• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TD-8 drive problems

4xtrak.chmp

I have just recently got a td-8 e series and am having trouble with it driving or pulling it self. When I shift from reverse to forward i have to wait on it to go in gear before letting off of the decel pedal or it will just sit there. Also when pushing a heavy load sometimes it will act like you took it out of gear....when it does this you can hit the decel pedal and when it idles down you can feel it go back in gear. I'm a new dozer operator but have watched other machines run and they respond immediatly when shifted. I think the clutches or converter is worn as well because if you push on a tree it will just sit there and not spin tracks. Need opinions !!! By the way all fluids are topped off .

g_man

Occupation
Retired
What does your clutch pressure gauge read when in gear ? Lift the floor plates and watch your drive shaft. When pushing on the stump with the tracks stopped is the drive shaft turning ?

4xtrak.chmp

Thanks gman...I will check that as soon as I get to run it again...maybe tomorrow. We got a pretty hard rain here today so might be Monday. I changed the trans filter today as well as the hydraulic filter with no change in the way that it acts. Will report back with my findings.

4xtrak.chmp

Clutch pressure gauge is in the blue on the right hand side...guess that would be a strong pressure and the driveshaft is turning when it seems to pop out of gear. Is more like some kind of hydraulic release than clutches to me.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
4X, have you got the help you need ?
I left on vacation on the 4th and just returned yesterday - Sorry to leave you hanging in the middle of your problem. I have some diagnostic pressure test procedures and a clutch test procedure if you need them.

gg

4xtrak.chmp

No problem G. Talked with a local dozer tech and he is going to come out and do some pressure checks on when the time is right. I got done what I needed to with it and I don't need it for a while so I'm in no hurry. I have farm equipment that needs my attention for now anyways.After talking with him and describing my problems ,he thinks that my problem is in the valve body and not t/c or clutch related....I hope he's right. I will post findings when I know what they are. Thanks

Rhino1961

I had the same problem on my TD-8E years ago. I had great hydraulic pressure and it would act like it shifted out of gear when pushing. After putting up with it for some time I pulled and rebuilt the transmission. However other than normal wear there were no notable problems within the transnmission. The problem was on the fwd end of the transmission there is a valve body that directs the fluid to the appropriate gear or direction range. This valve body mounts over the end of the main shaft that has a series on sealing rings on it. Each ring is in place to control the flow of fluid to pressurize the appropriate selected range. My machine had two broken rings and was allowing fluid to flow into two ranges at the same time. This also caused a somewhat higher temp during operation. The cause of the damaged rings was the end play of the main shaft was way out of tolerance. Since shimming and replacing the rings all has been well fo over 5k of running time since.

4xtrak.chmp

Thanks for the reply rhino. I have taken the dozer to a fella who seems pretty knowledgeable on dozers and he did some testing on it and says some of the pressures are to low and thinks the reason being is because of worn front clutches. It had been sitting at his house awaiting repair for like 2 months now. I will pass along the info you provided and if he ever gets off his a%$ and works on it I will post back the final results . Thankyou