• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The new series of CASE skid steers: A sneak peek

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Here is my opinion after spending some time on the new series CASE skid steers. These machines will be released officially in a couple weeks and so I will not post any pictures of them.

Productivity: I went down to AZ with a chip on my shoulder concerning losing the 4.5L engine. I worked the largest machines hard, even taking my own time during other events to maximize my time in them. I am not concerned about lack of power (at least at this elevation, well see about high elevation performance), through the use of better performing drive motors the wheel torque is the same as before on comparable models. Through the use of a better design of sprockets and drives the 120 size chains are not needed as in the 465 and 450 current machines. The torque curve is excellent, recover is very fast. I left AZ totally at ease on the power plant. Considering how pissed I was about losing the 4.5, the 3.2 and 2.2 are excellent motors. The smaller machines blew everyone away by how strong they were. Excellent job on engine performance.

Comfort: The new cab is excellent. The wind was blowing at about 25-30 mph. I would purposely dump the dry AZ sand and dirt into the wind to wash the machine in dust and dirt. The cab is very tight. Reportedly tighter than anyone elses cab on the market. I believe it. It is also very quiet. The room in the cab is perfect. Wide enough for room but not too wide as to not be able to see the sides of the machine. The Kubota tracked machine which was there as a comparision could have learned something from this. Ergonomics was good everything is adjustable to the different operators sizes. Heated, air ride seats are nice. The method used to pull clean air into the cab was excellent and I am surprised more don't do something similiar, especially considering how much issue CAT has had with keeping their cabs clean in difficult conditions. Visibity is outstanding.

Control: They come, depending on model with no servos, servos and E/H. The nonservo machines were surprising to me in that they don't have as much push back as I would have expected overall not bad much better than the BC nonservo machine. The servo machines were typical CASE which is to say excellent. Short throws (relative to manual controls, not compared to pilots or other E/H systems obviously). The real news of course is in the E/H. Overall the system is good, it is responsive and fast. No one has brought their E/H to market and not had to continually evolve the system. I expect the same here. I was happy with most of it. However I really wanted to be able to dial in sensitivity and speed or at least give me (like an excavator) different settings to fit job or operator. That is not present in this release.

Serviceability: All routine services can be done from the rear of the machine. All filters are easy to reach. The cab no longer is a tool free release as on the large current machines you have to release two bolts like the 430 sized machines. Servicing the machine will be a breeze. A great deal of thought when into being able to service this machine and it shows. A couple small things would have made it even better, this was from a mulching perspective. I brought those ideas up and who knows maybe they will be added later.

Subjective thoughts This new series was very well done. Perfect? not in my eyes, however this machine will without a doubt grab considerable marketshare. This series will have two high flow options like the old XT did. The standard highflow will be decent, the super high flow will be well...super. This makes me very happy. One thing I noticed about this group of engineers and platform managers is these guys are passionate about this project. Not "this is my job and I need to do it well" passionate, I mean these guys get it. They are very competent and I believe truly care about this project. Passion about this machine at all levels was very evident and beyond what I have seen in years past. I have many examples of this, but safe to say, it is definetly there.

A couple things worth noting:

The Kubota was extremely disappointing to me. It was the 75 sized machine. I really thought this would be impressive given Kubota's standing in the compact market. The OROPS on this machine is too wide. Push power was unimpressive, breakout was good, control system unimpressive and lift power very unimpressive. I really thought this machine would blow me away, it did not. Not even close. I am curious to see what others think of this machine. I would not own one.

A couple of the star models as I and others saw them. The small 130 sized machine surprised everyone on how capable it was. The 175/185 were also surprising to me, they will sell a lot of these machines without a doubt.

The TR270 which is a radial lift track machine was very impressive. I wanted one. Very well done, excellent push power, breakout on all these machines is impressive, lift was excellent. Way more powerful than you would expect for this size machine.

The SR250 which is a radial lift wheeled machine. I spent a lot of time in this machine. I thought this was my favorate wheeled machine, excellent balance, excellent power. I think this machine would be very productive wheeled machine.

