• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Telehandler for Snow Removal

Copenhagen

I am preparing for the upcoming snow removal season. What do you guys think about a telehandler fitted with a 102" snow bucket for clearing and stacking snow?

I have a subdivision with about 800 linear feet of two lane road that has to be cleared and all of the snow stacked in one spot. In years past, I have used a plow truck and a backhoe on this job. I use the truck for pushing the snow and the backhoe for stacking.

Last year, we ended up building a "haul road" to get the backhoe to the top of the snow pile because we were running out of room. The year before that, we used the backhoe to put the snow in one of the retention ponds on site but that caused a lot of damage to the landscaping. I would ultimately like to reach to the top of the pile with the telehandler or be able to reach across the pond to dump snow.

It will be about 30 feet to the top of the pile or about a 40 foot reach to get to the far end of the pond.

I havent really been looking at telehandlers so I havent narrowed it down to any specific brand but I will be using a rental machine that has a cab.

What is the average travel speed of a telehandler? If they will reach 15 mph on the top end, I can road the machine between jobs, about 2 miles.

Komatsu 150

I only have experience with a Cat Telehandler, I think it was the second biggest model, don't remember the model. We rented one for snow during a big snowstorm in a desperation move. Our loaders broken, nothing available from anybody. It got us through two nights. We mostly load everything and it did mostly OK. Really not that great at stacking unless you scoop and dump on top of the pile. Biggest problem it is slow and clumsy. No the no. 1 problem is the lack of visibilty to the right. The operator needs to be very aware and careful. I wouldn't do it again unless it was all I had. It is fun to mess with the truck drivers while they're backing under the bucket by sliding the boom in and out.

Copenhagen

i would recommend a two speed skid steer with a snow bucket and blower.

I have been looking at a skid with a snow bucket or a push box. A two speed skid is nice to have when you need to road between jobs but I have found that high gear is not really effective and really puts a strain on the engine and drivetrain when pushing snow.

Most of the snow we get around here is wet and heavy. I have entertained the idea of using a blower to stack the snow but they do absolutely no good in wet snow.

I'm thinking of using my two plow trucks to push the snow to where it needs to get stacked and then using the telehandler to get it piled high.

icestationzebra

North american telehandlers are generally not designed to do much bucket work, especially those with a 40ft reach. If you catch to corner of the bucket you can easily bend the gooseneck, and then you will be buying an inner boom box.

ISZ

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I wouldn't consider a telehandler for snow removal or any other loader work. Poor visibility, poor roading, awkward, boom not designed for the stresses that loaders put on it. A bucket on this machine is really just a stop gap measure for minor work. Great machines for what they were designed for but thy are only a pretend loader.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Gradall would solve visability to the right rear. I don't think they are clumsy running a 10000 cap Lull. Newer machines dump fairly fast. Boom would be pretty tough when retracted most of the way. I would not want to hit a corner of the bucket if running fast due to single center mount of bucket. They should run 20 mph.

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
been thinking of the samething have a gehl and would like to use it for staking snow too. have the unit just need a bucket just a little scared of the tranny not taking it

icestationzebra

I know for a fact that ZF telehandler transmissions are just about bullet-proof. The Dana's aren't bad either.

ISZ

Aero Lift

I agree with all your posts. Telehandlers for the most part are not built for major snow removal. For minor parking lots they can handle the job. If you catch the bucket the wrong way you can do some serious damage to the inner section of the boom. That can prove to be a four to six thousand dollar mistake.

Digger Dan

I played around in 2 foot of snow last winter with a bobcat telehandler and it got old really fast, slow slow cycle times and little to no steering when the bucket was engaged in the pile, and I sure wouldnt like to hit a bump or kerb with it... Bad idea all round

Copenhagen

Well I settled on a skid with a pushbox for moving snow. I dont want to have to be repairing any equipment so I am not even going to consider a telehandler. If the snow pile gets too big, we will just have to bring in a loader to move it. Simple as that.

Thanks for the replies fellas.