• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

JD955SC

It’s increasingly getting to the point where for lots of the smaller size equipment for Cat that it’s quicker and maybe cheaper or at worst a wash cost wise to change the whole axle.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
So, can I ask what the majority of the axles are on, what oil is used, and how often is it changed?
One of them is a 544k loader and the rest have been in H and L series skidders. Oil is hy-gard and it’s regularly changed when the axle breaks and there’s no other option. Maintenance is not only not very high on the list, it usually doesn’t make the list.

colson04

One of them is a 544k loader and the rest have been in H and L series skidders. Oil is hy-gard and it’s regularly changed when the axle breaks and there’s no other option. Maintenance is not only not very high on the list, it usually doesn’t make the list.
Typical logger (and old farmers) fashion.

Vetech63

Ok, I got to visit with Alan yesterday. The axle was his call and not LMM. I asked why and he said it was because of time. Our Deere dealer told him that a lot of the parts were either unavailable or weeks out (That wasn't checked because there was never a breakdown of the axle and a parts list made to even check availability) I also told him because of the age of the machine that it was likely aftermarket or used parts would be available.........he just kind of shrugged his shoulders at that. His call.............HIS responsibility. If I am asked about it from upper management I will tell them the same thing.

The Deere parts manager seemed excited to have sold them a $21K axle when I asked about it the other day. They may have steering Alan into that purchase.

Shimmy1

The Deere parts manager seemed excited to have sold them a $21K axle when I asked about it the other day. They may have steering Alan into that purchase.

Gee, I wonder why lol.

For the last couple years, you have chewed a big hole in the revenue from the shop of that dealer, of course they are going to be excited to get that sale.