After getting back yesterday, I built a machine for order, it is a TR320. They did not have this model there but after running the 270, I felt this machine would replace my 440 VTS perfectly.

As these machines start to trickle out, they are certainly worth a demo. I look forward to hearing what others think of them.

xkv8r

Thanks KSSS . I am a CASE man too . I still have my 16 year old 1840 and newer 420 . Both have been faithful. I currently am pushing snow with S250 with 500 hrs and am not impressed . Way too much pushback through the levers . It ll make your forearms burn after 5-6 hrs. Plus I have size 13 feet and have hard time getting my feet in and out of Bobcat. It will be nice to see new Case . When we had Ag show my helper is 6'2 and his head would hit ceiling and knees would hit front of cab even with seat back in the Cat , Jd , Bobcats . Case 400 machines had way more room and cab was not as cramped. It will be nice to try new machine. Did they let you take any pics. I have just seen brochure at Case Dealer my friend is salesman there .

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Good write up KSSS!
Amazing how some of you guys can get to have a play with unreleased new models, I mean the machine is already made & changes could be had to make at this stage of development.

What interests me more is, how did you get an invite?
Do you know someone in CNH?
How many other "owners" were there on the day?
Does this type of field day go on for more than a day?
Do you fill in questionaires about each machine you operate?
If so, what type of questions are typical?
Was the Kubota the only other brand there?
Do you feel CNH is REALLY listening to your input, or is this just a PR thing for some valued clients?

I would love to see this kind of thing & am just curious about the whole event :cool2

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I did not take any photos, soon the machine will release and I did not want to get in trouble for releasing any photos before CASE actually released the machine. The cab on this series "alpha" is about 10X the cab of the 400 series. More room, actually seals, quiet, much better HVAC. The E/H will take some time to adjust to. If your running a nonSJC Bobcat, it will take some time to get used to the quick response of the E/H. You certainly wont be sore from running them.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Good write up KSSS!
Amazing how some of you guys can get to have a play with unreleased new models, I mean the machine is already made & changes could be had to make at this stage of development.

What interests me more is, how did you get an invite?
Do you know someone in CNH?
How many other "owners" were there on the day?
Does this type of field day go on for more than a day?
Do you fill in questionaires about each machine you operate?
If so, what type of questions are typical?
Was the Kubota the only other brand there?
Do you feel CNH is REALLY listening to your input, or is this just a PR thing for some valued clients?

I would love to see this kind of thing & am just curious about the whole event :cool2

There are customer clinics which took place during development. They bring in operators of CASE and other machines to get feedback on the prototype series. This type of clinic involves a lot of competetive machines.

The showing I was at was more for sales guys and some others to see what the new machines would be like. They had CAT C series, BC, Kubota at this showing as comparison but that was really not the goal of this event like it would be for customer clinic.

As far as questions, this you see at the customer clinics they did not have that here. You were encouraged to take notes and they had a round table to discuss thoughts and concerns.

There is no doubt that CNH is listening. I expect that the E/H will be a work in progress. They listened to thoughts and conerns and some changes were made right up to release. I think that speaks volumes of their committment to getting this right. They could easily have said that the machine is what it is. Sell it or live with it depending on your situation. That is not the case.

As far as why I got to go? I have attended a number of customer clinics in the past, and had this opportunity to see this preview. Since I am likely ordering one, I am probably getting played a little. This event was just a day long.

Last edited:

dave esterns

well. here is my observation.

first of all, that is a serious disappointment case is not offering the sweet case servo controls on the 185. what is the point of getting a case? their control system i think has always been their major selling point.

for the last decade or so i have always wondered y no skid steer manufacturer has ever made a machine to compete directly with bobcats 185 175 205 773. bobcat has dominated this market forever.

they are kinda late completely "copying" [with manual controls] the 185 now cuz i think the 185s hayday is about over. we have a 185 and i have grown to hate it because its such a pain to drive with the standard bobcat controls. (although the controllability i doubt could be matched by any other control system) (which is y whenever you see people doing skid steer stunts on youtube, they usually have a bobcat) (i have yet to see anyone doing stunts with iso controls)

i would suspect their main problem is that even though they have a machine to compete with a 185 right now. bobcat is going to be replacing that machine soon, and i would imagine the replacement would have around 2100lbs of lift. at least if bobcat was smart they would replace the 185 with a machine with more lift and more strength. cuz that is what you do when u replace a machine. so everyone will be playing catch up once again.

we are going to be in the market for a machine to replace the 185, and i want something of the same size with more power and more lift, i dont want a machine with the same rating, you always want an improvement when you get something new.

i was contemplating a 185 with case controls, but since they dont have it i guess the new jcb 190 is the only option. (which i also wish had more lift.)

