• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thinking of a new tractor

crowbar032

I've been looking around for a new tractor in the 50-55 PTO horse power range. The kicker is I want it to last as long as the 1968 Massey Ferguson 150 and 1955Massey Harris Ferguson TO-35 that I inherited from my Dad that he bought used. Even funnier is that there are plenty of parts available for both of them. Anyone have any thoughts on which ones would be the most reliable and have the least electronic junk on them? Hopefully I got this in the right forum.

hvy 1ton

how much money you looking to spend and are you gonna put a loader on it? If no loader i would go for a 5000 series Deere. The dry clutch isn't great for loader work.

crowbar032

how much money you looking to spend and are you gonna put a loader on it? If no loader i would go for a 5000 series Deere. The dry clutch isn't great for loader work.

A loader is probably the handiest thing to have around the farm. Since I can't afford a skid steer as well as a tractor, I would eventually like to add a loader. The loader will be used more as a carry all than anything, maybe move some snow, round bales of hay, ect. Nothing extreme. As far as a budget, I'd say in the $25k to $40k range. As much as it hurts, I'd rather spend more now on something that will last than spend less on something that will nickel dime me to death and be broken when I need it.

I have looked on-line at the 5055 4x4 Deere. I'm just a little concerned with the assembled/manufactured in India.

hvy 1ton

There are versions of both the 5000 and 6000 that you should stay away from. You want to stick to the NA/German built ones. For heavy loader use, like loading or unloading trucks, i would go for a 6210.

North Texan

There are plenty of brands that would probably serve you well. My actual favorite utility tractor is a Deutz-Fahr, but dealers are hard to find. Most smaller tractors now are being made overseas. While Deutz is made overseas, the engines and all the components on most of their models are made in developed European countries. The workmanship on them is excellent. There is no comparison to the tractors made in Southeast Asia.

Case IH, John Deere, New Holland, Cat/Challenger and the like all make good tractors, but some of their smaller tractors are made in India. Those tractors aren't necessarily bad tractors, but they aren't in the same league as tractors made in the U.S. or Europe. Even if you have to go up a little in size, get one that is made here instead of India, Korea or the like. And get one that has the proprietary Case IH, John Deere, Caterpillar or whatever engine, not a rebranded Yanmar, Shubaru, or the like.

icestationzebra

Texan, just curious why you don't recommend Yanmar? They are a well built engine and parts should be available through other channels. ISZ

North Texan

I would not class a Yanmar as well-built. I haven't run a tractor with them that I wouldn't consider just a glorified lawnmower. The engines I mentioned can be rebuilt from the block. A Yanmar cannot, and must be bored. Working on one requires metric tool sets. They don't have good torque or power at lower RPMs. It takes running them at full or close to full throttle to sniff the advertised HP, which on these tractors is often rated at the engine, not the PTO. Something like a Deutz will produce more torque and power at 1200 RPM's than a Yanmar at full-throttle.

I also don't care much for the tractor around them. These tractors were designed to handle only the power these engines produce. Bumping up into a John Deere with a PowerTech, a Challenger with a Caterpillar, or the like, these tractors were often built to serve certain size classes. With around 50 HP on the low end, you are getting a tractor, frame, transmission, cooling system, axles, etc., that were built to handle engines rated up to maybe 90 hp. Thus, the components on these tractors are almost "overbuilt", and can easily handle most of the stresses they would be put through.

John Deere's small tractors, and now I think Cub Cadet, are essentially rebranded Yanmars. I've run some of the Deere's, and I wouldn't give more than scrap value for one. They don't handle constant pull on the engine well. Plowing or shredding in the Texas heat, they get hot and run hot all the time. By 1:30 or 2:00pm, it's time to park them for the day. They do the same thing shredding when a few leaves or some grass and dust start catching in the radiator. They probably aren't bad for the weekend warrior, but they just aren't made to hold up to farm use. Twice, I've had the center pin pushed through the pin support and the rear end of the tractor.

These were all newer than my Massey Ferguson 235, but they weren't near the tractor. The only advantage they had was shifting. The clutch on the Ferguson feels like it takes 500 lbs of pressure to push in, and it's just really a standard transmission. I much prefer powershifts or shuttleshifts.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Unfortunatly your stuck in the hobby farmer hole in the tractor company offerings. To get a tractor with nice quality and decent features you almost have to jump 30 hp. Dad bought a case ih farmall series 80 4x4, cab, loader for low 40's here a year ago. Its a pretty handy tractor, but it doesn't pull like his 966 did...

The best options that I have seen in that size class is the new hollands. Personally I'd probably find a used 10-20 year old model with not alot of hours, back then the 50hp tractor was still a decent tractor, not an indian lawn mower.

crowbar032

Unfortunatly your stuck in the hobby farmer hole in the tractor company offerings. To get a tractor with nice quality and decent features you almost have to jump 30 hp. Dad bought a case ih farmall series 80 4x4, cab, loader for low 40's here a year ago. Its a pretty handy tractor, but it doesn't pull like his 966 did...

The best options that I have seen in that size class is the new hollands. Personally I'd probably find a used 10-20 year old model with not alot of hours, back then the 50hp tractor was still a decent tractor, not an indian lawn mower.

I've been kinda browsing/looking around for a 175 Massey as it would fit in with the other pieces of equipment and tractors I currently have. It would also run a round baler, which is the primary reason I'm looking for another/bigger tractor. That being said, I was hoping to move up to a 4x4 and more hydraulic outlets for a loader and pull behind implements. The downside of the 175 Massey is an underpowered hydraulic pump, not many were made, and the ones I've found all have 4000 plus hours and still command $5000.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
Yanmar is the only way to go crowbar031,john deere and nom cub cadet love them.

SFSRACING

I bought a new 5103 John Deere in 2006. I am very pleased with this tractor, very strong and fuel efficient. I have a six foot Deere bushhog that it pulls very well, plowing, and raking its great. The dealer said if i pulled a baler all the time go with the 5203 or 5303.

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
If my dad and i were in america we would get the massey HD series tractors. although they start at 75hp they look to be well built. maybe the 2600 series would do you good but i have no experience with them. since we have nearly NO massey dealers in our area we run CLAAS tractors: they have JD motors, Massey transmissions, RENAULT cabs, and CARRARO transaxles (front and rear). they are however, VERY HEAVY on electronics! although its a HIGHLY productive tractor, my dad and i dread the day an electrical fault occurs.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
The New Holland 2120 is a pretty bulletproof machine, they were made for many years. Still available in other Countries, just not USA.

Can't say anything bad about mine.

Ed

Mac102004

John Deere is over-rated. Buy a nice Massey or Case/New Holland, or a Challenger, they are nice. Same tractor as Massey only yellow.

Randy88

Kubota is the only way to go, I've run seval of them now and they are nice simple tractors, depending on what model or transmission you get, around me they are becoming really popular, front wheel assits, cabs and loaders, from the models I've run, they are still about the nicest out there and dealer support is gaining every day. Everyone I've talked to that has one has no problems with them, their loaders also have a quick tach for the bucket that accepts common skid steer buckets and attachments, really handy, maybe others do to but I haven't seen any others with that option.

Mac102004

I agree, Kubota makes a great tractor. BUT. They are small for their HP rating. A 50-60hp Massey, Deere, Case, New Holland etc. is much larger and heavier than an equal HP Kubota (or Kioti, similar to Kubota and also a good tractor). IMO there is no point in buying a 40hp sized tractor with a 60hp motor. What is that extra 20hp doing?