• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

telemarketers

capt_met

everyday like clockwork i get calls from telemarketers. I have never bought anything from one of them because i don't want t encourage more calls. I was wondering how others handle these calls. i have tried calling different numbers to get on do not call lists but they have't seemed to work. any solutions?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
The best thing is to hang up on them which is usually what I do.

I have had them call back as many is five times after I have done that. Then it gets pretty heated. Some of them can be real jack***es too. Down right nasty and rude. Don't usually hear from those types again here.

Shenandoah

Life's taught me folks like telemarketers who call you have one thing in mind. They are looking for a WIN-WIN deal.

That's right, they want a deal that will give them TWICE as good a deal as the one they'll give you.

grandpa

Sometimes you can call the number back and they will ask if you want to talk or be removed from the list(recorded message's of course). This only works about 10% of the time. I will be watching this thread to see if anybody has a surefire way of getting rid of these scoundrel's.

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Just lay it down and walk off, it's there dime.
Hang up.
Let them talk to a baby.
Blow a whistle into the phone.
Do not call registry 1 888 382 1222 you must call from the phone you want to register Web page for do not call list
Bark at them. :)

speedy

I tell them I'm in bankruptcy, but they are in luck, the court-appointed receiver is in the office, and I can get him to discuss whatever promotion they are selling.

cornelia

I share your sentiment. These callers are indeed annoying! They do not respect other people's privacy. I've been on the DNC list for 2 years now but I'm still getting unwanted calls. I hoped that the government would find time to take care of this issue once and for all. I did not register my number on the DNC for NOTHING.

cornelia

And it's not only me. Even at http://www.callercenter.com too, complaints against telemarketers top the list. People complain about how they're only getting calls from telemarketers. Some came to a point of giving up their land lines. It's a terrible problem that's gone out of hand.

Komatsu 150

The do not call list does not apply to business lines. At least what I understand after reading up on it. I don't even bother answering my shop or office phone most of the time.

Last edited:

Randy88

Each telemarketer has a list to use, so it possible to get 200 calls from people selling the exact same product, credit cards are the worst in my area, to which I finally solved my way, I was tired of all the calls trying to sell me the same card, telling every one of them the same thing, take me off their list, which they did, only to have the next one call back.

Well I'd had enough, so when one called I told them to not waste my time unless they had a card with a 100k limit and they'd hang up, finally someone came up with a preapproved 100k limit card, to which I told him great, now find 4 more with the same limit and I'd sign up today, to which the moron on the other end, stammered some and said, that 500k worth of credit, what would I ever need that much for, to which I told him, I planned on buying a house for 500k and put it on my crdit cards, then file bankruptcy and screw them blind and keep the house, its perfectly legal in my state to retain ownership of one home. Well the converstation got heated to which the guy on the other end was screaming at me calling me a theif and crook and the list was endless, to which I told him, not to worry, the next dozen idiots who'd call I'd get the cards from them instead and put my plan in action. Then the idiot on the other end went into orbit and told me he had the power to make sure I'd never be offered another credit card as long as I lived, I laughed at him telling him how the system works and he was wasn't smart enought to ever accomplish it, to which he blew up, and told me he'd have me removed from every peson selling anything over the phone forever. I laughed and told him to keep on dreaming and when he woke up, I'd have a million dollars worth of credit and my wife and kids could each have their own house compliments of the credit card agencies worldwide and hung up. It took about an hour and he called back, claiming he took care of me forever, seems he was right, I've never had another person calling to sell me anything over the phone, or in the mail since, and that was almost 10 years ago, too bad his number was restricted otherwise I'd call him to tell them thanks, turns out he had the power he claimed he did, imagine that, they can do something usefull if motivated enough. And it works better than the don't call number ever did, some days you just have to outthink them a little bit. Got the political adds to quit calling too, but that's a whole post on its own, works like a charm too when they think you have alzheimers diesease.

mitch504

Warning! Hijack alert!

Not a telemarketer, but, I enjoy telling this story...

Twenty-something years ago, I crushed my right arm at work, and, being young and self-employed, I had no insurance. A couple of weeks after they let me out of the hospital after my last round of plates, screws, and bone grafts, a collector from the hospital started calling me everyday. Everyday, I told her that I would be glad to start making payments when I returned to work, but that right now the surgeon didn't even want me going outside for fear I'd stumble, so getting back in the service truck and being a truck mechanic was out.

After a week or so of the same conversation I decided to have fun.:D
Everyday when she called I'd ignore her attempts to get me to talk about money, but instead I thanked her for calling to keep me company since my wife was now working two jobs and I was lonely. I'd tell her about what the cats were doing, what was going on on the soap operas, and anything else I could think of, while just pretending not to understand that she wanted money. When she'd start to go, I would plead with her to talk to me some more. Everyday I'd make her hang up on me. She quit calling after a couple of weeks.

About 8 months later, I went back to the hospital to setup a payment plan, figuring to make payments the rest of my life. I found that at the end of that three weeks the hospital had written the whole bill off, saying I'd probably never be capable of working again.:confused: It never showed up on my credit or anything.

mitch504

Meanwhile, back on the subject...

