• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
It's a fallacy to judge history by today's standards.... The Johnstown dam bursting was a tragedy... but by and large hydroelectric dams saved far, far more lives over the long run through vastly better quality of life.

Same with Henry Ford... he had some ideas today's folks find repugnant, but before he revolutionized auto manufacturing most people were never able to get further than a few miles from where they were born in their entire lives.
You can't justify Johnstown by saying "Greater Good"
No way, No How.

You Can justify Kinzua, and all the others by "Greater good"

Vetech63

Believe it or not, I actually have a bit of time this morning...........so here is what's been going on.

The last several weeks I have been going in with the wife to her machine shop and helping her get her day started. This is normally when I would be on here doing my thing...........hence why I feel like I have disappeared. We finally found someone a few weeks ago that can come in as a contractor when she needs and do machine and CAD programming. This has worked out well and now she is a lot more comfortable working with him. He has been a tremendous help in her keeping the operation open, although she had to make some tough choices and drop some of the work she has done for years. There was just no way for her to keep up by herself 80% of the time. Her spirits are good, and she has accepted her new future.

On my end, it's been chaos as usual. The weekend storm 2-3 weeks ago caused power outages all over the area, this customer was without electricity for a week so nothing at the shop got done at all. Then last week my service truck went down with emission repairs and was down all last week, so again nothing got done with my work.......but I worked with wifey at her machine shop as best I could.

The moral to this story is I'm further behind now than when I started this thread. I am still the only one doing the repair work outside of a few times I had to call the dealer out while I was down. No end in sight and let me tell you, it suckssssss.

My time at her machine shop is slowing down so I believe I can start getting my end back to a more normal routine. I still feel exhausted but dam ready for some normalcy.

Some new things happening with this customer lately............I will fill in those blanks later today. Right now me and wifey are making decisions about our home life and how much do we really want to be doing here with what little time we have outside of taking care of her parents here and work. There is just too much for the 2 of us to take care of now that the kids are not involved, and some sacrifices are necessary for our well-being.

Vetech63

This customer just leased the building and property across the street from their former offices......where their shop is. They are moving the asphalt and paving maintenance side to that facility. The tire place just to the north is building a new facility which is almost done. They will be moving to it in the next month or so. There is talk about this customer buying that facility and turning it into the equipment/truck shop. At that point, they want to tear down the original facility and build new offices and parking. Seems like great ideas to me..........lets see if the plan remains the same in the near future.

mks

Occupation
None currently
So can you just tap a few buttons and see what it does?

Or did you get explicitly told “don’t touch anything”?

Because I would have a hard time not tapping a few buttons, just because I’m that sort of inner 8 year old.
I think that may result in pictures for the carnage thread :)

chidog

It's simple you clamp the part down, chunk of material, then simply push the green button.
And as long as its been setup and running good that is all you do. In your free time you get to do the work, deburring the part that just came off.

Does that machine have a tool setter and probe?