• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The D7E!

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
that is cool a new low tracked d7 i thought we would only see high tracked dozers now

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
yeah i think it looks like a dozer straight from the jetsons, single lift jack, hybrid (kinda), i dunno, i think it would work good, but if it messed up....you would have to get a stimulus package to buy parts for it, and i kinda think it resembles the D6K in the way the interior looks and the way it turns like a john deere...one track spins forward the other backwards when you bump the steering lever all the way to one side, i would really like to run one though

BlackbeardMX

I think it's great idea. I like the idea of no transmission with all the gears, shafts, and bearings to fail. I have wondered why the single lift cylinder isn't used more often after I ran an old terex. The visibility is awesome. The all electric A/C unit is a no brainer if you have the available power. No belt to break. Again, no need for a traditional alternator. Wonder if it has a 110V outlet in the cab? :D

I want one.

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
that'd be nice, put a ps3 and a tv in there for those rainy days

td25c

It's a neet idea using the diesel engine powering the generator to drive the dozer.Cat should have came up with a better name for the new electric drive D-7.They had a D-7e back in the 1960's.There is no comparison between the to dozers.The D7 E has earned its keep.Time will tell if the electric dozer will withstand the job.

Last edited:

ih100

Re single lift cylinder

Hi Guys

Blackbeard, you just reminded me about the Terex dozers in your post. I operated an 82-50 for a time, a real screamer. Apart from the old TD-8's, I can't remember another dozer with the single lift ram. This Terex put me off the idea, as there was so much movement in the blade, which two cylinders would have controlled better. The two corners pitched over a foot in relation to each othe on hard ground. There will be other electric drives, whether they'll go back to twin cylinders remains to be seen.

oldirt

loose blade

two cyl. lift blade will do the same thing when the cross linkage is loose. the hyd. lines are not phased so that the blade can tilt. I ran an 8220B once that had a nice tight blade and it would go where you put it. I liked the single cyl. lift. Very fast acting.

As for the D7E.. well, I would imagine E drive will cost considerably more at this point than a PS trans. which is quite long lasting and not expensive per hour use to maintain. Just not "GREEN". I think pc crap has pushed this some, still it is a very interesting idea, and I wonder where they get rid of all the heat generated by the generator/drive motors? This will not be green..or maybe it will (antifreeze)..

micbare

Occupation
maintance man for a medical group
Single lift cylinder

Caterpillar built some D-9`s with single lift cylinder`s. They were set up with narrow, cushion push blades. These were built in the late 60`s or early 70`s

wolf44

Wonder what happens when you get in wet stuff with this dozer.
I will bet shorting this thing out would be a wallet killer.

JDOFMEMI

They say it is sealed up darn good.
Besides, if you sink a standard dozer, the bill gets up there in a hurry.

Had a night shift dust control water truck driver get stuck one night, and instead of calling for help, he took the D-6R and proceeded to sink it in a pond while trying to pull out his water truck. He was not an operator, and had no business on any machine.

The bill for the D-6 was about $45,000 for the trans, diff, and finals from the water and mud damage. I doubt it would be a whole lot different with the electric version. If they really are sealed like they say, it might even be less, but I doubt it.

Swamp rat

The idea of single cylinder is great. I also have two old 82-40 Terexes , the amount of slop on the blade is almost unnoticable, like anything else if its mantained it will work as planned. We use them mostly to rip thru rock but do a good amount of other work when no other machine is on site.

Galute

WOW! With that single lift cylinder and the center post cab you can see a blade out in front of that thing, who da thunk it? LOL. I'm glad to see the low drive, I dont care for high drives, now if they would just offer a six way blade for it that thing would be super sweet!!

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
I think the members of this forum can be equally critical of all brands. And as far as a criticism of something new when the time comes it will get posted pro or con.