• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex 72 51b trans test?

Neily

Hi all, thinking about buying an old green monster of my neighbour, she's pretty rough to look at and the engine is worn out but it's a fairly honest old loader I think. Just after a bit of advise when it comes to checking the converter, seems a bit sluggish/ lose. took it for a run today and it seems to need a heap of revs to get it moving but when ya start pushing hard and tred on it it will spin the wheels, any one with experience out there know if this is normal? Thanks

Ryan151

It's got a detroit yeah? Put a tachometer on it and see how much it is really revving. If it had a problem it likely wouldn't spin the tires in a push. Detroits often sound like they are at slot higher Rpm than they are.

Neily

Hi yeah 6v71t, not sure on the actual revs but I'd guess it's pretty happy just going straight to the governor. Most loaders I've ever driver- not many, seem to start to move just above idle like a car. I have a w7e case and the converter will load the engine but the terex seems to be a bit 'free' sorta as if its over powered or the converter is slipping a bit. I guess I'll just have to take the gamble. I assume that the converters are not that hard to rebuild? I'm going to buy this loader just not sure how to approach this, first thing I'll do is pull the engine out and rebuild it and I thought it would be easy to have a look at the converter while its out if need be. Any suggestions?