• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TB 1140 Slew Motor

Hffhvg

Hello!
I just bought a 2006 used TB 1140 to help me around the farm. The machine runs fantastic with only one problem which is swinging. Sometimes when you swing and release the joystick command the machine stops in that direction but is in “free fall” under it’s own weight, if you are slightly inclined on a slope.

This is my first excavator and don’t know much about them in detail so I can’t really wrap my head around the cause of the problem, but my logic tells me it’s in the slew motor. Also I asked around some guys which have owned an excavator, told me the problem could indeed be in the slew motor.

But this problem can be described in more detail, if by any chance some really experienced owners and operators on this site might sense what the actual root of it is.

For instance this doesn’t happen constantly. I found that if I just play with it on medium rpm the brake does not apply at all. It just stops the swing and starts falling under it’s own weight. But if I run it on highest rpm and really put some force in it and run it a bit more aggressively the brake applies about 70% of the time when I release the command, but if on a slope it still falls for about 15 to 30 degrees before applying, unless if I if I quickly move the swing command left and right so the whole excavator shakes a little then it applies on the spot.

The guy that I bought it from hasn’t ran it for very long, because he imports the machines from another country to mine and sells them here. He said as he ran it that to his feeling the swing brakes too quickly than he is used on Takeuchi machines, which might be true when you run it on a flat surface on high rpms. But like I said the problem arises when you are slightly inclined, thats when it’s noticeable.

I also noticed that when you swing around really slowly you can hear “growling” noise from under the cab, which I find somehow suspicious, but at the spot that you can hear the “growling” is the spot where the brake applies normally, even if swinging on low rpm. And the position that the growling is most noticeable is when the boom is parallel to the tracks, so if I swing directly up to the front of the excavator above the dozer blade thats the spot with some “growling” noises and thats the position the brake applies pretty much always.

And one more thing which scared the **** out of me and convinced me to fix this problem. I was moving an excavator and lifted the boom and the arm up to get the bucket behind the wall. I had to clear some stuff behind the wall by hand, so as the brake applied and held I left it in that position, turned the excavator off, hoped down and started clearing by hand. My father in law stood by me an yelled “well look at that” and the excavator started falling under its weight around the swing axis. I quickly ran around hopped on and in the last second started it and started swinging in the other direction so the boom wouldn’t hit a tree. My father in law laughed but it scared me like nothing has in a while. This happened in the following order: I rotated to the front position which always applies the brake, mowed up front with my tracks for like 10 meters, lifted the boom and the arm, swing a little left and right so I was sure the brake was applied since I was on a slope which was, turned the machine off, and after a minute or two the brake released with the excavator being turned off.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give out all the details that I’ve noticed, so some expert that really knows this stuff might understand what is happening.

Hffhvg

Thanks for sending me the Google Drive file. As I read the first page I got a basic idea of how an excavator actually works. There are two more faults on my excavator which I didn’t thought were really important but was a little suspicious of them. One is that the right track was slower (didn’t have as much power output) compared to the left one, so when traveling forward the machine is always inching to the right a bit, and the second fault is that the arm (the stick) war barely able to push the dirt away from the excavator. I got myself a workshop manual and found this section as the picture shows. So I guess the issue would be the first pump? In my case the slew is the problem, the right track (which I guess is the “Right Travel” in the picture) and arm cylinder retracting since it’s harder to push the dirt than scooping it (which I think is obvious “Arm [1]”, because in pump two the boom is marked with “[1]” which would also mean retracting and in that case the machine is strong, because the boom lifts the machine without a problem).

So by these facts is it safe to assume that pump 1 is defective?

IMG_2436.jpeg
Good day
This link may help you.
Kind regards
Uffex

Last edited:

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I suggest, before we assume you have a problem, let us make sure. You have a manual there, in which there is a section for performance check. Use this as a basis for a careful inspection and make a good note of the results. We can then look to see if there is a problem.
Kind regards
Uffex

Hffhvg

Thanks again for the reply. I’ve checked the manual and indeed everything is nicely explained, so even I can make some sense of it. Unfortunately I don’t have instruments to make such measurements nor the skill, even though it’s starting to make sense to me.

If you have read through my post and reply, would you also assume that the pump would be the problem?
Don’t worry I won’t be jumping to conclusions, and I will be having some expert to come around and check the machine out and test it.
I just want to make sure we would head in the right direction with those issues and you seem pretty experienced in this as I’ve seen on this forum, so your opinion would be helpful.
Good day
I suggest, before we assume you have a problem, let us make sure. You have a manual there, in which there is a section for performance check. Use this as a basis for a careful inspection and make a good note of the results. We can then look to see if there is a problem.
Kind regards
Uffex

heymccall

Let's skip the lazy track for now.
For swing, operation is as follows:
Off, and running, swing brake is applied.
Once joysticks are moved, swing brake releases, and replies several seconds after all joystick movement stops.

When swing is initiated, swing brake releases. When controls are neutraled, swing is stopped (and held) by dead headed pressure, only. Several seconds after that, the swing brake applies.

So, drift when parked (off or running with joysticks disabled) is definitely a swing brake friction lining or apply spring failure.

Hffhvg

Let's skip the lazy track for now.
For swing, operation is as follows:
Off, and running, swing brake is applied.
Once joysticks are moved, swing brake releases, and replies several seconds after all joystick movement stops.

When swing is initiated, swing brake releases. When controls are neutraled, swing is stopped (and held) by dead headed pressure, only. Several seconds after that, the swing brake applies.

So, drift when parked (off or running with joysticks disabled) is definitely a swing brake friction lining or apply spring failure.
When you talk about brake friction are you talking about parts 14 and 15 as shown in the photo? And by springs you mean the ones marked with 26 and 28, since those seem to be connected to the friction disk in section E-E?

Gary Layton

I have a CAT 320...we had a similar problem and thought there was a slew system issue. Nope. It was switch issue. Flipped the switch and all was good. Check this thread, hopefully, it will be the same for you.

In post #11 there is a video of what my 320 was doing.

Hffhvg

I have a CAT 320...we had a similar problem and thought there was a slew system issue. Nope. It was switch issue. Flipped the switch and all was good. Check this thread, hopefully, it will be the same for you.

In post #11 there is a video of what my 320 was doing.
I did have the switch turned on. Now the brake applies instantly. I thought that the switch was to activate the hydraulics for tilting bucket since the sign showed left and right on the bucket, and a had it switched on from the start.

I will be looking if any other problems arise, like releasing the brake when turned off. But I hope in those cases the brake never really applied and the machine was just slowly getting momentum, because in those cases ut was just a slight of slope.

Thanks for all the answers guys. Really appreciate it taking your time.
But for the slower right track and the arm not having pushing the pushing force, is it possible that the problem would be the pump like I suspect?

Hffhvg

That wouldn't explain drift when parked, and shut off.
You were right. Turning the switch solved the problem so an excavator always stops when working fast on high rpm, but when trying to be precise and work slower the brake rarely holds. Also when I turn the machine off and the next time I turn it on and lift the boom an excavator just falls under it’s own weight, so the brake still releases after some time looks like.
Also the top part of the swivel motor (which would be the brake valve by looking at my manual) seems to be completely new, like it was changed maybe 30 hours ago.