• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The old iron, down the road

skyking1

I got the backstory on these Fairbanks Morse engines.
I drove up and the owner was out front and came over to tell the tale. He gets two sets of them a year on average.
They are the backup genset engines from the early nuke subs that they are breaking up at Bremerton. He says they have to stay in country and can't be exported to China, so they go back east by rail to somewhere that can smelt all the good stuff in there.
Apparently he gets a large volume of inconel that also has stringent requirements on final disposal.
Note the custom artwork on the head on this engine. The crews have fun with it.
PXL_20231214_210347833-1.jpg

Now we have the official weight in paint pen.

PXL_20231214_210359925.jpg

PXL_20231214_210514697-1.jpg

He says the big shear on the 700 will reduce this engine in 20 minutes. The 450 shear had trouble with the crankshaft.

Truck Shop

volume of inconel that also has stringent requirements
Inconel-high nickel content, commonly used in intake/exhaust valves on high output engines.
Would be a premium recyclable these days, years back no one wanted anything with sodium
filled valves in recycling, we use to strip the exhaust valves.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
There is a melt shop in Pa that buys navy scrap for it's alloys, no need to add
so much new when making ingots, if you can buy scrap that already has it in.
They mentioned armor plate having IIRC 3% inconel.

Entropy1

Inconel is suspectable to stress-corrosion cracking under moderate preloads in saltwater, thus there's not much Inconel on a submarine. The only Inconel pipe I'm aware of is the overboard diesel exhaust. If you were to weigh all the Inconel from a recycled submarine at once, it might equal a ton or two tops.

The stated prohibition on export is HY-80 - which submarines have a whole lot of. What's strange is that any competent steel foundry can produce HY steel. I think the real issue is that we don't want foreign nations getting their hands on cutup submarine sections.

The red diesel pictured above weighs 30,600 pounds (Shop 72 marks the component-weight with paint marker upon removal)

Old Growth

The nickel alloys that I know of in subs usually pertains to the nuke piping and heat exchanger/boilers.

Also some other alloys in the radar domes.

Entropy1

Reactor compartments are sealed up and sent to Hanford. They are not sold to the public.

When the USS Long Beach was getting cutup a while back, there was a sealed-bid selling 7.5 million pounds of HY-80, HTS, and OS steel (about 25% of the ship) for a duration of time. May have been a 6-month recycling contract?

Heat exchangers, condensers, and any piping containing seawater will be Cu-Ni. Hydraulic pipe will typically be 300 series CRES. Ventilation is aluminum, wire is copper, everything else (aka the overwhelming vast majority of any ship or submarine) will be carbon steel - of some alloy.

For the high-nickel alloys - the Navy uses quite a bit of Monel, to some degree K-Monel - but uses very little Inconel. Monel and K-Monel hold up exceptionally well to seawater, whereas Inconel does not.

If you want a top-of-the-line turbocharger exhaust manifold, or heavy-duty engine valves, you make them from Inconel. If the recycle guy is getting Inconel that requires export controls, it's probably not coming from the Navy.

skyking1

I don't care. I took him at his word that he also handles a volume of inconel.
I do recall marine shafts made with inconel. My dad's boat shaft was inconel.

Last edited:

Entropy1

We have similar interests Skyking. We live in the same State. We'd probably get along great if we ever met face-to-face.

Life's too short to hold a grudge over perceived insults.

crane operator

We have similar interests Skyking. We live in the same State. We'd probably get along great if we ever met face-to-face.

Life's too short to hold a grudge over perceived insults.

Yeah, but you can't get along online, so why don't you just ignore any threads that skyking1 starts?

I thought he was more than gracious in his last thread on his house build , when you didn't take a hint. I'm not sure why you're so intent on pushing it. Maybe just let it go.