• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

td25c low speed stg clutch ?

dirtpoor

Purchased a 25 this summer from a farmer knowing it slipped on the low side of the left strg control. He gave me a reman strg control cyl that was supposed to fix the problem. I checked the brake, high and low adjustments as per the operator's manual. The high side was 3/4 turn to loose. Checked the strg control pressure on both sticks and they are dead on. SN of the machine is 6913. I changed all fluids and filters. Cut all filters apart and found no metal filings or brake disc type debris. High side is solid on left and solid in high and low on the right. Strg brake holds on both sides. I changed out the cyl just for giggles. It didn't change anything. Where do I go from here? Is the high side adjustment that unforgiving? This is all new territory for me. thanks in advance Dirt

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Dont know about the 25C but the 25Bs used to sometimes break a bell crank which operated the Lo range steering discs and would cause it to loose drive in Lo range. They dont have clutches as such but large disc brakes on the outside of a planetry gear set, one set for Hi range one for Lo and one for the pivot/stopping brake so if its slipping, the Lo range disc brake is not being applied hard enough allow power thru the planetrys to give Lo range. Could be worn linnings on the Lo range brake shoes. There is a bloke over on Red Power magazine called Rocko 59 who nows his IH stuff could be worth whie looking him up. Hope this is of some help. Liked the 25Cs would prefer one of them to a 8H, Two speed steering was a good system made them very nimble for their size.

dirtpoor

Thanks RDG, I suspected the worn linings but didn't know about the bell crank issue. I can understand if the pivot point in the crank is sloppy or the crank is bent, it wouldn,t transfer the full stroke of the piston. It seems to me that something would show up when you go through the adjustment procedure, but what do I know? I registered with Red power and am listed as a member but I cann't post for some reason. I would love to talk to Rocko as it seems he knows these tractors inside and out. I have spent some time on a D8H so when I crawled on this old girl I was favorably impressed. Not as nice comfort wise as a Deere 850b long track but this is my money now that I'm playing with. Thanks again, Dirt

JimInOz

I have a feeling Rocko 59 joined this site last year.Not sure if you can search his name here..
He works for Brown IH in Canada,I think.
The Redpower site often takes several attempts to join up.I'm unsure why you can't post there.

Jim

dirtpoor

That's great. I just sent you a message. Won't be back in the shop until Monday so no hurry on a reply. Thanks, Dirt

rocko59

Not sure where yours is at S/N wise with the upgraded bellcranks, the earlier ones could break or the socket would get chewed out leaving the shoes with less clamping pressure. I'll check through some service bulletins to see when they updated them, that sounds like the most likely problem though, unless it's a bad ring in the control valve. That isn't a major deal, the seals are O rings in normal sizes. you had mentioned that the screen & filters were clean of any debris, so that is good. When you adjusted the steering, did you go by the procedure exactly? Because the high range adjustment out a little will affect the low range, the movable shoe moves from one to the other disc.

Attachments

• TD24-25B&C-Strg-Discs.jpg
    TD24-25B&C-Strg-Discs.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 466
  • TD24-25B&C-Strg-Drive.jpg
    TD24-25B&C-Strg-Drive.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 460

dirtpoor

Thanks Rocko, I think I'm doing the adjustment right. A little confused about resetting the highside after making the internal adjustment. I backed off 2.5 rounds. The low side seems pretty clear. Is there a way to inspect/check the bellcrank without pulling the top off the case? Dirt

rocko59

Should be able to look in with a flexible mirror to see. It could have a worn pushrod & socket too. I never brought the book home so can't look up much.