With me, it was faxed ads that were driving me crazy. I figured better than 3/4 of that expensive ink and paper I was buying was going to benefit somebody else's business. We'd get 3 or 4 junk faxes everyday, most claiming to be from our corporate travel department letting all our branches know about the wonderful vacation opportunities they had run across in the process of booking our corporate travel. Every ad had a different 800 number on the bottom to unsubscribe.

One day when the weather was miserable, my 18 y/o son didn't want to lose a day's pay but didn't want to go outside, so I gave him about 50 of the things and told him to call and unsubscribe to them. It was almost comical, about 35 of the 50 numbers were answered by the same girl. She said each number was listed to a separate company and she could only unsubscribe us to the number he called each time. By the end of the day they were quite friendly, and he actually asked her out but she was about a 1000 miles away.

I was surprised, but it actually cut way back on them.

excavatorware

My buddy has a good line that has worked for him:

He says, "I can't buy anything today, but I'm really interested to hear your story" Many times he gets "What?" and then he has to repeat himself.

When the telemarketer clues in, they say "Well, what's the point?" and then my buddy repeats his line.....Drives 'em batty.

joispoi

Each telemarketer has a list to use, so it possible to get 200 calls from people selling the exact same product, credit cards are the worst in my area, to which I finally solved my way, I was tired of all the calls trying to sell me the same card, telling every one of them the same thing, take me off their list, which they did, only to have the next one call back.

Well I'd had enough, so when one called I told them to not waste my time unless they had a card with a 100k limit and they'd hang up, finally someone came up with a preapproved 100k limit card, to which I told him great, now find 4 more with the same limit and I'd sign up today, to which the moron on the other end, stammered some and said, that 500k worth of credit, what would I ever need that much for, to which I told him, I planned on buying a house for 500k and put it on my crdit cards, then file bankruptcy and screw them blind and keep the house, its perfectly legal in my state to retain ownership of one home. Well the converstation got heated to which the guy on the other end was screaming at me calling me a theif and crook and the list was endless, to which I told him, not to worry, the next dozen idiots who'd call I'd get the cards from them instead and put my plan in action. Then the idiot on the other end went into orbit and told me he had the power to make sure I'd never be offered another credit card as long as I lived, I laughed at him telling him how the system works and he was wasn't smart enought to ever accomplish it, to which he blew up, and told me he'd have me removed from every peson selling anything over the phone forever. I laughed and told him to keep on dreaming and when he woke up, I'd have a million dollars worth of credit and my wife and kids could each have their own house compliments of the credit card agencies worldwide and hung up. It took about an hour and he called back, claiming he took care of me forever, seems he was right, I've never had another person calling to sell me anything over the phone, or in the mail since, and that was almost 10 years ago, too bad his number was restricted otherwise I'd call him to tell them thanks, turns out he had the power he claimed he did, imagine that, they can do something usefull if motivated enough. And it works better than the don't call number ever did, some days you just have to outthink them a little bit. Got the political adds to quit calling too, but that's a whole post on its own, works like a charm too when they think you have alzheimers diesease.

Not a telemarketer, but, I enjoy telling this story...

Twenty-something years ago, I crushed my right arm at work, and, being young and self-employed, I had no insurance. A couple of weeks after they let me out of the hospital after my last round of plates, screws, and bone grafts, a collector from the hospital started calling me everyday. Everyday, I told her that I would be glad to start making payments when I returned to work, but that right now the surgeon didn't even want me going outside for fear I'd stumble, so getting back in the service truck and being a truck mechanic was out.

After a week or so of the same conversation I decided to have fun.:D
Everyday when she called I'd ignore her attempts to get me to talk about money, but instead I thanked her for calling to keep me company since my wife was now working two jobs and I was lonely. I'd tell her about what the cats were doing, what was going on on the soap operas, and anything else I could think of, while just pretending not to understand that she wanted money. When she'd start to go, I would plead with her to talk to me some more. Everyday I'd make her hang up on me. She quit calling after a couple of weeks.

About 8 months later, I went back to the hospital to setup a payment plan, figuring to make payments the rest of my life. I found that at the end of that three weeks the hospital had written the whole bill off, saying I'd probably never be capable of working again.:confused: It never showed up on my credit or anything.

Mitch and Randy, my hat's off to the two of you! lol :notworthy

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I used to get a lot of calls at home, selling home improvements. I'd stop them and explain that I didn't need anything right now, but that I was in the excavating business, and I'd ask if they ever needed an excavator. One lady took my number, and the company actually called me about a job. (It never went further than that, cause I was busy at the time, so I don't know how they'd have been to deal with.)

Last one I got, I interrupted the guy and said, "(His name), I'm really not interested. If you don't say goodbye right now, I'm going to be ignorant and hang up on you." He said, "Thanks. I get that a lot."

ken silver

Banned
Nice! Regarding telemarketer issues, I just wanna share what I have heard that Bloomberg is publishing an investigative report into the activities of a telemarketing business InfoCision that does fund drives for several national non-profit organizations. The company was found to be keeping a huge share of non-profit contributions solicited by InfoCision on behalf of charities such as the March of Dimes and the American Cancer Society. Many corporations pay 50 or more percent of the profits to InfoCision in charges, a common practice among charities, believe it or not.