• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

the new Cat D6's.....

9420pullpan

i heard on another equipment forum that the new Cat Dozers such as the D6's will have a new 5 speed powershift transmission in them......

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Haha, no, Squizzy! Now it's my turn to blush and say that I was NOT being sarcastic. I'm curious to know where he heard this information, was all.

Edit: oh, heck, I'll stop beating around the bush... I wasn't sure if this was public information yet, but it's on govbidspec.cat.com:

http://govbidspec.cat.com/cda/files/135071/7/D6N Specalog.pdf

So yes, 9420, is the answer to your question. There is a new "MVP" program for certain tractors in the lineup.

Last edited:

9420pullpan

the forum that i had read it on was DHS diecast. i think you could def use a few more gears in those dozers..... thank you

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I had a feeling you were going to say that. I hadn't seen it on there and was curious where it was posted. Thanks for the info.

Edit: searched for it and found it. Thanks.

Last edited:

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Will the new D6's still have the tiller controls and differential steering? Or is it going to be a FTC machine now?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Still diff steer, according to the literature. Though I'm not sure what will happen for Tier III -- the current production D6N is still Tier II.

Jeez, I've had to edit nearly every post I've made in this thread... anyhow -- the D6N will retain diff steer; the D5N retains FTC.

Last edited:

9420pullpan

well here it is the NEW Cat D6T

i love seeing the new iron. i have seen a few pics of them before today. but here are the pics i have found.
i definately like the idea of a 5 spd tranny and the cab looks very comfortable.

cat  D6T.jpg

cat D6T blade.jpg

D6T size.php.jpg

D6T cab.jpg

D6T cab 3.jpg

link

farm_boy

hey 9520....that 6T picture looks familar :D

Tiger....Is this an actual "5" speed transmission or did they just put a lock up TC in the machine and give the operator the choice of locking up 1st and 2nd gears?

According to the Specalog:

The Multi Velocity Program (MVP) is an
innovative machine control system that
allows the operator to choose from five
different speed ranges in Forward and
Reverse, providing the operator with
the flexibility to match machine speed
to a variety of applications and ground
conditions. This exclusive solution allows
the operator to maximize production,
minimize fuel consumption,and lower
overall machine operating costs.

Sounds like an attempt to do the same thing a hydrostatic transmission has been doing for years:idea

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Sounds like an attempt to do the same thing a hydrostatic transmission has been doing for years:idea

To bad Cat didn't use the hydrostatic tranny and have infinite settings instead of just 5. :D

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Agreed with you both. :( At least the 6K has a hystat now.

Not sure about the lock-up TC... it will take me a while to find out (next few weeks are really busy).

biggixxerjim

To bad Cat didn't use the hydrostatic tranny and have infinite settings instead of just 5. :D

I dunno, personally, all those infinite settings for the Hystat is a little anoying.... I always felt that one of the best geared dozers were the old 550g series Deere's. They had 4 forwards and 4 reverse, but a lock up TC made them a little bit of a pain.

I think the D6 has enough nut to where it doesnt need optimal gearing all the time......:usa

DLMKA

The D6T has MVP which is a "soft" gear between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd. It is entirely software based. It is a feature that can be turned off using a rocker switch in the cab. Basically when shifting to the next gear the transmission shifts up and slows the engine. On the next upshift it the engine speed goes back up to the normal high idle.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF DLMKA! :drinkup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
DLMKA, I'll second Countryboy's welcome, and add that, especially when it comes to the technical aspects of CAT equipment, we always appreciate hearing from well-informed members from Illinois. :)

Wulf

Most Valuable Puzzle

From Cat.com:

Multi Velocity Program (MVP)
The Multi Velocity Program (MVP) is an innovative machine control system that allows the operator to choose from five different speed ranges in Forward and Reverse, providing the operator with the flexibility to match machine speed to a variety of applications and ground conditions. This exclusive solution allows the operator to maximize production, minimize fuel consumption,and lower overall machine operating costs. MVP provides the operator with five speed ranges in both Forward and Reverse. The engine speed in each speed range has been optimized to provide the best performance, fuel economy, and drawbar pull. The operator retains the ability to operate the machine in either the 3 speed or 5 speed

Hope this is not construed as CAT advertising... ;) :p ;)

Attachments

• cat_dcs_cmms_servlet.jpg
    cat_dcs_cmms_servlet.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 763