• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ten Commandments List for a grader operator.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
No flame felt. Rather than lean the direction you are trying to hold and causing the leading edge of the tire to hold, which is counter productive, lean the direction the drift is causing the front to drift. This puts the leading edge of the tire into the ground. Rather than creating a ramp which lifts the tire off the ground, it creates a 45 degree edge that digs in. Yeah,,,, stupid huh???? :)

Just try it. I thought it was stupid too.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Dunno fellers.

I'm way out of my depth here, I wouldn't have done more than a couple of hundred hours on a pony motor start Cat 12 . . . it was a while back.

Nothing has changed though the dirt and rocks are the same.

To me if I was casting to the left, the mouldboard is trying to pull the front of the machine to the right so the natural and intuitive thing is to lay the wheels to the left to help counteract the drift.

Is that not correct?

Cheers.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
No flame felt. Rather than lean the direction you are trying to hold and causing the leading edge of the tire to hold, which is counter productive, lean the direction the drift is causing the front to drift. This puts the leading edge of the tire into the ground. Rather than creating a ramp which lifts the tire off the ground, it creates a 45 degree edge that digs in. Yeah,,,, stupid huh???? :)

Just try it. I thought it was stupid too.

Interesting. I haven't put my butt on a grader for 10 years, but I would like to try this.

IronworkerFXR

Occupation
equipment repair
Thou shall not hit fixed objects such as old train rails, manholes, sign footings, and did I mention the live abandoned gas main ?.

DIYDAVE

Interesting. I haven't put my butt on a grader for 10 years, but I would like to try this.

Silly me, I always thought wheel lean was used to snatch trim strips, and door handles off of vehicles, that insist on passing the grader, while working...:beatsme

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
To keep front wheels from sliding use your center shift to move your center of pull. Move it towards the windrow side.
Lean top of wheels direction of windrow.
Then if necessary articulate just a bit away from the windrow.

Metalman 55

Why?

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

20160622_120245.jpg

Just to clarify, I was referring to this windrow, not the discharge one........

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
When I go clean up logging roads for the DNR I pick up the windrow outside the front tire. Just move the blade over and do so. Any other way and the front wheel would be in the ditch. In many township and gravel county road applications it is the same as they move the windrow from side to side each time they get graded.

Metalman 55

When I go clean up logging roads for the DNR I pick up the windrow outside the front tire. Just move the blade over and do so. Any other way and the front wheel would be in the ditch. In many township and gravel county road applications it is the same as they move the windrow from side to side each time they get graded.

I hear you...........have never done municipal work myself, just parking lots & can see your point where sometimes when grading roads you have to bring the windrow in from outside of the tire. Good point.

haulroadturtle

Occupation
cat skinner
turn diff lock on before you spin, turn diff lock off before turning, articulate when you turn, dont throw your windrow on stakes, moldboard rolled back

Silveroddo

Thou shall only leave windrows where one can recover said windrow without loosing material beyond the road surface. Thou shall always be aware of cutting edge wear and replace prior to frog wear. Thou shall always carry a grease gun and extra tube of grease.

grandpa

Thou shall only leave windrows where one can recover said windrow without loosing material beyond the road surface. Thou shall always be aware of cutting edge wear and replace prior to frog wear. Thou shall always carry a grease gun and extra tube of grease.

Wait a minute!!!!!! I produce aggregate. Push that windrow clear off the shoulder!!! :D

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Yair . . .

To me if I was casting to the left, the mouldboard is trying to pull the front of the machine to the right so the natural and intuitive thing is to lay the wheels to the left to help counteract the drift.

Is that not correct?

Cheers.

That's how I had always did it too. My friend says, lean the top of the front tires to the right, into the drift. This puts the weight on the sharp right corner of the tire. Yep, less drift. Go figure.

I believe leaning the tires to the left moves the contact patch forward on the bottom of the tire. This requires less steering wheel turn to get the tire to move leftward. This is translated to improved control of drift by the operator.

As someone else mentioned, I control drift by positioning the table and/or articulation. I rarely lean my front tires. Mostly do so to keep the contact patch flat on the ground if on a bank.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army

Before we got a newer grader with a thicker cutting edge I carried a breaker bar, rachet, socket, extension. I have rotated my cutting edges alongside the road during lunch break. :)