• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Shimmy1

And this is why there is such a disconnect in this company's operation. One place (Deere or LMM) decides that an entire housing swap is the best path forward to get the machine up and running, but at a sickening price point.

Vetech's approach is more sensible, and probably considerably cheaper from a parts perspective, but his labor bill and the time to get said parts is going to be substantially larger.

I don't see this saga ending anytime soon. These operations have always been more willing to send armored truckloads of cash to a dealer for repair than pay for it done in-house.

Monkeywithawrench

OMG!!! LMM....wtf have you done. The machine is not even in the shop or torn down for inspection yet. Management is going to have a fit Monday.....yikesView attachment 309493
I gotta ask.........did you come in on a Saturday to get some stuff done?? To work without interuption and distraction?? Unencumbered by distractions and questions? To enjoy the solitude and quiet??

Or did you find this on Friday??

Shimmy1

Ah, the Parts Cannon!
I'm not sure about that. This is the epitome of the culture that all these OEMs have been pushing for. All they want is for people to be swapping these large "components" instead of repairing said components because that allows the OEM to capture the revenue from rebuilding at the corporate level, instead of the local one.

Joe H

Dealership repair, get it in and get it out and on to the next one.

Early 70s I worked for a Jag dealer, warranty transmission repairs were overhaul tranny, now just replace it and ship it.

And LMM has no idea what's hiding in there as he's never seen one apart. Replace it, flag the ticket and move on.

Joe H

Truck Shop

Dealership repair, get it in and get it out and on to the next one.

Early 70s I worked for a Jag dealer, warranty transmission repairs were overhaul tranny, now just replace it and ship it.

And LMM has no idea what's hiding in there as he's never seen one apart. Replace it, flag the ticket and move on.

Joe H
Yup---that's a fact. When I worked for a Ford dealer for a very short time in late 80's they
had a new hire for drive train. Unless it was really simple it would get a OEM reman. The
service manager asked me if I would assist him on a C-6 rebuild he had never done one.

HATCHEQUIP

iu

Monkeywithawrench

Ok.........so LMM needed to get part number, price, and availability from JD.

Since LMM is hired from a "Temp" service ( still can't get over that one.........he needed to kick this up the chain to get approval. So he hit up the MM (Alan......the Mall Manager) for approval.......and MM said to LMM "yah.......go ahead and get it." I wonder if the cost was communicated to MM....must have been. Did anyone above MM give approval for said shiny new piece?? So many questions........

So 10-15 years ago, my brother owned a dredging business here in New England. He was working in CT. He had called me up to come "help your brother out". Couldn't find help......competent help that is.
I went down........one day he hands me a blank check. Run over to NY and pick up 2 big cylinders that he had rebuilt at a hydraulics company he found down there. Never had done buisness with them.
I go down, pickup the cylinders, give them the check.......it was around $12k for both. Come back give him the slip..........he goes BALLISTIC!! I guess up in Boston, the reseal of the cylinders would have been around $2k each. He's all over me like it's my fault.
I asked him........did you get a quote from these guys? Did they update you on any changes to said quote?? Extra-ordinary conditions?? (NO, No, and no) And why the HELL would you go to NY if you have a business in MA that you've done work with, have a relationship with, and they give you good pricing?? Dude, get off my ass............I'm the delivery boy.
This is the same guy who was buying 5G jugs of engine oil and hydraulic oil for a PC650 that was leaking like a sieve on the barge. I set him up with my lubricant supplier so he could buy 55G drums, told him to put a pump and reel system in the container on the barge to simplify grease, oil, etc.

We don't talk anymore........LOL. He's out of business.

Vetech63

Here is what I know as fact on this.

Alan called LMM to go look at this loader in the field.......FACT.
I don't hear anything from LMM til the next day when he tells me this machine needs a new axle........FACT.
I tell him it needs to come to the shop.......FACT.
He tells me Deere is having trouble finding the parts.......FACT.
LMM tells me Alan and the General super has to authorize his parts purchases.......Fact.
I drive in this morning and find a new rebuild complete diff assembly.....Fact.
The machine is still in the field and not at the yard or shop.....Fact.
LMM told me it is not tore down.....Fact.
LMM told me early in the week that he had never been into major components but would like to learn.....FACT.

IF someone authorized this purchase then they are a complete idiot. I won't know until Monday morning.

I called Deere while I was standing there staring at this axle. The parts guy that helped with looking it up was the one answering the phone. He told me that Deere has never looked at the machine and that LMM is the one that told them it needed a complete axle. He also said he didn't know that LMM was not authorized to make those type of purchases but assumed since it was this company thy needed it now. No one from the company has talked with them..........all LMM.

All I know is I'm irritated at the complete stupidity here. I'm just dumbfounded! Someone is going to look like a complete moron when this machine shows up at the shop and I point out that it has a problem on one side and that at this point in time......replacing the entire axle is just stupid unless the entire thing is trashed. We don't have Xray vision. We know little to nothing about what the actual problem is and whether it can be repaired.

I may be wrong but I think LMM did this on his own. Alan or the general super have no clue what is involved here. If either authorized this purchase it would surprise me......they have checked with me on EVERY single major thing up to this.

I will get the details on Monday.