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Here is a link to some photos taken at the AZ proving grounds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellingtonimplement/5428209346/in/photostream/

Dave,

As a long time advocate of CASE servos (even when pilots were available I have continued to order the servos) I would agree that it would have been nice if they were to put servos in this machine. The reasoning is two fold. One is the price point, which I was told when I asked this question is several K. The other is the direct linkage allows operators to easily tell when they are working the machine. Servos with their ease of operation allow the operator to easily kill the machine. My response was "that sounds like operator error and deengineering a machine to compensatate for that seems to be the wrong approach". However after spending time in both the 175 and 185 I was surpised at how much better the control system was then the S185. Less push back in the controls and easier control manipulation. Its still not CASE servo easy but its easier than an S series Bobcat.

Next up: ROC. I will explain how the ROC and counter weights are designed to work on these machines. The SV185 can be counter weighted to 2050. If you want servos and you want a little more ROC than you should investigate the SR200, which can be counter weights with an additional 200 pounds if you like.

I agree the CASE servos are nice, but this segment is not willing to pay for them. Also BC will update the S185 but I dont agree that they will up the ROC. They have the 205 which is a heavier 185. The S185 is BC's best selling machine. They are not going to mess to much with what obviously works for them.

dave esterns

nice pics.
so is a 185 going to have optional electric controls then?

are they going to offer mechanical hand contorls? it looks like it. only more of an 1845c setup? didnt they have problems with people getting carpal tunnel with that setup?

when you counter weight a machine doesn't that kind of effect your balance?

i always kinda figured bobcat would drop either the 175 or 185 or 205 with the m series. because the 175 185 205 always seemed a bit redundant to me. i was hoping they would get 205 specs out of a 185s weight and call it good. i guess they could leave the 175 about the same, then up both the 185 and 205 a little to separate them more.

need vertical lift.

did you comment once that you run both takeuchi and case skidding machines?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The only control system available for the 185 and smaller machines is the direct linkage control system.

You can get these direct linkage machines in Hand and hand foot configurations.

The idea of the counterweights is to use them when you need additional lift. So when your utilizing the extra ROC there is no issue with balance. If you don't need the extra ROC take them off and your back to the standard 30% front and 70% back weight distribution. Even with the counterweights attached you may now be 25% front 75% back. Hardly enough that you would notice. Only going up a ramped trailer without a bucket would likely see this as an issue.

I don't see Bobcat altering the ROC chemistry of the S185. When you sell as many of those machines as they do, you cant afford to mess with what makes you money.

Have been buying TK mini excavators since 03. I don't buy their CTLs, at least up to this point I have not.

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
They look very different but I guess I can get use to it =D, does anyone know when the expected release date is? And the mesh on the ROPS looks alot weaker than previous models too. But thanks heaps for the review to KSSS

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yes the mesh being smaller looks weaker. They claim that this ROPS is actually stronger, but no getting around its looks. I thought the machines would start showing up in May, but I might be wrong.

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Righto then if they say so but when I roll it they want to hope it holds. I think someone said April but we could both be wrong, they might say something at the CONEXPO if were lucky. The cab looks bit more comfortable and with a bit more room too. MMM im excited now!

dave esterns

hmm that really seems odd that they are only offering mechanical h patter controls. that makes them the only company not having a non manual option and iso option on this machine. what ever happened to eh being the "wave of the future?"

when is gehl going to redesign their e series? it will be interesting to see what they do now since their machines always seemed to compete with case series 3 for specs.

what has stopped you from getting a takeuchi ctl? the controls?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I guess for now thats all they want to offer on this class machine (you also have foot controls as an option). I don't disagree with you, I think offering E/H down to the 175 sized machine would have been a good idea at least as an option. I think in my view if your willing to pay for it, you can have it. I thought this of Servos to and CASE disagreed with me. I am sure that if there is a demand for it, they could put E/H into these machines pretty easily.

