• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TD-15 not moving forward or backward

gg2954

20200916_135534.jpg 20200916_135534.jpg Hello all, so we have an old TD-15 Dresser that we know virtually nothing about. Was running good until it stopped moving back and forth, has been sitting where it is since about january now. Still turns on at the first press of the button. Almost nobody in my area knows about this machine, been looking all over for anything that can help me ID the thing but so far have found nothing. Was told that the issue sounds like it could be transmission related, been looking around and my dad took this part off, and as you can see it looks to be bent. Could this be a source of transmission fluid leak? I have no idea what this part is called, my dad has no experience in heavy machinery at all but he says this is a seal from the transmission. Any help would be y much appreciated, as we are new to using these machines and would like to learn. I was told that Dresser is now komatsu, and there is a komatsu place in Kilgore, Texas. Would they perhaps know how to ID this machine? 20200916_135534.jpg 20200922_121846.jpg 20200922_121913.jpg 20200922_121939.jpg y much appreciated, as we are new to using these machines and would like to learn. I was told that Dresser is now komatsu, and there is a komatsu place in Kilgore, Texas. Would they perhaps know how to ID this machine?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
IH Became Dresser, then Dressta, was befouled to Poland and currently LiuGong machinery China, Komatsu dealers should be able to access MOST parts, find a parts manual ID a p/n and put up a search thru the HE Yards for such as the Drive Flange above. All Fluids were good Level? Next up are trans pressure gauges showing any indications on dash while running? Chances are the Trans hydraulic pump or coupling to it has failed.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I'm no expert but if I were to guess that is an International TD-15B that someone has put Dresser decals on. I think International was producing building the TD15C when Dresser bought them out. Look for an ID plate on the seat frame somewhere. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Thats an IH TD 15 B, got the square nose and the older style front idler guides, should have the DT 361 engine and 115 hp. Later ones had a different idler set up and the DT 407 engine, hyd power shift lever but still had the square nose. I spent over 20,000 hrs on TD 15 B& Cs back in NZ in the 70s/80s. Serial number should be on the LH seat side under the armrest from memory, B series numbers started at 6001 in 1963 and ended at 26474 in 1972, 15C started at 501 in 1972 and went on up and changed to Dresser. As for your no drive, could be low on tranny oil, the filler hole and dipstick are next to the seat on the RH back corner sorta under the armrest there is a cap with a long rod on it think from memory u check it with the engine idling , takes SAE 10 wt oil and holds a fair bit as it does TQ, Trans, Bevelgear and steering system. There is also a manual Hi- Lo lever comes up thru the floor on the RH side make sure it hasn't gone into N position. There is a site called Red Power magazine which is IH related there will be someone there who will no doubt have more knowledge. That yoke is the uni joint between the TQ and Tranny if the seal is shot it could be losing Trans oil out there, there should also be a gauge on the dash that shows clutch pressure and it should be in the operating range. Also the linkages from the power shift lever to the trans could be worn to the point of not engaging the clutch packs. Hope this is of some help. Cheers

Last edited:

Dave Neubert

should be able to get a used flange is it from the torque or the trans. And like RD said do yo have oil in the trans not likely that forward and reverse would quit at the same time unless a differential went out was the drive shaft still spinning

dozr

Occupation
excaving
just for thought if bolts goes in and holds drive shaft there is not any thing wrong with that ,now if there was oil in trans and seal was bad it would come out proable when running and short lee ther after first things first you would here a problem with drive shaft and feel it . like they said check oil and shift lingage then if that is good check to see if trans pump is turning and making presser.have to take in steps or you are chasing your tail,we have all been there.

gg2954

IH Became Dresser, then Dressta, was befouled to Poland and currently LiuGong machinery China, Komatsu dealers should be able to access MOST parts, find a parts manual ID a p/n and put up a search thru the HE Yards for such as the Drive Flange above. All Fluids were good Level? Next up are trans pressure gauges showing any indications on dash while running? Chances are the Trans hydraulic pump or coupling to it has failed.

Very good to know! Will try to get a hold of a parts manual. We put in a large amount of trans fluid last time we checked, but the dozer still leaks so we're in the process of locating and fixing said leak. As far as I know, the gauges on the dash do not show anything out of the ordinary, in fact, they don't move much at all. Will look into the hydraulic pump and coupling, I appreciate your input!

gg2954

Thats an IH TD 15 B, got the square nose and the older style front idler guides, should have the DT 361 engine and 115 hp. Later ones had a different idler set up and the DT 407 engine, hyd power shift lever but still had the square nose. I spent over 20,000 hrs on TD 15 B& Cs back in NZ in the 70s/80s. Serial number should be on the LH seat side under the armrest from memory, B series numbers started at 6001 in 1963 and ended at 26474 in 1972, 15C started at 501 in 1972 and went on up and changed to Dresser. As for your no drive, could be low on tranny oil, the filler hole and dipstick are next to the seat on the RH back corner sorta under the armrest there is a cap with a long rod on it think from memory u check it with the engine idling , takes SAE 10 wt oil and holds a fair bit as it does TQ, Trans, Bevelgear and steering system. There is also a manual Hi- Lo lever comes up thru the floor on the RH side make sure it hasn't gone into N position. There is a site called Red Power magazine which is IH related there will be someone there who will no doubt have more knowledge. That yoke is the uni joint between the TQ and Tranny if the seal is shot it could be losing Trans oil out there, there should also be a gauge on the dash that shows clutch pressure and it should be in the operating range. Also the linkages from the power shift lever to the trans could be worn to the point of not engaging the clutch packs. Hope this is of some help. Cheers

Thank you so much for the information! Will head on over to Red Power and learn more. I looked and found what appears to be the plate with ID, unfortunately its all blacked and faded out. I do have the plate on the transmission with the information for it so I still do have a good chance of finding parts for it should it need anything. The information you've given me is very helpful and hopefully soon enough we can get this machine running again. Thank you so much! 20200923_124800[1].jpg

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
You said the gauges don't move much at all..... The trans pressure gauge (if it's working) should come up within a second or two of starting the engine.