• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex V 12 Detroit Twin turbo

big builder

Has anyone ever seen a huge terex bulldozer with a twin Turbo V-12 Detroit in it?

A friend has one sitting in his yard. It even runs!

I was just curious about what it would weigh?

dumptrucker

There is a company around here that has one they use just to push off their stump dump. I don't know how much it weighs , but I know they have to hire it out to move it because it is bigger than their 50 ton trailer can handle.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Sounds like it would be a Terex 82-50 they came out with a 12v-71 rated at 370 HP.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
82-50 weight

Could that be the bare weight? I figured they were well over 100K lb with blade and ripper.

Lashlander

I think thats operating weight. I won't be home til the middle of November to look at my book. I'll look it up to be sure.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Big Builder can we get some pictures?
Pleeeaaaassee:D

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That is fun to watch.The narrator doesn't know too much about the machine it appears,he thinks the tracks need grease to tighten them up.It is a shame to run them loose like that,maybe it's to help him go around corners and back up with the ripper in the ground.
Those machines had a system using nitrogen to preload the tracks for tension and it actually used grease to adjust them by removing some of that tension for free play.It looks like they have been pumped pretty full of grease.
Those 6-71s sound sweet:)).Ron G

big builder

Ok guys I am trying to send some pictures of this old dozer but my weak computer skills are now apparent.

I will try again tonight.

Lashlander

While I was in Akutan they gave the old 82-50 away. So the manuals went with it. I looked in my Euclid, Terex book and it lists the operating weight of the 82-50 at around 90,000 pounds. I'm sure the 42 ton listed in the spec sheet was operated weight. Ours didn't have a cab but did have a multi shank ripper.

Last edited:

big builder

Lashlander,

I took a picture of it. How do I attach it to my reply?

I tried but it said it was too big.

Lashlander

If it was taken with a regular camera it has to be converted to a jpeg format. If it was taken with a digital camera all you need to do is resize it. Countryboys signature tells how to do it. If you want to email it to me I can change it and post it for you.

Lashlander

Heres the pics that Big Builder took of his friends 82-50. They were a beast. I put around 4000 hours on ours.:usa

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I took a picture of it. How do I attach it to my reply?

I tried but it said it was too big.

Since Lash brought it up ;) , for future reference check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures. :)

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
My god that thing is so freakin ugly. So why do I want one so bad?
It could be because you could rebuild a detroit with a pipewrench and a hammer. It could be because its painted that hideous green. It could be its not another caterpillar.BUT DAMN IT I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Welsh

Banned
Biggest Terex dozer

Was this the biggest dozer terex ever made?

What is the weight ? 60 tons I am guessing.

The biggest Terex dozer would have been 82-80. Twin 6-71 Gemmies and twin allison trannies. An excellent machine, years ahead of the competition at the time, with infinite speed control to each track and the ability to counter-rotate on the spot. Track frames were a weakness but if the design was owned by Cat we would still see them around today.
rdbdwelsh@iprimus.com.au

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Ray Welsh! :drinkup