• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TCH Fluid specifics

What specific standards does the Case TCH fluid meet? I was wondering if the Walmart Transmission/Hydraullic fluid meets the same requirements. Thanks

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
In it's day, TCH was the premium oil for both AG and Industrial transmissions in Case equipment, without having specific numbers I know that Case recommended a type A ATF fluid as a satisfactory replacement in most applications. Now TCH has been replaced by Hy Tran Ultra for all applications except the hydraulic clutch crawler transmissions in use before the hydrostats. While I am not as anti Wal Mart as some, as my wife has worked for one for 16 years I can say after 48 years in the same shop that some oils have ingredients that are not kind to the V cup seals used in Case's glands and will cause some of the older piston packiings to swell to the point that we had to winch some apart with the winch on a rollback to dissasemble for a rebuild. They were so tight that when worked hydraulically they squealed like a pig when activated. I would use HTU if I were you as it is a proven product and the price difference between that and a bargain basement oil will not rebuild one cylinder at todays parts and labor prices. Just my opinion, but not without applying facts and personal observation and hands on experience into the decision to recommend genuine Case oil. Mel.

dpage02

The Wal Mart-and other cheap brands-usually say "manufactured to met". They do NOT say that it actually mets the Case spec. Unless it states on the container that it meets the actual spec it would be better to stay with Case TCH. It is still available at the Case dealer.

mitch504

My case dealer says TCH has been replaced by HY-Tran Ultra for backhoe use.
In my experience any PREMIUM hydraulic oil will work fine in the hyd. system but for the trans. I would DEFINITELY stick with the Hy-Tran Ultra or TCH if you can get it. They have additives which are important to the life of the transmission clutches and the brake pads.
I agree with melben that the price difference in cheap oil and something you know you can trust doesn't approach the cost of repairs. Some cheap hyd. oil doesn't provide enough extreme pressure lubrication either; pumps aren't cheap.

Last edited: