• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TEREX backhoes

swabbiejeff

Terex backhoes are made in the UK by Fermec

Anyone have opinions? Please, no kids.

I need real world experience- may have found a backhoe with exactly what features I want, but it's a T-REX. I was looking at the usual suspects-Case, CAT, Deere, etc.

Is TEREX an American company? I noticed the machine I'm looking at is made in England.

The Terex group has bought up many companies in the last few years and is known worldwide. You would have no problems getting parts or info in the states , canada or worldwide. Terex bought Euclid, genie,diemag cranes, schaeff, Fuchs, Amida, Benford and many others worldwide.
I have worked on many terex backhoes and find that they are stronger in terms of breakout force and lifting capy than most others. Overall they are a good machine and are priced below case, cat and john deere.
hope this helps. Jeff

Duke

Thanks, jeff. I decided to buy a NH LB-115 instead. I was realy close to buying that Terex, though.

gschwartz

Occupation
Mechanical/Field Engineer
Lb115

Duke, how has the LB115 been treating you? I didn't see a way to message you directly.

I have begun looking for a good used backhoe and have been ultimately considering a Case 590 or a JD 410. Due to prices I think maybe I should consider a Terex 760 or better yet, one of the larger ones. Being in Montana with plenty of room and pretty hard ground, I thought I would get a heavier machine if possible. Even a JD 710 would be fine except for they are too expensive.

Anyway, I see a 2000 LB115 for sale. It has more hours than I would really like - 3,400hrs, but I have not seen it in person yet. Perhaps it is in good shape. Hard to say just from photos. Asking price is less than $29k. I know I could have a much newer Terex 760 with 1/3 the hours for less money.

I thought I would see how your LB115 was going.

Regards,

Greg

Duke

Duke, how has the LB115 been treating you? I didn't see a way to message you directly.

I have begun looking for a good used backhoe and have been ultimately considering a Case 590 or a JD 410. Due to prices I think maybe I should consider a Terex 760 or better yet, one of the larger ones. Being in Montana with plenty of room and pretty hard ground, I thought I would get a heavier machine if possible. Even a JD 710 would be fine except for they are too expensive.

Anyway, I see a 2000 LB115 for sale. It has more hours than I would really like - 3,400hrs, but I have not seen it in person yet. Perhaps it is in good shape. Hard to say just from photos. Asking price is less than $29k. I know I could have a much newer Terex 760 with 1/3 the hours for less money.

I thought I would see how your LB115 was going.

Regards,

Greg

It's going great! Awesome machine. Big, poweful and amazing stability. Load the 1.8yd loader bucket up all you want raise it up high and dump into a dumptruck, no bounce or pucker moments.

Powerful-108HP what else is there to say? :notworthy

Cab is very advanced-lots of controls, gauges, accessories in mine. The 4WS is a dream come true. Turns super tight and just walks over terrain my Case backhoe would have hung-up on.

Backhoe is a real powerhouse, but a little gangly without a curved boom. Stabilizer arms set wide.

Overall machine seems heavy built-industrial grade, yet full of ergonomics in the cab.

Only problems so far is a small cab roof leak and a operatiors seat that won't stay locked all the time.

I bought mine with 5800 hours and it runs perfect and looks like it's less than 5 yr old.

Go for it. They're amazing machines compared to standard backhoes.

ScottAR

How would you rate the backhoe power on the 115 as compared to the SuperL you had?

How much more power? Subjective I know... Will it handle the next size up
bucket as compared to the Case? Pull a 3 ft bucket as well as the Case pulled
a 2ft? I ask because I don't know...

I seem to remember you test drove a 590 at one point... Comparable backhoe?
I could be mistaken on the 590 bit... Been a few days...

Duke

How would you rate the backhoe power on the 115 as compared to the SuperL you had?

How much more power? Subjective I know... Will it handle the next size up
bucket as compared to the Case? Pull a 3 ft bucket as well as the Case pulled
a 2ft? I ask because I don't know...

