• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thinking about another yarder....?

Scott S

We have a 255 TSY which I really like but I have the opportunity to put on another side which would be more suited for a tube tower with longer reach.

Knowledgeable rigging crew is a issue(face it all we are outliving our industry when it comes to rigging) if you were to choose a manufacturer and a 3 drum system what would you prefer?

Weight,access, landing size, speed, the ability to high lead, shotgun, and Bend all ways are issues.

What would you get?

Diamond Danebo

Occupation
Equipment operator
Personally I am very fond of the Skagit 737, I am aware that the 739's were built on self propelled carriers,other than that I have seen a BU 84 on Track carrier with 85 ft tube? perform well I would contact Matt and BJ Smith of B&M Logging in Chehalis and talk with them about yarder scenarios they are very Knowledgeable and are all around good guys Cheers Daniel

furpo

For more reach than a TSY255 you are talking about quite a big tower yarder. From memory then go out 600 odd meters. It has been quite some time since the big yarder manufacturers made something like that. The TY90 I suspect would be the last from North America. Brightwaters down here in NZ make a tracked 85ft tower which would be hard to go past if you are after something new.

Diamond Danebo

Occupation
Equipment operator
For more reach than a TSY255 you are talking about quite a big tower yarder. From memory then go out 600 odd meters. It has been quite some time since the big yarder manufacturers made something like that. The TY90 I suspect would be the last from North America. Brightwaters down here in NZ make a tracked 85ft tower which would be hard to go past if you are after something new.

pretty close I remember rigging up a BU737 we were hanging out almost 2 km's. that is right about the TY90 though, I've heard the Bellis Haulers are pretty tidy are they made by brightwater then ? I have only recently heard about them, I have seen where crews are still using the older Washington, Skagit, Thunderbird Haulers in NZ

Diamond Danebo

Occupation
Equipment operator
Where abouts in NZ are you working ? I saw some awesome pictures of the steep Cable Logging there,it really makes me want to go and check it out!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Scott,
Personally I am a fan of the Skagit 737's and 739's,BU-94's and the Thunderbird TY-90's.
I have hung out over 6700 feet with a 209 washington also. It all depends how much highway moving you have to do and what size lines you want to run. Whatever you do please stay away from anything with block purchase guylines as they are SLOW to rig and a pain in the azz. Some Berger T-23's have them, some don't.
If you are looking for a machine and find something in washington I can go look at it if you are interested.

Darren
360-520-2850

Scott S

Thanks all, we have currently 3500 feet of inch swaged on the 255 to use as a skyline, we have been out as far as 2800 feet. My main concern is these machines were never really mean to be "standing skyline" rigged. There was a 255 failure near here recently where a guyline drum broke loose from it's mounting.

I guess I will need to take a "tour" of operating side when I get time and get a glimpse of what others are doing.

furpo

Diamond Danebo;

We are in the central north island doing grapple work with a Madill 120. I have posted pictures in the Madill thread. The forest we are in is near the Waitomo district so plenty of big bluffs and tomo's.

There are a lot of old haulers working down here and it is time for some new machines. The old stuff is neat and in most cases still very good it is just time for the 'wheel to turn'.

Yes Brightwater makes the Bellis haulers. They have been doing it for some time. We currently have BE70#1 down in the Wairarapa. I have a photo of it some where. I have seen the JNL owned BE70 work and that crew does well. We have a BE85 coming to work next to us in the near future so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

Scott S

Diamond Danebo;

We are in the central north island doing grapple work with a Madill 120. I have posted pictures in the Madill thread. The forest we are in is near the Waitomo district so plenty of big bluffs and tomo's.

There are a lot of old haulers working down here and it is time for some new machines. The old stuff is neat and in most cases still very good it is just time for the 'wheel to turn'.

Yes Brightwater makes the Bellis haulers. They have been doing it for some time. We currently have BE70#1 down in the Wairarapa. I have a photo of it some where. I have seen the JNL owned BE70 work and that crew does well. We have a BE85 coming to work next to us in the near future so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

What's A tomo?

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Hi Scott S I know of a Allis chalmers HD21 Bulldozer that fell into a tomo hole The Alliss was fitted with blade and rippers The Blade sat on one side of hole the rippers on other side nothing in between it took 2 days of bulldozing with a Cat D6 to get enough dirt under the Allis so it could be hauled out, The Tomo holes are caused by underground streams/water flowing and wearing away a tunnel, we often lost cows in them when we were on a farm in NZ.

Roadswitcher

We have a 255 TSY which I really like but I have the opportunity to put on another side which would be more suited for a tube tower with longer reach.

Knowledgeable rigging crew is a issue(face it all we are outliving our industry when it comes to rigging) if you were to choose a manufacturer and a 3 drum system what would you prefer?

Weight,access, landing size, speed, the ability to high lead, shotgun, and Bend all ways are issues.

What would you get?

For mine, the key question you pose here is 'knowledgeable rigging crew'. A skilled motivated team will be productive with any of the later model towers that you have available over there. Anything less thou, crew wise, especially out on long spans could be a worry irrespective of yarder model/capability.

Scott S

Scott,
Personally I am a fan of the Skagit 737's and 739's,BU-94's and the Thunderbird TY-90's.
I have hung out over 6700 feet with a 209 washington also. It all depends how much highway moving you have to do and what size lines you want to run. Whatever you do please stay away from anything with block purchase guylines as they are SLOW to rig and a pain in the azz. Some Berger T-23's have them, some don't.
If you are looking for a machine and find something in washington I can go look at it if you are interested.

Darren
360-520-2850

Zender has a couple of 737's listed, do you know anything about those machines?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
He has had them listed for 3-4 years but most of the stuff he lists is pretty good. He is a fairly straight shooter (For a salesman lol) and will tell you any hickups he knows of on the machines.