• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TD7E leaking from Torque Converter

kcarson

I have fluid leaking from the hole in the bottom of the bell housing and am not sure of the source .....one of the pumps or lines going into it. When the fluid runs out I just add more into the trans and it pulls great. So I'm not sure how to go about fixing it...any help would be appreciated.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I would guess it might be one of the oil seal rings in the converter itself. If it is you have to remove the coverter to fix it. Alot of other stuff has to come off first. A service manual would be very handy.

Durt

Occupation
IH Mechanic
torque converter is a wet clutch and the housing is always full of oil... if there is a hole in the bell housing it should be plugged

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I thought he meant the flywheel houseing had the leak I never thought the converter itself had a hole in it. I suppose it could.

fhore1

did anyone take pics of this hole in the bellhousing? My 1984 td7e is statred to leak from the torque converter. it has not statered to get hot but is loosing all the fluid in about 4 hours.

Durt

Occupation
IH Mechanic
did anyone take pics of this hole in the bell-housing? My 1984 td7e is started to leak from the torque converter. it has not started to get hot but is loosing all the fluid in about 4 hours.

I have been a Dresser mechanic for 30+ years... if it has a torque converter it has a wet clutch!! No oil should be coming out while running unless you are missing a plug on the bottom or the housing is broken or a hose leak.. Do you have an operators manual??

fhore1

Excellent I will appreciate your Sage advice Durt, I have a parts manual and a service manual but do not have the operator manual. Any explanation of how to access the bellhousing would be greatly appreciated.

Durt

Occupation
IH Mechanic
Excellent I will appreciate your Sage advice Durt, I have a parts manual and a service manual but do not have the operator manual. Any explanation of how to access the bellhousing would be greatly appreciated.

The bottom belly pan needs to come off in order to get down to the bottom of the transmission and access the suction screen and access the torque converter. The belly pan is large and heavy but it is necessary to remove. The parts book would be the best for getting a breakdown of what is in there.

fhore1

I remove the belly pan and don't see any serious leaks. A little bit of weeding between the bellhousing and the torque converter but I did not see a small diameter plug comma there is one that's possibly an inch?

The suction screen that has the cap with two bolts holding it in if I remove that do I lose all the height ran or just what's in that housing?

fhore1

Pics of td73

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 176

Bigja

Did you ever find out why your torque converter was leaking?

I seem to be having the same problem and just wondering if you found out where the leak was?

hvguy

this is originally from 2012, I doubt the person is still around. I would get a service manual and look at the diagram of whats in there.

fhore1

It looks like the the hose that connects two pipes is dribbling a little bit. But I think the scavenger pump possibly is sucking me fluid out of the torque converter and I just need to change all my filters. But a gallon over 20 some hours I might be able to get my project done before winter sets in and tear it down in the shop when I have more available time.