• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tele controls?

I have been using a JLG tele to unload bales of straw at the local dairy. Do all teles have the same control pattern of having the up/down and telescope on the stick with the roll on a rocker switch? Seems much more logical to me to have the roll on the stick and the telescope on a switch. Any reason for the logic behind this setup?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Some gehl machines without pilot controlls have two joysticks in line with each other. Once you get the hang of it you can run one with the elwbow. With pilot controlls a mechanic can switch stuff around so you can do whatever you like with your controlls. I personally prefer the pilot and thumb switch option cause I feel its more precise. Maybe a mor eexperienced tele operator can fill you in more.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
Well, you actually want the ability to move the tele, and boom up and down at the same time. When you set a load on a tall building, you actually have to raise the boom as you pull the boom in. So you need to do the 2 functions at once, hence why it is on the joystick. The rollback, there is no reason move it simultaneously with the boom funcions, so it is on a seperate lever or switch.

Hope that makes sense to you.

I guess that makes some sense..LOL. I guess I'm so used to front end loader controls. Why can't they make the control pattern switchable like they are on trackhoes? and I am thinking about unloading hay or using a bucket on a telehandler, where having the roll/dump on the thumb switch could really be a pain. I could see how when setting a pallet of brick 50 ft up you would want the tele on the joystick. Different strokes for different folks.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
It doesn't make much sense until you try to set a pallet up on top of a building or other structure, then it all makes sense as to why things the way they are. You need to be able to suck the boom back in and lift at the same time to get out of a pallet. Forks always stay parallel to the ground, you don't need to run the tilt cylinder once you have the load off the ground, typically. Most Gehl's have 2 sticks, front one is tele and boom, second one is carriage tilt and machine level.

JCBgm

There are different types of controls!!

Most tall boomed machines are as you described, BUT....

Shorted boomed machines that were designed for digging have wheel loader style controls. JCB 541-70, New Holland telescopics, etc.

These machines generally have 23' of boom and are used to load dirt, hay, crops, whatever. The joystick will work like a loader with a thumb roller for boom extension.

Perfect JCBgm, that was the answer I was looking for. I haven't been around them much and was curious as to what was out there.