I think Gehl is happy just to be alive right now. I hear rumor that Manitou would like to find a new home for Gehl, dont know if thats true or not.

I have not owned a dedicated CTL before. I put VTS on a CASE 440 a couple years ago and that has been my first tracked machine. Although there are a few CTLs out here, our high desert conditions dont necessitate tracks for everyday use like in some areas of the Country, but I have come to really like them. I would consider a TK CTL. Depending on work load this Spring I will likely buy the TR340, unless after running it, I don't like it ( this machine was not in AZ) and so I have not run it yet.

dave esterns

ha ha yes. i would imagine gehl IS impressed they are still going. its too bad their agricultural division went down, they had some good stuff. they r kinda behind the times on their skids it seems.

i would imagine we should pick up one of the last 440s. big specs, 185 size. 30 more hp than we need, but i have never desired less power in a machine now that i think about it. if only sitting in one was not similar to sitting in a casket all day.

i say takeuchi should release skid steers. eh? probably not enough money in it for them.

dave esterns

hmm. here is another observation.

as a farmer, electric controls on farm equipment have been shoved down our throats. i have never heard of a farmer demanding electric contorls, but now, you can not get a tractor over 150 hp without full electric controls (and touch screen computers and such as standard equipemnt to control pretty much everything). to remove the cab, just unhook the wiring harness and your good to go. the fact that in the skid steer market they are not moving to electric controls [as of now] seems to be a bit of an anomaly to me. it seems that people are demanding mechanical controls, i guess because they are a little cheaper. so how come that did not happen with farm tractors. tractor prices have more than doubled since they started going all electronic. so how come the same thing did not happen with farm tractors as like what is happening to these skid steers? a common misconception is that mechanical controls are not very user friendly. if the engineers would take the time do design them the right way (seemingly like case and nh did) they can be the ideal way to control your machine.

im sure the argument here will be that when the price of your machine is 30000 it is harder to justify the extra 2000 for electric controls than a machine that is 60000. i dont really see how that makes any sense. i would either be willing to pay the extra 2000 or not willing to pay it. it doesnt have much to do with overall cost. is there some type of human psychology that thinks something is more easily justified because it is a smaller percentage of the total cost? cuz i dont see why that would make a significant difference.

i kind of think that farm tractors are all electric now because there is more money in if for the manufacturer. its probably cheaper to make, easier and faster to engineer, and you can charge whatever you want for parts, and there are lots of extra things to go wrong, which is more money in the manufacturers pocket. not to mention you can start having electronics where you charge the customer every year for upgrades, downloads, and subscriptions and such.

now that tractors have gone all electronic, i can see how there are advantages, but it was all stuff that farmers were forced to learn, and they never would have demanded such tom foolery on their own.

dave esterns

as far as the side screens on the new case. their strength does not matter as far as the ROPS is concerned, not really related. im sure they tested them to make sure they were at least as strong as the old ones as far as say stopping a tree from coming in the side. the machines are sure ugly, what is this still the space age?? not that i care what a skid steer looks like. it is a little interesting they still dont have a one piece glass front. it looks like the side screens can be removed? i dont know y that is necessary unless thats how you clean the windows. personally i like bobcats strategy of putting the windows outside the cage. if you are going to break a window, i dont think weather its inside or outside the screen really makes a difference, its probably still going to break. oh are the air vents on the ceiling? where they should be?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
While at ConExpo I noted that in fact E/H is a control systems option from the 130 size all the way up. Either CASE changed their minds or the information passed was incorrect. Either way from the 185 down you have either manual or E/H options. From the 200 on up you have servo or E/H. Sorry about the confusion.

dave esterns

well i sat in a new new holland skid steer. i was not really impressed. doesnt seem to be anything special about it. maybe that is not a bad thing.