• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tandem gravel pup

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
Finally got my ducks in a row to pick up a pup and I found 6 in Alberta. The newest- an '83 The oldest and supriseingly the one in the best condition is an '77. Problem I just found out I will need a $15/yr. permit. It's now required on all trailers (in Alberta) older than '93. The reason is in '93 all Alberta manufactures were required (in Alberta) to build trailers with 8'6" axle widths and 20' draw bar hitches.
The permit program begins this July 31/08. However in 2010 the gov't will diminish these trailers 1,000 kg annually until 2013 when they figure everyone will just give up on them.
Is Alberta the only area this is happening?

Prairie Dog

I haven't ever heard of that. I'm in Saskatchewan. I will have to check what their doing with that. Seems like a great way for the trailer manufacturers to sell a lot of new trailers.

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
If the pole on the trailer is long enough it wouldn't be to hard to get some wider axles off a newer trailer. The truck trader has frame clips from rolled van trailers in it all the time. Good luck.