I would say the LB115 is better with all buckets. It seems to eminate from the size/weight/stability of the stabilizers and the machine's greater power. It handles a 3' bucket easily.

I seem to remember you test drove a 590 at one point... Comparable backhoe?
I could be mistaken on the 590 bit... Been a few days...

I only rented a 590. It has more azz (100+ HP) and wider stabilizers than a 580M. A 590 is a nice bigger machine, but I'd take my LB115 for the 4WS, nicer cab layout and the 4 equal size tires. You go where you want to go. Backhoes like a 590 with smaller front tires don't go where the LB115 will go.

A Case 580 M+ might be able to hang with my LB 115 since it has a locking rear axle and a l/s front axle, but it still doesn't have the ground clearance. You can practically crawl on your hands and knees under an LB115without hitting your back on anything.:)

ScottAR

Thanks for the info... There's a few on Machinery trader
for decent prices but I'll have to sell my Case first.
May be awhile in this market.

Duke

When I went to sell my CASE, I thought I was in for a long wait to sell it. Luckily, a paving company was looking for a laoded-up Case 580 and I sold it for only $500 off my asking price.

There's 2 LB 115's for sale in PA about 100 miles from me. One is a former township machine. Looks pretty nice, but somewhat overpriced:

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6849942

Here's another in PA:

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6959908

They're hard to find, but worth the trouble if you want one.....

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
In the township pictures is that a "snoopy" IH?

Looking at those machines the 1999 machine has a 4:1 bucket, and both need new shoes,also looks like the dipper is dropping so a cylinder rebuild may be required.

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Steve any chance of a drooling smilies please.

Duke

Like the snoopy?

I love IH farm tractors. I think they were some of the best ever built, but thought the snoopy's were really ugly.

JayLam

Terex is a great machine. I have a Terex 760B and and I can tell u that I had no problem selling my 580M series to buy it. Its a better price, better handling, more room (not clunky at all). As for dealerships, true its not like case or cat, but I can get a service guy at my door in 6 hrs or less (traveling time to my place from Pembroke is less then 2 hrs). Case and cat are more common but so are Levis jeans - u pay more for the name brand. For what I could have paid for a used case backhoe 580m with 5000 hrs plus ($50K plus) I bought the Terex at $86K with extended warranty and a second snow bucket. I highly recommend it, but it all depends on if u just prefer other brands, everyone has their choice and I have no problems with that but Terex is great and yes it is american and has been around for like 60 yrs or something and was originally only into the BIG machinery before getting into backhoes and small loaders. Jay

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
Never worked a terex but i know a guy who changes machines fairly quick. He had a 97 jcb and traded it for a 99 fermac and loved it. he later traded it for a 05 terex and got rid of the terex after 1 yr as he snapped the back actor and got alot of wear in the machine. Before you ask all his work was road work and involved breaker work 90 percent of the time. He got wid of the terex for a new case in 2006 and the case is tight as hell and dry as a bone with 8k hours on it. All machines done the same work, but the case in my opinion having seen all his machines was by far the best. On an off nota a new terex 860SX c/w Powershuttle trans, 100hp Perkins engine,7 in 1 front bucket with forks, Ride control, Fenders,Extending backhoe, Hammer piping, Hyd quick hitch and one rear bucket at 48000.00 euros

whatwas

I ran a Terex for a couple years and really liked it. I worked for a municipallity and "lowest bid" made the sale (municiple tender policy) It wasn't yellow so I wasn't very happy at first, but it was a good machine. cons were -we had to re-route hyd lines to hoe because they routed them under hoe pivot, cab interior fit and finish was poor,hood latch was garbage (used a bungie), stablizers were long and if you lifted them to fast the shoe would hit the glass, but we found lots of parts including cab glass from case were the same, perkins was great, top speed was 40+ kph. I'm keeping a eye on it and will put in a bid to buy it when it for myself when it comes up.

Drc

drtag1line knows his stuff, I remember a TLK, also remember it was not very impressive.