't know much about the 7400 but most of the medium duty internationals are known for electrical gremlins. a/c not working, headlights not working, tps harness troubles,etc. the maxxforce engines are not like the old dt466's. regen issues were a common problem. cabs had plenty of rattles. what are you planning on using the truck for?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
155 views and no comments?

Must be somebody out there has something to say???

I was going to post something along the lines of this earlier regarding my experiences with a 2003 4300 I ordered new -

don't know much about the 7400 but most of the medium duty internationals are known for electrical gremlins. a/c not working, headlights not working, tps harness troubles,etc. the maxxforce engines are not like the old dt466's.

However, I was waiting on someone to post a positive response.:beatsme

I will never own another International newer than 2001 - the old body style. Also had a 2005 7600 tandem dump that I bought new that had the same problems.

wornout wrench

Thanks for the replies.

Looking at a used mechanics truck, just doing the leg work on going on my own. Trying to find something that will work for me and not break the bank is getting interesting.
I absolutely refuse to go with anything smaller then a 3 ton.

So, looking for a Freightliner, International or a kenworth.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I have never had much to do with Internationals, but there are a few of them out there for sale.

I talked to the dealer that had the 7400 for sale and I'm not interested in it anymore. No diff lock, no engine brake, only 80,000 km on it but 20,000 plus hours. It came out of somewhere cold (possibly Fort McMurry) so lots of idle time. I can just imagine what the bearings look like after that much idling, right down to copper!

I will be using it for coastal BC logging so lots of steep ground. The diff lock and engine brake and air brakes are some of the criteria I am looking for plus a decent PTO powered crane, not too picky about what it has for an air compressor, as long as it can keep up and as for a welder, well I prefer to pull wrenches, not welding, so something like a 300 amp would do me fine.

There is an Oshkosh in Nevada for sale that I have had my eye on for years, but even with the price reduced to $145,000 (that works out to $158,00 CDN) it is miles out of my price range. But what a truck that would be:D

Mike L

Occupation
I vote for the kenworth. As far as the Oshkosh goes, is it the blue one ? I've seen that for sale for a long time.

Mike L

Occupation
That thing is so ugly it's cool!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I can feel my teeth chattering, as I drive that rough riding SOB down the highway..:D

Old Doug

Why dont you find a older one and do some work to it. My dad said to me one day" you will have to make payments or work on them" I was working on his before it was payed for.

wornout wrench

An older truck is an option, the thing is that if I am working on my own truck, I am not working on a paying customers machine.
Have seen too many guys spend all of their spare time wrenching on their own truck when they should be spending time with the family.
Need to find the balance point, payment vs wrench time.
That's why I'm looking at used but not too old.
The 7400 with 20,000 hours sounds like a ticking time bomb.

There will be something out there that fits me. I just need to find it.