• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This question is for thepumpguysc or anyone else that can answer this.

BigWrench55

I was called out to a customer that had a turbo failure and replaced the turbo himself. He tells me that after changing the turbo the engine sounds like it's trying to run away. I remove the charge air pipes expecting to see the charge air cooler full of oil To my surprise the customer actually did a good job cleaning the oil out. I put everything back together and attempted to start it. With a lot of cranking it would try to fire. But then the oil would combust on the exhaust stroke and the engine would try to run backwards. I told him that the quick and easy way was for me to remove the injectors and flood the cylinders with brake cleaner. Then crank it over and blow out the oil. This is the question for thepumpguysc. When I pulled the injectors #4 and #2 injector tips were swollen. I never seen this type of failure before. This is a common rail fuel system. Did the oil in the combustion chamber get compressed back into the injectors? And would that type of failure along with the oil contamination cause the engine to want to run away? I personally never got the engine to run long enough to see if it actually tries to run away. After it misfired and started to run backwards I quit trying to start it. I am the third mechanic in this situation and don't have the full story of what is happening. I don't even know if the engine isn't harmed by any of this. The customer doesn't want to spend a lot of money. And I am only there because we are the dealer and the last resort after two other shade tree mechanics worked on it. The machine is a Volvo SD100F sheepsfoot roller and has a 4cyl Cummins teir3. I don't remember the model and my work phone with that information is at work.

BigWrench55

What are the chances those damaged injectors are stuck wide open?

It's possible. I shut it down as soon as I seen the engine spin backwards and blowing smoke out the air cleaner. I don't know if it had ran that way for any length of time before I got there. And any questions are answered with dodgy answers. All I really know for certain is what I seen personally and take every dodgy answer with a grain of salt.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Hmmm..
I’ve seen tip swell due to water in the system..
It’s very possible for those injectors to be stuck open causing the problem..
Who rebuilt the turbo.?? Them.??
If the turbo is leaking oil into the engine, that will definitely b a cause of the run away..
Customer doesn’t want to spend a lot of money.. lol
Then tell him to hire someone who works for free..

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I wonder if it ran long enough with those messed up nozzle tips to torch holes in the pistons? It doesn’t take very long.
The original complaint, or root cause of the engine problem probably wasn’t the turbo.

BigWrench55

I didn't think about water contamination and I kinda recall that being a symptom. Like I said before all I get is dodgy answers. When I originally asked what the problems they were experiencing before the turbo was replaced. I was told lots of black smoke. And now it's white smoke. Not one answer that I got helped. It only led to more questions and more answers that don't make sense. The customer is fully aware that nothing that I do is guaranteed and there will be no warranty. The answers that I am getting tonight are helping me put the puzzle pieces together. I tried to get my inspection camera in for a look. But it wouldn't fit through the hole. After flushing the cylinders with brake cleaner I was able to see the aluminium piston. From what I could see through the tiny hole I didn't see any deformation of the piston. It's sounding more and more like this engine is toast. I will be on vacation all next week and probably won't ever get the full story. I'm thinking now that a compression test needs to be done and the head removed if the results aren't favorable.

cosmaar1

I didn't think about water contamination and I kinda recall that being a symptom. Like I said before all I get is dodgy answers. When I originally asked what the problems they were experiencing before the turbo was replaced. I was told lots of black smoke. And now it's white smoke. Not one answer that I got helped. It only led to more questions and more answers that don't make sense. The customer is fully aware that nothing that I do is guaranteed and there will be no warranty. The answers that I am getting tonight are helping me put the puzzle pieces together. I tried to get my inspection camera in for a look. But it wouldn't fit through the hole. After flushing the cylinders with brake cleaner I was able to see the aluminium piston. From what I could see through the tiny hole I didn't see any deformation of the piston. It's sounding more and more like this engine is toast. I will be on vacation all next week and probably won't ever get the full story. I'm thinking now that a compression test needs to be done and the head removed if the results aren't favorable.

but that all costs $$$$ and they don’t want to spend it!