• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Telsta boom with bucket

onedavo

I recently bought a 1997 Ford Super Duty truck equipped with a Telsta boom. It is working good now but I have no manuals and no experience with this type of equipment. The only marking I can find on the boom is simply the word "Telsta." There is a label on the lifting mechanism that gives torque specifications for bolts and in small letters at the bottom of the label - "T-0068." It has an Azimuth gearbox with some instructions and the number, "T-0024." I need manuals, advice, anything anyone can tell me would be great.

brooksadsit

Single telescopic boom, articulated telescopic boom? A picture may help. There aren't that many telsta models. On some models the data tag is mounted right behind the drivers window. Once you find out what model it is you can contact Altec Neuco for a manual as they own the remains of telsta.

onedavo

Woohoo! Thank you brooksadsit! It was dark out when I read your reply so I got my flashlight and went out to see. Sure enough, there is a metal plate (very legible) and a label (probably illegible - will try tomorrow). Anyway the metal label has the model number (A28D) and I believe SN. Will need better light and do some crawling around to make sure I have good line of sight. I had to google single and telescopic - I'm too old to be this ignorant but I guess there is no age limit to ignorance.

Think I have found a location where I can get the manual(s) as well. This also thanks to your reply.

brooksadsit

OK I thought you probably had an A28D, that's just a basic telescopic lift. Pretty simple machine. I would definitely look into getting the operators manual as the manual is considered part of an aerial lift and is supposed to be present on the machine at all times. Telsta units were often built with a manual rack in the rear curbside compartment where the lower controls are located. I hope that helps.

onedavo

Found it! I dunno if I feel more like Columbo or the kid who just found the prize Easter egg. It is a xeroxed copy of the operator's manual and service & parts manual in a binder. It was under the driver's side seat. Many thanks for all the help!

If anyone needs a copy, I'll begin scanning it in. It will take several days as there are a lot of pages and I have very little free time.

onedavo

Haven't found any cracks in any of the hoses but the metal at some of the connections has rusted. Can I use silicone grease to preserve the hoses and also rub it on the metal connections? If so, can you recommend a brand?

onedavo

From reading the manual it appears the azimuth drive gears and the azimuth drive are two different animals and require different lubrication. The drive uses a spray lubricant and is supposed to be checked every six months. I can see it and not worried about it right now. The gears lubricant is oil and needs to be checked every three months. Trouble is I can't find where to check or put the oil in. The manual is no help. There is only one drawing that shows the location and that is of the turret with a small arrow pointing in a general location and labeled "azimuth drive grears."

brooksadsit

That's the rotation gearbox, I believe there is a very small level plug on the inside of the turret. I don't remember where you fill it. Maybe you just take the top cover off the gearbox.

onedavo

Once again you have pointed me in the right direction. At least it appears that way from what I can see. Think of an inverted "T." The rotation gear is about a foot in diameter and you can see it by taking off the fiberglass (or some similar material) cover. That is the horizontal part of the "T." Above that is a housing and at the top of the housing is a plate bolted on. Thing is, I can't see much of the housing and none of the plate without raising the boom. I'm hesitant to raise the boom and cut the power on the generator and start removing those plate bolts for a couple reasons. The bolts are not mentioned in the manual so I'm thinking there are no torquing requirement but I sure would like to have your opinion. The other reason is the manual for the generator says not to start the generator under a load. But of course I don't want to be working on the gearbox with the generator running. I'm thinking I can raise the boom high enough for me to get to the box, extend the boom and put a timber under the bucket end of it. Then cut the power.

What do you think?

brooksadsit

There should be no fear of shutting the generator down with the bucket in the air. With the bucket raised there is no load on the pump. Also just for your information all cylinders on an aerial lift are required to have holding valves built into the cylinder, in order to hold a load. So to check the level in your gearbox I would raise the boom ask the way up in the air, you can kill the engine if you want, then I believe the level plug is located on innermost side. I'd only remove the cover if it's low, since I'd be worried about breaking those bolts off. Now if you had to remove the gearbox you would have to be more creative, as you would have to secure the boom from rotating, however I don't think it will come to that. Torque specs for the cover bolts would just be standard dry torque for those fasteners, I can't remember if they are 1/4 or 5/16 but you can easily look up the torque, but it's not critical.
Back to your generator, a lot of those units had the ability to start and stop the generator from the basket, to save fuel and reduce noise. Feel free to continue to ask questions, I'm happy to help and keep you safe.

onedavo

I did exactly what you suggested and it worked fine. With the boom raised, there was a clear view. On the side of the gearbox was something I'm guessing was originally a sight glass but had been plugged. On the top of the housing however, just a inch or so inside the perimeter cover bolts, was a smaller bolt. It was a plug also and when removed it I could measure down to the fluid level. Best I could measure the fluid level just split the plug on the side of the housing.

Many thanks for all your help! You have been great!

Telsta28D..ugh

Did you end up scanning manual would love a copy. We just bout truck with telsta 28D needed a lot of work finally got Onan running now can’t figure out how to engage boom. It’s getting power to the box any idea?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I did exactly what you suggested and it worked fine. With the boom raised, there was a clear view. On the side of the gearbox was something I'm guessing was originally a sight glass but had been plugged. On the top of the housing however, just a inch or so inside the perimeter cover bolts, was a smaller bolt. It was a plug also and when removed it I could measure down to the fluid level. Best I could measure the fluid level just split the plug on the side of the housing.

Many thanks for all your help! You have been great!
Did you ever get chance to scan the manual in ? Would you mind sharing it .Email me at tool_king@hotmail.com .
Thanks
Ed

VICTORG95

If anyone did scanned in..... Please email me a copy to gamvec@gmail.com. Please I really need the manual to check some points of maintance. Thank you. I will appreciate your help guys!!