• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This dam HEAT......

Vetech63

yeah, its about to kill me. 98 and high humidity:eek:...……...becoming a Walmart greeter is looking a lot more attractive at the moment:D. Anyone else on the verge of a heat stroke? Im thinking I may be getting to old for this crap.o_O

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Right there with ya! What’s worse is in and out of the air conditioned truck! There are days it doesn’t seem to bother me and others it kicks my a$$! Today wasn’t bad for some reason. Maybe it was all the Corona last night.....haha

hvy 1ton

97° with 78° dew point here. Spent 4 hours putting in more drip irrigation for my Mom this morning. Tired to spend the rest of the day in A/C and mostly managed it.

AzIron

113 and 20 percent humidity could be worse before the end of July we will see above 115 and 50 percent humidity

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
89° and 23° dew point today. Not even any condensation on the AC compressor return line right now. It really is a dry heat. Of course brush fires are always a threat.

blucllrplt

103 here north of DFW. Installing AC in the shop was one of the best gifts I ever received. Actually now enjoy working in there.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My shop isn’t bad. 20’ walls help, N/S doors help with a breeze. It’s tolerable most of the time. Then again most days I’m out on site anyway lol

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
For the past 4-5 days its been 105-108* heat index.. LOTS of warnings on the radio..
Then, just before dark, we get these micro burst lightening & thunder storms w/ 50+mph winds.. for about 1 hr..
The 1st one caught me off guard & destroyed abunch of stuff.. ripped up the canopy I had set-up in the yard.. I still haven't found my beach umbrellas that were in a solid steel base.!!

I turned down a job afew days ago.. customer said, I'll meet you at 10:am..
I said, I'll be done & home by 10:am.
He said, that's the earliest I can meet you..
I said, sorry, I don't work in the heat & besides, I don't need you there..
He said, But I wanna be there to watch..
I said, sorry.. I either work early in the a.m. or find someone else..
I haven't heard back from him.. "YET"..

Vetech63

I need to buy me a 20000 BTU air conditioner (the kind you stuff in a window) and install me a lift hook on it. Then Ill suspend that with my crane right on top of me where im working, with only the sound of the welder running annoying me. I drove by a local park yesterday and saw a splash pad full of kids playing in the water. I was dam tempted to stop and go throw myself on the ground right under it. With me in my dirty, tattered work clothes, Im sure the parents would think Im a homeless transient. :confused:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Lol..
I found a product that actually works.. its one of those "cold towels"
You drench it in cold water & wrap it/drape it around your neck & it stays cold for hours..
I think mine is the original from Frogg Togg.?? I have a REAL problem w/ heat, so the wife bought that for me.. IT WORKS..
Theres abunch of knock offs on the market now but I cant comment on them.. haven't used'm..
I don't know how they stay so cold, but draping it around your neck, the cold gets to your corotid artery & cools your blood..
When you put it on for the first time, it takes your breath away.. like jumping into a cold lake.
IF ONLY they could make something like that for a beer can.. something that would stay cold for HOURS.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
IF ONLY they could make something like that for a beer can.. something that would stay cold for HOURS.

How long does it take you to drink a beer? Don't recall ever having a problem keeping one cold, maybe the third or fourth on a hot day but not the first one or two!

Buickspec6231

I've decided to never curse the heat, since we spend so much of the year cold and buried in snow. Although, our heat here in Central New York is only high for a few days at a time before it drops to a more average temperature.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've decided to never curse the heat, since we spend so much of the year cold and buried in snow. Although, our heat here in Central New York is only high for a few days at a time before it drops to a more average temperature.

I agree. The later part of this winter was quite cold by our standards and I spent a lot of time freezing my fingers off. Froze the blossoms off my peach tree. When it is hot I can deal with it but I try to work early mornings and late evenings and spend the hot afternoon in the office on the real hot days. Air conditioning in the truck is a must. I spent one summer with a broken AC because I knew I was switching out of that truck soon, never again will I do that.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Very true, I'm trying to get up the ambition to put in the window AC units in the house before the heat hits. Seems like it sometimes takes longer to put them in than they run some years!

One good thing is I have at least two years of wood stacked in the wood shed so when this heat is gone I'm good to go for the cold.

Tenwheeler

Lol..
I found a product that actually works.. its one of those "cold towels"
You drench it in cold water & wrap it/drape it around your neck & it stays cold for hours..
I think mine is the original from Frogg Togg.?? I have a REAL problem w/ heat, so the wife bought that for me.. IT WORKS..
Theres abunch of knock offs on the market now but I cant comment on them.. haven't used'm..
I don't know how they stay so cold, but draping it around your neck, the cold gets to your corotid artery & cools your blood..
When you put it on for the first time, it takes your breath away.. like jumping into a cold lake.