• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TD15c. Help learning about Dozer. New member.

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
Hello Guys, I'm new to the site and have been reading and decided to register In hopes you guys can help me learn about my Dozers. I've started farming and clearing land so I bought a TD15c about a 1981 model and a komatsu D21p-7. My questions are mostly concerning the TD15c.
#1- under the seat is a long dipstick. Is this the transmission stick and what do I put in it?
#2- hydraulic tank is incorporated with the diesel tank, it uses 10W hyd fluid?
#3- where is the filter for the hydraulic fluid?
#4- where is the grease zerk for tightening the tracks?
#5- engine was changed out to a dt466 turbo. There are 2 filters on the right side of the motor, threads facing downward. I assume is the twin oil filters? And it would seem the oil would run out of them facing down. Just puzzles me. Are these for motor oil?...
#6- twin fuel filters on the left side of the motor correct?
#7- I found a pdf spec sheet on my Komatsu D21p on the net that is helpful. Still trying to find one on the TD15c. I'm searching from my phone due to delay of internet installation , maybe I can find some info when that's hooked here at the farm, but some helpful links would be appreciated.
#8- I found out how to check and fill the finals by some threads here. And they use 90-w gear oil?
Anything else I need to know ? And positive advise would be appreciated. Thank you Guys!

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Glad to have another 15c owner aboard. Chumduffy is very well versed in these tractors as he has owned prolly a dozen of them and the e series tractors over the years and still has 6 15's of various vintages.

Long stick behind the seat is the tranny fluid use hytran or equivalent, aw-46 will cost you big time. Cap on the right is the hydraulic system, separate from the trans, uses aw-46, or hytran. Yes twin oil and fuel filters. Aprox 20 tons of dozer in the 140 - 150 hp range. To tighten the tracks dig around just behind the front idlers, its in there somewhere. Front idlers are oil bath, thru a little allen screw in the inboard side of the idler. Dt 466's are factory options in the motors and equal or better than the kommie, since your is pre 87ish the 466 is correct.

That's my beast
td15c.jpg

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
Thanks Stumpjumper83 that helps.. heres a picture of mine.
td15c.jpg

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
Found the grease zerks on the yoke,, now where can i find the serial number? seat frame has been sandblasted and erased and painted over.. Id like to know what year model this is.. thanks

oarwhat

Wow I've never seen grousers worn that far down. How about a picture of the track links and sprockets? Too seen how worn they are. And a picture of the front idler it maybe adjusted all the way already.

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
they used it on a barge pushing rocks off and put the worn pads on it because he said it got better traction on the metal deck of the barge, undercarriage is suppose to have very little hours on it, been sitting on a farm for last 10 years after the man died that owned it,, ill try to get pics, ive got a lot of maintenance to do on it when the weather gets better,, ill prob weld on some new grousers. i need to service it and adjust the sticks..

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
Thanks CApt. I have found those but havent tried to pump them yet, id like to change out the zerks they are bad rusty, im gonna get the pressure washer out and clean it good and do a full service on it when weather permits. im just learning about it now before i tear into it, and this is one of the most helpful forums ive came across yet. any tips on filter numbers, capacities check and fill locations would be appreciated.. when i finally start on this i will post a bunch of pictures of how to and where to for future members looking for the same stuff im researching. Thanks again Bud! :)

The grease zerk for the track adjuster is located directly behind the front idler.

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
i haven't had any problems posting pics and don't know what tapatalk is but you might need to update your computer or phone, wish i could help cause pictures are worth a thousand words. and it helps dumb it down for us newbies! :D

I keep trying to post a picture, but tapatalk claims it has been updated and won't let me.

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
i haven't had any problems posting pics and don't know what tapatalk is but you might need to update your computer or phone, wish i could help cause pictures are worth a thousand words. and it helps dumb it down for us newbies! :D

My school has one of these prime units (TD15C) that I have had quite a bit of experience with. Let me know if I can help!

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
My school has one of these prime units (TD15C) that I have had quite a bit of experience with. Let me know if I can help!

Nice little dozers they are, spent over 20,000hrs on a 15B & 2 x 15 Cs that the outfit I was with in NZ bought back in the 70s & 80s, first one in 71 was a B next one in 74 was a C and the last one in 78 was a C. One thing to check is the track frame front guide wear strips if they get to worn it can cause the pivot shaft to break.

ffmloyd

Occupation
Retired firefighter
R.D. do you have a picture? ii have no idea where that is, i have ordered a manual but it wont be here anyday soon, ..
thanks.

Nice little dozers they are, spent over 20,000hrs on a 15B & 2 x 15 Cs that the outfit I was with in NZ bought back in the 70s & 80s, first one in 71 was a B next one in 74 was a C and the last one in 78 was a C. One thing to check is the track frame front guide wear strips if they get to worn it can cause the pivot shaft to break.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
R.D. do you have a picture? ii have no idea where that is, i have ordered a manual but it wont be here anyday soon, ..
thanks.
It is the sliding guide on the inside of the front top roller that attaches the front of the track frame to the main chassis, it holds the front of the track frame in line but allows it to move vertically up and down, there is an equaliser bar that goes across between the track frames that the front end of the machine sits on it has a non greaseable pin in the middle of it.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
MVC-008F.JPGI ran a 15c for a few years and is one of the best performing dozers I ever ran.It behaved very well and could push just about anything it looked at.Those track adjusting fittings are a special breed as you probably know and not always easy to find so be sure that you have the hardware before you pull the old ones out.The most common problem that I have had is the ball that mates with the grease gun head gets a ding in it and you cannot pump grease in it to adjust the track and unfortunately you don't find it out until you have lost whatever pressure that you had and in some cases you cannot use the dozer until you replace them.The fittings are made to bleed off the pressure as you loosen them for safety purposes.Ron G