• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The mechanic said....

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, your automatic graphite induction lubrication system ain't working on the clutch release bearing, look at all that rust on the pressure plate fingers. Or did you forget to refill the graphite reservoir next to the windshield washer fluid tank? That's just being plain mean to that poor little clutch release bearing, it had so much more life to live. :D :cool:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well, your automatic graphite induction lubrication system ain't working on the clutch release bearing, look at all that rust on the pressure plate fingers. Or did you forget to refill the graphite reservoir next to the windshield washer fluid tank? That's just being plain mean to that poor little clutch release bearing, it had so much more life to live. :D :cool:

The graphite system was working fine until.......well, lets just say, "Age, Cunning and Guile will outwit youth, vigour and a leadfoot anyday"....and instead of poking fun at me get over here and help me adjust the trailer brakes....

...seeing as I'm de-clutched its maintenance time:(

mitch504

Atco,
being an administrator he thinks more about electronics than mechanics and he has been trying to figure out how to induct the GRAPHICS into that bottle:bash

:falldownlaugh

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The graphite system was working fine until.......well, lets just say, "Age, Cunning and Guile will outwit youth, vigour and a leadfoot anyday"....and instead of poking fun at me get over here and help me adjust the trailer brakes....

...seeing as I'm de-clutched its maintenance time:(

Umm, well, no worries with trailer brakes...if'n the clutch don't make it go. :tong :cool2

Atco,
being an administrator he thinks more about electronics than mechanics and he has been trying to figure out how to induct the GRAPHICS into that bottle:bash

:falldownlaugh

LoL, trust me mitch, squizzy is smart enough to figure out how to get graphics into that bottle. :yup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Why do they make that brake shoe adjustment slot so small......:Banghead

Squizzy, your gonna make ur blood pressure go up. :nono :D

The adjustment slot ain't supposed to be big enough fer ur finger to fit in, just big enough for a brake adjusting spoon. ;)

mitch504

Hey squizzy,
When something pops in my head like graphics-graphite I am absolutely unable to resist the smart remark. It is a medical diagnosis -smartdumbbehindendism(thus I am not legally responsible):beatsme. But I do feel your pain; like I said in that other thread I am now replacing my third clutch due to a stupid rubber grease hose.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Squizzy, your gonna make ur blood pressure go up. :nono :D

The adjustment slot ain't supposed to be big enough fer ur finger to fit in, just big enough for a brake adjusting spoon. ;)

I just want it to be biggera anuff for me to get my blockhead around the axle and past the jack so I can get my beady eye into line, whilst holding the torch and trying to get the spanner in there.....at which time the faithfull canine decides he should be under the trailer inspecting my workmanship.

Turns out I need some new linings:(

It never rains....

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey squizzy,
When something pops in my head like graphics-graphite I am absolutely unable to resist the smart remark. It is a medical diagnosis -smartdumbbehindendism(thus I am not legally responsible):beatsme. But I do feel your pain; like I said in that other thread I am now replacing my third clutch due to a stupid rubber grease hose.

No worries....heres the real story

About this time last year we were working through a vacant lot taking about 40m3 out of a backyard. The block was soft sand sloping down away from the road, really soft.

The plan was like this: We reverse the truck (empty) down the lot and load it too the gunwhales. Then put the long chain on the front and hook her up to the excavator and stick the skid steer up her backside. I was driving the excavator.

We did this 5 times with old Mick the labourer in the truck. Not one hint of wheel-spin, revs or clutch slipping. Slowly and steadily we just eased the truck out, hydraulics being a far more effective tractive effort. On the Sixth attempt, erstwhile nephew of mine decides he's going to drive the truck (full of youthfull vigour and enthusiasm)......in about 30 seconds the truck is down to the axles and the air is blue with clutch smoke...followed by my language.:cussing:cussing

I've been nursing it around ever since waiting for a good opportunity to have it off the road for some maintenance.

I'm thinking in the future that I can best educate young blokes about clutches, brakes, tailshafts, gearboxes etc...by making them enjoy the fruits of paying for them.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'm thinking in the future that I can best educate young blokes about clutches, brakes, tailshafts, gearboxes etc...by making them enjoy the fruits of paying for them.

Good idea. In addition it's also helpful in training the young'uns with "hands on experience" of helping replace said parts, on their own time of course.:cool:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I just want it to be biggera anuff for me to get my blockhead around the axle and past the jack so I can get my beady eye into line, whilst holding the torch and trying to get the spanner in there.....at which time the faithfull canine decides he should be under the trailer inspecting my workmanship.

Turns out I need some new linings:(

It never rains....

Let me guess, "...it pours!" :D

Don't fret too bad Squizzy, there's a good number of brake designs that don't allow a good view into the adjusting slot to see the starwheel adjuster. On units like that, just has to be done by feel. Ur hands have to be your eyes. Would it help to remove the wheel/tyre and gain some access from the outside? Just a thought.

Once had a similar situation with a dog. Working on a fuel tanker truck. Oil company had a very large purebreed German Shepherd, and he loved to play. Whilst lying on back, underneath the truck attempting to remove u-joint fasteners, Brutus decided I was in an optimum position to be messed with. He lumbers under the truck frame with me, and places both front paws on my chest with his back against the frame of the truck, effectively pinning me down. Much cursing and swearing didn't convice Brutus to get his big arse off of me, and me being relatively small of stature offered no leverage advantage. But God promised he would not put on us more than we can bear, and that his providence will sustain us. Looked to and fro, and noticed a stick within arms reach. Grabbed the stick, showed it to Brutus. His ears perked up which was a sign to give it a healthy fling. Sure enough, thankfully, my captor decided the stick was worthy of immediate pursuit, to which I prompty exited my former prison and proceeded to :cussing Brutus. The dang dog simply brought the stick back for me to fling it once again! :Banghead

Last edited:

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
No worries....heres the real story

About this time last year we were working through a vacant lot taking about 40m3 out of a backyard. The block was soft sand sloping down away from the road, really soft.

The plan was like this: We reverse the truck (empty) down the lot and load it too the gunwhales. Then put the long chain on the front and hook her up to the excavator and stick the skid steer up her backside. I was driving the excavator.

We did this 5 times with old Mick the labourer in the truck. Not one hint of wheel-spin, revs or clutch slipping. Slowly and steadily we just eased the truck out, hydraulics being a far more effective tractive effort. On the Sixth attempt, erstwhile nephew of mine decides he's going to drive the truck (full of youthfull vigour and enthusiasm)......in about 30 seconds the truck is down to the axles and the air is blue with clutch smoke...followed by my language.:cussing:cussing

Yeah, right........:rolleyes:

Attachments

• RS  2.jpg
    RS 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 154

mitch504

Well boss, this is what happened. I was driving the road down by the beach and there was this woman.......:rolleyes::D

And squizzy had GRAPHIC thoughts:D

You see, once something is in my mind it takes forever to get it out:beatsme