• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tall brick building

gwhammy

I might have a tall brick building coming up that's being condemned. It's three story with an alley about 8 foot wide on one side and a single story on another. The rest faces two streets and a four way stop. I'm a little nervous about this one, I can only work from one street as the other one is a main highway thru town. Once all the legal stuff is over I'll try to get some pictures of it outside and in. Thinking a long reach excavator for few days to get it all in a pile then my excavator will handle it. I just finished a complete school system tear down which went extremely good but it was on a lot of it's own.

gwhammy

Partial as far as I know now. It has one wall failing on the side I have to work from.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How many SF per floor?
What are the outside dimensions?
Are the walls structural brick or just veneer? If veneer what's the structural wall made of?
What are the floors - wood, concrete, steel/concrete?
Interior walls - wood, metal, brick, block?
Flat roof or traditional?

Post some pics when you can.

gwhammy

I'll know more after next weeks court date. It's brick structure I know, from the late 1800's or early 1900's. Bottom floor has a partial balcony area on the back half and third story is apartments. Has some kind of peak roof. I'll get pictures when I can legally.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We use a 350 Linkbelt with a long boom for higher buildings. Latest one, they calculated the amount of fill required to backfill the foundation, and used it to make a pad to get the machine up higher. A lot of these older buildings are pains. We did a school built in the 60s and there was a lot of asbestos to get rid of first. It was in the contract, and we subbed it out to another company, but it took a long time to do.

gwhammy

The part that bothers me is the kickback you get a lot of times on the back walls when you are taking them down. I've seen it several times on buildings and tall houses I've taken down. All the buildings around it are single story. It's really hard to control when the walls aren't the greatest to start with.