• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This weeks project, A Cofferdam

Lashlander

A company has to replace four 84" culverts with 96" culverts in a lake with a good size Sockeye Salmon run, The state wants the new culverts to be buried below lake level and the inside filled with gravel so the fish don't have to swim though the steel culvert. We diverted the water into two of them and drove a sheetpile cofferdam around them. They will replace those two and we will have to pull three sides and install them around the other two when they are done. When driving the lower wall we were within two feet of the power wires with the crane. They blanketed the wires and provided a spotter but I still don't like getting that close. Cranes and power wires don't mix.:(

Last edited:

BobCatMan

Wow nice pictures and that's a beautiful countryside to be working in,yea you're awful close to those power lines! :eek2

surfer-joe

Looks like good fishing water alright. You already know that minimum OSHA distance is ten feet on electric clearance, but I've seen the juice jump more than that when conditions were right. Very nervous working close to electricity.

bigblueox

how watertight can you get those sheets for the coffer? how do you get them up ? and how easy are they to drive? i was thinking about using them to isolate an area where i want to build a boat house and boat slip. wondering if it is feasable?

Lashlander

Looks like good fishing water alright. You already know that minimum OSHA distance is ten feet on electric clearance, but I've seen the juice jump more than that when conditions were right. Very nervous working close to electricity.

The power company blanketed the wires for us and provided a spotter. Even so I don't like getting that close. I wouldn't have done it unless they said it was ok.

how watertight can you get those sheets for the coffer? how do you get them up ? and how easy are they to drive? i was thinking about using them to isolate an area where i want to build a boat house and boat slip. wondering if it is feasable?

The sheets are pretty water tight. Depending on the amount of ground water there is it shouldn't be a problem to keep them pumped out. The ones I've done before a 3" trash pump at an idle kept up with it once it was dewatered. You need to install some false work to keep them straight. Make sure the first sheet you drive is plumb. These sheets were only 25' long so we threaded them off a ladder. If there to tall for that you have to have a guy set up on the wall threading them together. How hard they drive depends on your soil conditions. I've seen the weight of the vibratory hammer push them into the ground without vibrating and have vibrated on sheets for close to 2 hours each to get them down.
The first pic is the our vibro. It weighs 9,500#.
If you've ever watched The Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel it has showed several boat tied up at Akutan at the Processor unloading. The next four pics are of that dock we installed in 04. The second and third pic shows the Stabber sitting on the wall. Stabbing sheets is a pain in the butt job, literally!:D

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Yup, great pics lash!:thumbsup

I almost missed that guy sitting atop the "I" beam in the second pic. Seemed small sitting there.:rolleyes:

Lashlander

Went out and pulled 3 sides of the Cofferdam and installed them on the other side so they can replace the other culverts. I was mistaking about filling them with rock for the fish though. Its not required on this job for some reason. I'm not really sure what the point is anyway. This job has 4 state inspectors on it, One is the job engineer and the other 3 are strictly environmental inspectors, our tax dollars at work. Kinda makes a guy wonder how anything is alive from all the consruction thats gone on before all the environmental regs were established.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This job has 4 state inspectors on it, One is the job engineer and the other 3 are strictly environmental inspectors, our tax dollars at work. Kinda makes a guy wonder how anything is alive from all the consruction thats gone on before all the environmental regs were established.
:Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :pointhead :pointhead

Amen, Amen, right on, right on, right on!:thumbsup That is the best statement I have heard in a while.

Of course some of the best pics of jobsites on the forum! I don't mean to take away from that but Lash - you have said it perfectly!:drinkup :drinkup

Keep the pics coming - us lower 48 are envious.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Interesting looking project, and the view is awesome.
Trbo