• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thinken of going to school

farmboy9510

Hey boys
Thinking of going to school to get my licence to operate a shovel. I am 16 now I need to be 18. I figure this would give me time to save up for the corse. The coarse is three weeks long and cost about 5500.00. cover all basic digging,loading and unloading the machine,maintence,introduction to surveying and job layouts. Let me know what you think. Any suggestions are welcome.:)

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
i think you would be better off to start at an excavating company now as a laborer and tell the boss your plans and he will train you...save 5500 bucks anyway...my thoughts

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
5500 bucks???????? Is that in a different currency or somthing???? jeez

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
ya thats Ontario Canada what are the courses around you guys thanks alot for the advice
Alex

Canada EH? might wanna try to pm some of the members that are from canada and see what route they took....only members that I can think of are "Burnout" and "vantages" Hopefully they will chime in and offer you some advice;)

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
I went to Fleming for my heavy equipment course.... granted I already knew hwo to run most of what they had.

You would be much further off to check out Fleming college and their course. It's a lot longer, teaches you a lot more than Ontario Truck Driving, and its an actual college course. OSAP will cover that and the instructors there have actually been around the industry.

joispoi

$5,500 for 3 weeks? How are you going to learn anything worthwhile in 3 weeks? They can cover the basics, but you´re not going to receive $5,500 worth of education in such a short time.

You´re wise to be thinking about your future. You can learn a lot just by working as a laborer. Find a good local contractor to work for. Heck most guys will even let you operate the D1 on your first day, even if you´ve never taken a class.

For that kind of money, you should find a longer program.

hackalot

Cost of School

ya thats Ontario Canada what are the courses around you guys thanks alot for the advice
Alex

In upstate SC, the tech college has 4 week courses, 4 day wk, 8 hrs a day.
2 machines $2,500
4 machines $5,000

Dozer, Excavator, Grader, Backhoe

Limit 4 or 8 to a class.