• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The last FIAT-ALLIS 41b made

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
my uncle ran a HD 41 near calgary alberta years ago on the Old man River dam project. He said it was good machine, but didn't stand up in the rock like the Caterpillars did.

Your uncle worked for "Top Notch" ?
They have twin 41's and there bolth sitting in a Richie bro's sale in edmonton waiting to be sold:(

indian347

I was told that the 41's were hard on final drives. I know where theirs one sitting in Eastern Ohio that has been down for about 5 years with a bad hart. Jim

A/C Guy

I worked for Allis Chalmers/Fiat Allis in Springfield. Machined 41 final drives in Department 22 as a matter of fact. Fiat moved the manufacturing to Brazil and Italy. They were out of the large construction equipment business not long after moving. Pretty sure they (Fiat) own part of Case New Holland now.

fiat41b is correct, the plant was huge and employed over 5000 people at its peak when I was there.

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
Fat Allis HD-31

Worked for an outfit up in Northern B.C. in the late 80's that had 3 of the HD-31's. Two with rippers and one with a winch. Very powerful machines that were great to operate on the snow or mud, and would push a full blade of anything easily. However. on the blast rock, and solid rocky roads, they were the roughest machine I ever ran. No walking about in higher gears on hard surfaces as they would rattle you right out of the cabs!

I spent many a happy night up in the mountains pushing snow with them in comfort. (for those days anyway!) They all had the Cummins engine but I'm not sure what size, though I do know the mechanics kicked the horsepower up on them. They all came from the Revelstoke CPR tunnel project from what I was told. I'll dig out some pictures when I get a bit of time. :)

X Quad Operator

Good morning Mr fiat41b, would you, or have you access to a spec sheet of the Allis-Chalmers HD41? I have a friend looking for a spec sheet with all its measurements, or do you know of anybody that would have one I could contact. I worked around the neat Allis-Chalmers HD41 back in 1980 for Cassidy-Varella in thousand oaks California they rented it, it cost the company back then $3.00 a minute to rent the only thing rong with Allis-Chalmers was no resale, I didn't get to run it but a buddy of mine did he was turning and didn't have the ripper up high enough and broke the shank off it was a 12" shank and of course we were in nasty rock. Can you do me any good. Mike Nebergall

fiat41b

yeah i can help i just need a little time give me a day or 2 i will get the folder out and see what its got i pretty much know everything there is to know about it